Need help deciding on best lights

DeepSea1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Everyone,

I am currently wanting to upgrade my lighting to add a broader spectrum.

My Tank:
Red Sea 425 g2 max
Lighting: 2 x Reef led 90
Dimensions: 48x 24x 26ish

Question;
Which would be a better lighting option for my setup? I am trying to decide between getting 2× XR-15 gen6 pros, with 1x xr 15 gen( I currently have) or 1 Reef breeders photon v2 32 or 48inch version.

I am realitively new and have viewed and listened to multiple peoples opinions on this topic. I curious to know what people who have these lights experiences are with these lights and what some of you more experienced reefers have on which of these lights would provide the best coverage for my size tank.

Thank you for advice on this topic.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the XR15 lights on my red sea XL300. They are weak lights and I run them at 100% intensity. You want 2 XR30s but it really depends on the type of coral you want and your rock scape.

OP
OP
DeepSea1

DeepSea1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the XR15 lights on my red sea XL300. They are weak lights and I run them at 100% intensity. You want 2 XR30s but it really depends on the type of coral you want and your rock scape.
Thank you. Do have Gen 5 or 6. I heard Jake Adams talk about the Gen 6 having more penatration and that the 15s would provide more than enough light for most of the average tanks sizes.

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what corals are you growing in your tank? That's the biggest factor for your decision (followed by budget)

Here are my recommendations:

Kessil AP9x. Amazing shimmer and evidence of superior coral color development. Unlimited controllability via Kessil app.

Reefi. top of the line "puck" fixture, all their $ goes into development rather than marketing. worth a look.

Orphek LED bars. These are great for extra coverage/shadow reduction. Combine with a Kasa dimmer for easy control.

kasa dimmer: https://amzn.to/3wmbGX4

Last edited:

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get the photon 50, its 48".
I run 2 on my new 59x30x21.7.
I ran 4 xr15's on my last 80, 48X24X16. They are going on my 50 30×24×16 frag system.
Both are great lights.
The photons are par monsters.
I run them at red 30% white 40% and the rest at 50% and im gettimg 250-300 par on the top on the rocks.
Current and 80 for reference.
20240430_135424.jpg
20230511_092350.jpg

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. Do have Gen 5 or 6. I heard Jake Adams talk about the Gen 6 having more penatration and that the 15s would provide more than enough light for most of the average tanks sizes.
Gen 5. The gen 6 have better spread with built-in diffusers but no difference in penetration that I have noted.

OP
OP
DeepSea1

DeepSea1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what corals are you growing in your tank? That's the biggest factor for your decision (followed by budget)

Here are my recommendations:

Kessil AP9x. Amazing shimmer and evidence of superior coral color development. Unlimited controllability via Kessil app.

Reefi. top of the line "puck" fixture, all their $ goes into development rather than marketing. worth a look.

Orphek LED bars. These are great for extra coverage/shadow reduction. Combine with a Kasa dimmer for easy control.
I have an even mix of lps and sps. Looking to get more stix. Currently, I have a Solar flare, ORA Red Planet, green anacropa, few monti caps etc... Sorry for the poor pic

Attachments

• 20240408_194432.jpg
    20240408_194432.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 15

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an even mix of lps and sps. Looking to get more stix. Currently, I have a Solar flare, ORA Red Planet, green anacropa, few monti caps etc... Sorry for the poor pic
Based on tank size and rock formation you're going to want stronger lights then XR15 as indicated in above posts.

mizukage

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP, I'm in the same boat as you. Similar tank size and Been researching like crazy. XR15s are not powerful enough...gonna have to run them at max settings and long term, that doesn't seem like a good idea. Kessil AP9X is nice, bright white light, unrivalled shimmer but the nature of the light itself, spotlight means there's gonna be shadowing and non a uniform light coverage.

A lot of folks recommending reefi uno pro 2.0 and it looks great...better than radion xr30 at a more affordable price. Problem for a new reefer is...the app and lighting profiles are very bare bones...i am afraid a new reefer might set it wrong and cook their tank.

Neptune Sky is an intriguing option, nice uniform light coverage, polished app. But it's pricey and not a lot of reviews...people also saying that the sky is due for an upgrade.

1000rrstunna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Get the photon 50, its 48".
I run 2 on my new 59x30x21.7.
I ran 4 xr15's on my last 80, 48X24X16. They are going on my 50 30×24×16 frag system.
Both are great lights.
The photons are par monsters.
I run them at red 30% white 40% and the rest at 50% and im gettimg 250-300 par on the top on the rocks.
Current and 80 for reference.
20240430_135424.jpg
20230511_092350.jpg
Whose acrylic tops and how did you mount those seaswirls like that on the euro tank. Looks great.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whose acrylic tops and how did you mount those seaswirls like that on the euro tank. Looks great.
Clearview is the top. When you purchase the Sea Sweeos you will be asked what type of tank you have, rimmed, rimless, or euro braced and they make it accordingly.

Beta reefs.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP, I'm in the same boat as you. Similar tank size and Been researching like crazy. XR15s are not powerful enough...gonna have to run them at max settings and long term, that doesn't seem like a good idea. Kessil AP9X is nice, bright white light, unrivalled shimmer but the nature of the light itself, spotlight means there's gonna be shadowing and non a uniform light coverage.

A lot of folks recommending reefi uno pro 2.0 and it looks great...better than radion xr30 at a more affordable price. Problem for a new reefer is...the app and lighting profiles are very bare bones...i am afraid a new reefer might set it wrong and cook their tank.

Neptune Sky is an intriguing option, nice uniform light coverage, polished app. But it's pricey and not a lot of reviews...people also saying that the sky is due for an upgrade.
Halides rivals the shimmer.

OP
OP
DeepSea1

DeepSea1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are more expensive than XR 15 Radions. reefi uno 2.0 is more expensive.
True, but what I have seen is the reefi uno would be better compared with the XR 30s. Outside of the price I'd be interested to hear what peoples experiences are with Reefi. I know users seem to really like the radions, it is hard to stomach the cost on those with another light that seems to put out the same power and spectrum at half the price.

OP
OP
DeepSea1

DeepSea1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for everyone's inputs based on a number of factors I decided to go with Reefi Uno 2.1 pro. I am going to start with 2 over my tank.

I will post my review and experience with them, once I have a little run time on them.

mizukage

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for everyone's inputs based on a number of factors I decided to go with Reefi Uno 2.1 pro. I am going to start with 2 over my tank.

I will post my review and experience with them, once I have a little run time on them.
Awesome! Yes, please do share your impressions when you get them. I also plan to get them but I am still a few months out.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 44 20.5%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 158 73.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 4.7%
Back