Need help identifying problem with my blue hippo

AlexT0599

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I noticed something on my blue hippo tang today and I’ve been doing some research and can’t seem to find exactly what it is, I suspect it to be ich but there is a big spot on her tail, if you guys could help me identify and discuss ways to treat my tang I would greatly appreciate it.

She seems to be doing just fine and doesn’t show any signs of being slowed down, but my power went out a few days ago from a bad storm and 2 of my anthias unfortunately didn’t make it through the stress and now my tang is showing some kind of sickness so I’m assuming it’s some stress related illness but I can’t figure it out. Below are some pictures of the problem areas. Thanks for the help!!

IMG_1152.jpeg IMG_1151.jpeg IMG_1149.jpeg IMG_1148.jpeg IMG_1154.jpeg IMG_1153.jpeg

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It could be a couple things - some looks like lymphocystis (which is a benign viral infection) - some spots look like mucus cones - which can come after Ich or other skin irritation. The spots seem too big to be Ich alone. The tail - looks like an injury of some kind. Have you treated with QT medications if ich, velvet and flukes? And - how big is the fish. Any other symptoms - and any other fish. When did you add it?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I noticed something on my blue hippo tang today and I’ve been doing some research and can’t seem to find exactly what it is, I suspect it to be ich but there is a big spot on her tail, if you guys could help me identify and discuss ways to treat my tang I would greatly appreciate it.

She seems to be doing just fine and doesn’t show any signs of being slowed down, but my power went out a few days ago from a bad storm and 2 of my anthias unfortunately didn’t make it through the stress and now my tang is showing some kind of sickness so I’m assuming it’s some stress related illness but I can’t figure it out. Below are some pictures of the problem areas. Thanks for the help!!

IMG_1152.jpeg IMG_1151.jpeg IMG_1149.jpeg IMG_1148.jpeg IMG_1154.jpeg IMG_1153.jpeg
I dont see mucus cones or lympho but what appears to be flukes and possible velvet. If fish isnt breathing heavy, you can give it a 5 minute freshwater dip in water same temp as display tank with aeration and see if any of these fall off. Thereafter is some have fallen off in bucket/container, you will see what looks like fish scales and are actually flatworms which appears on the fish. If so- start with PraziPro treatment. If none, start with coppersafe treat at 2.25-2.5 to alleviate this and monitored with Hanna brand copper kit. Other fish in tank may be infected also and need same treatment

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the spots are too large to be ich. I agree, the spot on the tail looks like an injury.

Do you see the tang flashing/scratching?
Is it eating o.k.?

OP
OP
A

AlexT0599

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It could be a couple things - some looks like lymphocystis (which is a benign viral infection) - some spots look like mucus cones - which can come after Ich or other skin irritation. The spots seem too big to be Ich alone. The tail - looks like an injury of some kind. Have you treated with QT medications if ich, velvet and flukes? And - how big is the fish. Any other symptoms - and any other fish. When did you add it?
I haven’t treated her at all yet, she is about 2.5 inches
I think the spots are too large to be ich. I agree, the spot on the tail looks like an injury.

Do you see the tang flashing/scratching?
Is it eating o.k.?
she isn’t scratching and she is eating fine. no signs of sickness at all, but she is constantly trying to be cleaned by my cleaner shrimp.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven’t treated her at all yet, she is about 2.5 inches

she isn’t scratching and she is eating fine. no signs of sickness at all, but she is constantly trying to be cleaned by my cleaner shrimp.

Posturing in front of cleaner shrimp is also a sign of a fish with external parasites......

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 7 9.0%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 31 39.7%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 39 50.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%

Back