Nem questions

idk what im doing

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have this anemone I purchased at petco.. Ik nem from petco is always bad but I have noticed some changes and wonder if anyone might have the same experiences. It is either a Haitian nem or a Condy nem is my guess. I have noticed the purple dots at the end of the nems arms/tentacles are also appearing on the lower portion of the arms/tentacles and the result is 2 or 3 purple dots on each one??? Another interesting thing is it has turned flat brown and I’m confused if that’s good or bad.. reference videos below. I did a water change so I can take a pic of the multiple dots just yet but I will update later today when water clears up!

Attachments

• IMG_3506.mov
    15.3 MB
  • 0FEC3580-5E7E-4071-8B00-85FFEDB89E02.mov
    10.5 MB
  • IMG_3984.mov
    21 MB
OP
OP
idk what im doing

idk what im doing

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have this anemone I purchased at petco.. Ik nem from petco is always bad but I have noticed some changes and wonder if anyone might have the same experiences. It is either a Haitian nem or a Condy nem is my guess. I have noticed the purple dots at the end of the nems arms/tentacles are also appearing on the lower portion of the arms/tentacles and the result is 2 or 3 purple dots on each one??? Another interesting thing is it has turned flat brown and I’m confused if that’s good or bad.. reference videos below. I did a water change so I can take a pic of the multiple dots just yet but I will update later today when water clears up!
For some odd reason my videos won’t upload so here are some pictures instead

Attachments

• IMG_3993.jpeg
    IMG_3993.jpeg
    106.4 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_3992.jpeg
    IMG_3992.jpeg
    191.6 KB · Views: 29

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank age, parameters and lighting situation?

OP
OP
idk what im doing

idk what im doing

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank age, parameters and lighting situation?
I will be 100% honest I don’t test at all and it’s conditioned tap the light is a auqaknight a029 or something like that and the age is possibly 7 months or more. I figure I didn’t need to test because it’s grown in size quite a bit. Iv also had a pretty bad diatom bloom in the past week

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't give good help when you don't know what you have. The tap water, lack of parameters and possible lighting issue all could be of concern.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Not trying to be rude, so please don't take offense. Tap water can contain copper, which is toxic to inverts. Over time it increases. Parameters are the go to for questions and nems require solid lighting.

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know your parameters, but that browned up anemone is a good thing. That looks much closer to what I'd expect a Haitian to look like, and that stark white from before was from it being bleached out. I actually think that anemone looks very happy and is coloring up.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks like a Haitian purple tip. It's a fish eater

OP
OP
idk what im doing

idk what im doing

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know your parameters, but that browned up anemone is a good thing. That looks much closer to what I'd expect a Haitian to look like, and that stark white from before was from it being bleached out. I actually think that anemone looks very happy and is coloring up.
It seems my local water has 1.3 ppm of copper is that significant? And I’m afraid to commit to rodi I because I’m worried I won’t be able to afford all the different dosing and testers.. I am trying to convert as soon as possible

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems my local water has 1.3 ppm of copper is that significant? And I’m afraid to commit to rodi I because I’m worried I won’t be able to afford all the different dosing and testers.. I am trying to convert as soon as possible
These are questions I'm less equipped to answer sadly. Be aware that nem may eat your fish. Investing in a 50 dollar RODI system is worth it if you're sticking with the hobby though. Change the di filter semi-regularly if you don't want to test and the RO membrane every year or so. Other cartridges usually last longer.

OP
OP
idk what im doing

idk what im doing

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are questions I'm less equipped to answer sadly. Be aware that nem may eat your fish. Investing in a 50 dollar RODI system is worth it if you're sticking with the hobby though. Change the di filter semi-regularly if you don't want to test and the RO membrane every year or so. Other cartridges usually last longer.
Do you have a link for the di system or can I just buy any old one because I seen on brs they are about 300

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Condylatus , yes and more ornamental. Purple tips are normal and they require basic light and care. Feed a few mysis shrimp 2-3x per week

Reefing_addiction

It’s my TANK and I want it NOW!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I buy my RODI from my local LFS.

Copper is bad for some fish as they are sensitive to it. And as someone else pointed out bad for inverts.

Some people go extreme for testing. But really nitrates phosphate and dKH are things you should test for. Mag and calcium if you have corals is helpful.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back