NEM LOVERS - Do You Use Powerhead Guards?

ESABOE

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those that keep Aneomes on a regular basis, do you use nem guards over your powerheads?

I have two Red Sea Reefwave 25’s and have ordered a lovely anenome that I hope my clowns will host in.

I’m also very concerned about flow being restricted- which products have you used with wavemakers that protects the nems and doesn't affect flow drastically? Looking to hear from wavemaker owners specifically. Thank you!

Townes_Van_Camp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just tried a printed one out on my tank. It was an algae magnet. I'm pretty sure because of the texture from printing it.

Regardless, I pulled it off for now. I suspect if I ever catch my n wandomg that direction I'll put it on again.

OP
OP
ESABOE

ESABOE

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just tried a printed one out on my tank. It was an algae magnet. I'm pretty sure because of the texture from printing it.

Regardless, I pulled it off for now. I suspect if I ever catch my n wandomg that direction I'll put it on again.
Thanks for responding Townes. Gosh, I would hate to lose this one anemone I am putting in my tank as a home for my two clowns I ordered - the nem was expensive. Hopefully someone will reply with a success story by next week when the nem arrives and is done with quarantin.

Townes_Van_Camp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for responding Townes. Gosh, I would hate to lose this one anemone I am putting in my tank as a home for my two clowns I ordered - the nem was expensive. Hopefully someone will reply with a success story by next week when the men arrives and is done with quarantin.
Put it on. They don't block too much flow. You will have to pull it out and clean it pretty often to keep your power head flowing as intended. But if it gives you some peace of mind there is no harm in doing it.

I say go for it.

OP
OP
ESABOE

ESABOE

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Put it on. They don't block too much flow. You will have to pull it out and clean it pretty often to keep your power head flowing as intended. But if it gives you some peace of mind there is no harm in doing it.

I say go for it.
Thanks Towne. Now just need to find which brand most people use.

Clownfish134

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those that keep Aneomes on a regular basis, do you use nem guards over your powerheads?

I have two Red Sea Reefwave 25’s and have ordered a lovely anenome that I hope my clowns will host in.

I’m also very concerned about flow being restricted- which products have you used with wavemakers that protects the nems and doesn't affect flow drastically? Looking to hear from wavemaker owners specifically. Thank you!
Personally I have had anemones for 8 years And I have never had One Touch a powerhead. I currently have 4 in my red sea 250 with the same powerhead as you.

OP
OP
ESABOE

ESABOE

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I have had anemones for 8 years And I have never had One Touch a powerhead. I currently have 4 in my red sea 250 with the same powerhead as you.
Really! Wow, all I keep reading on this site is shredded nems. But I Guess the success stories like you don’t need to post about it

Clownfish134

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once they find a spot that they like the rarely move the only time my move is when the spilt
20231124_133337.jpg

Kzang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 75%
6   2   0
Really! Wow, all I keep reading on this site is shredded nems. But I Guess the success stories like you don’t need to post about it
the problem is not only them physically moving their foot as they move, you can just release their foot and try to float to a better spot. Thats when the powerheads suck it up and nuke your tank.

OP
OP
ESABOE

ESABOE

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the problem is not only them physically moving their foot as they move, you can just release their foot and try to float to a better spot. Thats when the powerheads suck it up and nuke your tank.
Very nervous- can’t find foam covers for Red Sea wave makers anywhere

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep nems and do not use covers. My bubble tips are in a 6x2x2ft 180g with 4 MP40s.
Nothing wrong with being cautious tho and covering them, at least until the nem is settled into a spot for a while. You mite be able to wrap them with some plastic mesh like what is used in acrylic tank lids if you can't find covers.
The old saying better safe than sorry comes to mind.

OP
OP
ESABOE

ESABOE

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep nems and do not use covers. My bubble tips are in a 6x2x2ft 180g with 4 MP40s.
Nothing wrong with being cautious tho and covering them, at least until the nem is settled into a spot for a while. You mite be able to wrap them with some plastic mesh like what is used in acrylic tank lids if you can't find covers.
The old saying better safe than sorry comes to mind.
I agree on better safe…. I’ll look for a temporary solution

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 171 73.1%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 7.3%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 41 17.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.1%
Back