Need assistance to ID disease or whatever this is

JK75gal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Folks,

Just getting into the tanks fourth month and added a Sailfin tang to the tank before I noticed the "white stuff". Newbie mistake for sure, but now what? I did look through posts and did not seem to find anything that matched my issue. Apologies up front if there is a post on it.
Can anyone tell me what this is as well as what to do?
Of course, thank you in advance!!! AND yes I need a real camera now...:(
20230429_142434.jpg
20230429_142343.jpg
20230429_142554.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Hi Folks,

Just getting into the tanks fourth month and added a Sailfin tang to the tank before I noticed the "white stuff". Newbie mistake for sure, but now what? I did look through posts and did not seem to find anything that matched my issue. Apologies up front if there is a post on it.
Can anyone tell me what this is as well as what to do?
Of course, thank you in advance!!! AND yes I need a real camera now...:(
20230429_142434.jpg
20230429_142343.jpg
20230429_142554.jpg
unusual for a tang but it has lymphocystis which is a condition and not disease. Often its associated with water quality issue as simple as elevated ammonia or nitrate and can be that of water from LFS and not yours. Assure to provide Good water quality monitored by a reliable test kit and feed nutritious food with fats such as LRS fish frenzy, mysis shrimp, spirulina brine shrimp, formula 2 frozen, nori seaweed basted with garlic extract and small plankton.

OP
OP
JK75gal

JK75gal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
unusual for a tang but it has lymphocystis which is a condition and not disease. Often its associated with water quality issue as simple as elevated ammonia or nitrate and can be that of water from LFS and not yours. Assure to provide Good water quality monitored by a reliable test kit and feed nutritious food with fats such as LRS fish frenzy, mysis shrimp, spirulina brine shrimp, formula 2 frozen, nori seaweed basted with garlic extract and small plankton.
Thank you, It was on the fish when I put it in the tank. Through the bag and being new I never noticed until I put the fish in the tank then it was too late. Still learning, I am going to get one of those boxes the fish store have then put the fish in there first. Question though if you all don't mind. Am I supposed to put new fish in a quarantine tank then move it to the actual tank. (I hope this is not the "stupid question of the day")
So, the last part of your reply is all I need to do?
I have been monitoring the water, the below is actually from today.
Capture.JPG

Thank you again!!!!!

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Thank you, It was on the fish when I put it in the tank. Through the bag and being new I never noticed until I put the fish in the tank then it was too late. Still learning, I am going to get one of those boxes the fish store have then put the fish in there first. Question though if you all don't mind. Am I supposed to put new fish in a quarantine tank then move it to the actual tank. (I hope this is not the "stupid question of the day")
So, the last part of your reply is all I need to do?
I have been monitoring the water, the below is actually from today.
Capture.JPG

Thank you again!!!!!
Youre referring to what is an acclimation box. It is always best to assume the fish has something especially sharing tanks at an LFS and quarantine it 21-30 days, then introduce into display tank with likelihood it is free of bacteria and disease. Yes- again, good water quality and diet and this substance will fall off on its own.
This test kit you have is less than reliable and offers false results often. You want Hanna or salifert brand.
Disregard Nitrate which has more significance in freshwater. I often suggest to get a test from a store that does NOT use Api tests of any kind and to compare with your results so you know where your water is actually at.

OP
OP
JK75gal

JK75gal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ideally, all fish goes to quarantine and then DT.
Appreciate that information. I just googled it and is 2 - 4 weeks appropriate? If so, I really need to catch up before I do anything else. I have added 3 other fish simply using the acclimate and drip process.. :( I worked really hard on this build.. Yes, I know I need to add to that part of the forum ... will do today since I have the time.. you all rock! I want this to go well and get to enjoy... so, thx!

OP
OP
JK75gal

JK75gal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Youre referring to what is an acclimation box. It is always best to assume the fish has something especially sharing tanks at an LFS and quarantine it 21-30 days, then introduce into display tank with likelihood it is free of bacteria and disease. Yes- again, good water quality and diet and this substance will fall off on its own.
This test kit you have is less than reliable and offers false results often. You want Hanna or salifert brand.
Disregard Nitrate which has more significance in freshwater. I often suggest to get a test from a store that does NOT use Api tests of any kind and to compare with your results so you know where your water is actually at.
Ok, I had no idea on the API kit. Issue is though... there are two stores around an hour from me both of which I did take water too where they used the same kit. Question, do I get the same style kit or go with the digital ones? If I didn't say it enough .. thank you!

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It Is lymphocystis - and it will go away - and likely a result of transport. There is IMHO - no problem with the API test kit - the reason for the viral disease is the stress of transport - and it will go away. That said - you do want good parameters - and you should routinely quarantine (in a separate tank) - your new fish, etc - if at all possible. Best wishes. The fish will do fine, IMHO

OP
OP
JK75gal

JK75gal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It Is lymphocystis - and it will go away - and likely a result of transport. There is IMHO - no problem with the API test kit - the reason for the viral disease is the stress of transport - and it will go away. That said - you do want good parameters - and you should routinely quarantine (in a separate tank) - your new fish, etc - if at all possible. Best wishes. The fish will do fine, IMHO
Appreciate the input, I test the water every weekend and put the results in my APex JR so I can see what that looks like in a graph. in my mind, that will be easy to determine when changes (positive and or negative happen). Now that I have hit the 4 month mark I started the weekly water change. I have a 75 gal tank and am going to do 5 gallon changes. Of course if that is not ideal any info is appreciated. I started reading here and watching youtube to see what others are doing.
Thank you all for the details. Do you close the thread in a forum? Or just stop posting.. yup, I am that new at this.. LOL

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Ok, I had no idea on the API kit. Issue is though... there are two stores around an hour from me both of which I did take water too where they used the same kit. Question, do I get the same style kit or go with the digital ones? If I didn't say it enough .. thank you!
Hanna or salifert are reliable and user friendly

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Appreciate that information. I just googled it and is 2 - 4 weeks appropriate? If so, I really need to catch up before I do anything else. I have added 3 other fish simply using the acclimate and drip process.. :( I worked really hard on this build.. Yes, I know I need to add to that part of the forum ... will do today since I have the time.. you all rock! I want this to go well and get to enjoy... so, thx!
yes

frostie18

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
Need help urgently as I now have other fish starting to show signs of the disease or illness my other two have had and since died.
Video link (praying it works ) shows one of the deceased fish before it died.
Quick story is, bought the two fish that died approx 4 weeks ago, had no problem in the tank before hand, in fact two of the fish I've had for over 8 years.
Perimeters are all good, tank set up since Feb this year. All corals are fine.
My Royal Gramma Basslet is now looking pale and blotchy. And my Firefish (only had him for 2 months, may be going same way, although he never stays out long enough to see!
Hope you can help.
Thanks

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 66 44.9%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 49 33.3%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 21 14.3%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 9 6.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back