Need help identifying disease please!

xXAXELXx21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Noticed this on my fish, the worst is the Dwarf Angel. I'm not sure what it is but it's small to large white spots mostly only visible while blue lights are on. The Dwarf angle has small spots all over his body and two large spot, one on left fin and one on left eye. all other fish only show small white spots. None are scratching and they are all responding normally to food and still have fast reflexes even the angle. (Can't catch any) I'm thinking it's fluke or brooklynella or lymphocystis?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using REEF2REEF mobile app

20170314_234913.jpg

20170314_234729_001.jpg

20170314_234648.jpg

20170314_234648.jpg

20170314_233253.jpg

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the strong blue lights it is hard to say for sure. Based on your description it is either Velvet or Ich. It could even be both.

Are these new fish or have you recently added new fish into your system?

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Possibly velvet, how fast did this come along?

Does the fish swim in to powerheads at all? Hide from light? Behave cryptically?

The eye could be flukes. @Humblefish @melypr1985 @Brew12

OP
OP
xXAXELXx21

xXAXELXx21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the strong blue lights it is hard to say for sure. Based on your description it is either Velvet or Ich. It could even be both.

I did the blue lights because it was hard to see the white spots in regular light. I'll try to get a picture in regular light though if it'll help identify what's wrong with them.. I did recently add that Dwarf Angel 12 days ago. When I first got him he didn't look anything like he looks now.

OP
OP
xXAXELXx21

xXAXELXx21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Does the fish swim in to powerheads at all? Hide from light? Behave cryptically?

I noticed what looked like discoloration at first in my fish about 3 days ago. They are all acting normal even the angel which is the worst one. He spends his whole day in that back wall just pecking at algae. The only new addition is that Angel which was 12 days ago and I wouldn't of noticed the white spots if it wasn't as bad as it is now. My fuzzy Dwarf lion fish is the only one that's not eating and he is the one I noticed discoloration in first other then the angel and that made me take a closer inspection to the other fish. The only once that don't seem affected are my clowns. None after them are scratching but I have seen some of them swim to my cleaner shrimp and sit there waiting for him to clean them which I hadn't seen before till now.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it's small to large white spots mostly only visible while blue lights are on. The Dwarf angle has small spots all over his body and two large spot, one on left fin and one on left eye.

This and everything else spells velvet to me. That's not to say ich isn't involved as well, but if we treat velvet, it will treat for ich at the same time. The eye looks to be infected on the angel. You'll want to follow the treatment protocol outlined here: Velvet (Amyloodinium ocellatum)

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This and everything else spells velvet to me. That's not to say ich isn't involved as well, but if we treat velvet, it will treat for ich at the same time. The eye looks to be infected on the angel. You'll want to follow the treatment protocol outlined here: Velvet (Amyloodinium ocellatum)

+1 The "small spots all over his body" undoubtedly means you have ich or velvet in your tank. The larger white spots are probably secondary infections setting in, which is common in fish with preexisting parasitic or worm infestations. Flukes are also possible here.

Under the circumstances, I feel QT'ing all your fish and following this protocol is a wise course of action: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/velvet-amyloodinium-ocellatum.217570/#post-2499437

During the FW dip, pay close attention to see if flukes come off any of the fish: https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/video-how-to-do-a-freshwater-dip.214/

OP
OP
xXAXELXx21

xXAXELXx21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thank you! I'm heading to the store now to buy all I need. I'll let you guys know how it goes later.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup that's velvet. Keep us posted!

Back