Need help With Zoas

Waggsc10

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm trying to figure out why my zoas aren't opening all the way my nitrates and phosphate are 0 and I've slowly ramping down my lighting and my flow to see if that helps but im just wondering if yall have any ideas I have had them now for 13 days I can try and provide more pictures of my other frags. One of the other frags is a single polyp and it is open about half way like the one in the picture. I have a other frag and it has 5 polyps on it and only one will open fully.
IMG_3304.JPG

Palmtree14

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zoanthids typically prefer some Nitrates in the water. I had an issue where my zoas were almost all closed and had algae film growing over them due to bottoming out on nitrates and phosphates. Do you mind posting all of your parameters? Can you also take a photo with white light?

Upvote 0

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nitrates and phosphates of zero is not good, these are nutrients that corals absorb from the water. So you will want to increase the nitrates and phospates.

It could be lighting or flow, either too much or too little.

And I'm pretty sure I see an aptaisia on that frag plug, possibly 2 of them. They will be stinging the polyp so you will need to remove them.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Palmtree14

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nitrates and phosphates of zero is not good, these are nutrients that corals absorb from the water. So you will want to increase the nitrates and phospates.

It could be lighting or flow, either too much or too little.

And I'm pretty sure I see an aptaisia on that frag plus, possibly 2 of them. They will be stinging the polyp so you will need to remove them.
I was wondering if that was aptasia also.

Upvote 0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 22 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 93 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.8%
Back