Neptune MXM - Disconnecting issues

dwright

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

I'm a new Apex user, around 1 months total usage now and I'm still learning.

One issue I've come across is the Neptune MXM disconnecting or malfunctioning to the point my Ecotech devices are showing as "missing" within Fusion around 22-26 hours after the last power cycle.

When this happens it appears the only way to fix the issue is to power cycle the MXM by unplugging the aquabus cable and plugging it back in again.

I have contacted Neptune Support and they told me I was experiencing a hardware fault and they replaced my first unit. The second unit is experiencing the exact same issues so I don't believe it's the hardware, it feels like just a poorly designed product in all honesty.

My question is, has anyone got any ideas or methods I can use where I can remotely power cycle this module? At the minute I'm at home most of the time so I can easily power cycle if needs be, and falling back to Mobius settings temporarily isn't the end of the world. However if I was to be away for any reason I need to be able to do this remotely somehow - IE, is there a device I can buy that I put in the middle of the aquabus > apex that I can control?

Any help would be appreciated!

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can't remote power cycle sadly.

I have owned 4 of the MXM modules, none of them have been working. After replacing the third one, I asked for my money back as I lost patience.

My module was placed within 3 feet from the lights, and yet still loosing it's connection time and time again.

If your second module isn't working, chances are that you're out of luck sadly. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news - the MXM does not work the way it should.

Revert to Mobius. Luckily, as far as it goes, lights does not need constant monitoring/adjusting - and you don't need to be able to do it "on the go", so I decided enough was enough.

On a side note, they rejected my request for a refund - so I had a ceremonial bonfire in the garden in stead. It felt good!

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I own one, TBH it’s sorta in and out … mostly in, but often out …unfortunately :rolleyes:
In the end I was like - what's the point? I spend more time unplugging/plugging in the bus cable than I care to admit!

Nah, threw it in the flames when Neptune wanted to replace it with a 5th module.....

OP
OP
D

dwright

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can't remote power cycle sadly.

I have owned 4 of the MXM modules, none of them have been working. After replacing the third one, I asked for my money back as I lost patience.

My module was placed within 3 feet from the lights, and yet still loosing it's connection time and time again.

If your second module isn't working, chances are that you're out of luck sadly. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news - the MXM does not work the way it should.

Revert to Mobius. Luckily, as far as it goes, lights does not need constant monitoring/adjusting - and you don't need to be able to do it "on the go", so I decided enough was enough.

On a side note, they rejected my request for a refund - so I had a ceremonial bonfire in the garden in stead. It felt good!

What a massive shame, I don't think I'll be holding any ceremonial bonfires because IMO it's not so bad that it fails back to Mobius settings, both the settings are purposely mirrored for this reason.

How difficult would it be to code into Apex/Fusion a "restart" module functionality for remote troubleshooting purposes. Is there anyway to suggest feature upgrades to Neptune or anywhere I can suggest hotfixes for common problems?

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What a massive shame, I don't think I'll be holding any ceremonial bonfires because IMO it's not so bad that it fails back to Mobius settings, both the settings are purposely mirrored for this reason.

How difficult would it be to code into Apex/Fusion a "restart" module functionality for remote troubleshooting purposes. Is there anyway to suggest feature upgrades to Neptune or anywhere I can suggest hotfixes for common problems?
Yeah I get where you're coming at- it's probably "not so bad" ; considering mine would fail multiple times every day it was bad enough though!

If you're mirroring your settings (and have to do that for it to work properly), what purpose does the MXM module really serve apart from filling up an empty space in the controller cabinet? :)

Should they decide to add a "module restart" function, i'd be all for that - but sadly I am not jumping on the MXM-wave no more! :)

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a heads up but mobius looses ecotech a lot for me and people I know so it might not only be Neptune.

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a heads up but mobius looses ecotech a lot for me and people I know so it might not only be Neptune.
Neptune, Ecotech, Mobius....

Same thing these days really isn't? If Aperture can't work together "in house" and make a product that works, who can?

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Neptune, Ecotech, Mobius....

Same thing these days really isn't? If Aperture can't work together "in house" and make a product that works, who can?
Small guys who care and not worried about only money. Does that Exist anymore?
Ecotech can’t keep their stuff connected so having Neptune involved won’t make it easy. For 4 years I never had a problem with wxm and it worked better then mobius and mxm.
My old ecotech pumps have been great and old apex. The ones that are a couple years old and accessories always an issue. Neptune hides from the problem but after getting the manager with month long problems they sent me a box of stuff to replace it and that helped. Sent a perfect trident for service and got back a brick many months later and after screaming they shipped a new one. They will never say we messed up instead they told me I have to sign papers stating I will not bad mouth or say what all went wrong. Go ahead and sue me Neptune I don’t care and have all your emails showing you never once read or answered my emails and lied.
I have the evidence and even recorded phone calls

It’s a shame where we as people are heading

OP
OP
D

dwright

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I get where you're coming at- it's probably "not so bad" ; considering mine would fail multiple times every day it was bad enough though!

If you're mirroring your settings (and have to do that for it to work properly), what purpose does the MXM module really serve apart from filling up an empty space in the controller cabinet? :)

Should they decide to add a "module restart" function, i'd be all for that - but sadly I am not jumping on the MXM-wave no more! :)

The only reason I use a MXM is purely to manage everything from a single app, as much as possible anyway. The feed modes for example, without the MXM I couldn't use the feed mode function within Fusion i'd have to use the feed mode within Mobius and then feed mode on my reef beat app to power off my skimmer.

With the MXM I can power off my return, slow down powerheads and turn off my skimmer with a single button press. I know it seems daft but that improvement in quality of life is worth it IMO.

I've also saved power ports on my EB632 with the use of the MXM, which enabled me to add things like my UV & UV pump instead, which wouldn't prioritized over the powerheads for example.

So the MXM definitely has its uses despite its drawbacks... I just wish I knew what caused the malfunction whether it be Neptune, Ecotech or Mobius...

I'm sure @o2manyfish posted a fix which essentially turned his aquabus cable into a relay which he was able to set to "reset" on a daily basis to avoid the issue but admittedly I couldn't really understand it clearly enough to attempt...

14 foot reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Crazy all the errors on the MXM from others. Mine is flawless and has never disconnected. I absolutly love this module.
I'm controlling 6 XR30 G-6 Radions and 2 MP60's, they all are flawless.

I sometimes wander if its peoples networks that cause these issues. I'm no IT guy, so I don't want in that debate.

OP
OP
D

dwright

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Crazy all the errors on the MXM from others. Mine is flawless and has never disconnected. I absolutly love this module.
I'm controlling 6 XR30 G-6 Radions and 2 MP60's, they all are flawless.

I sometimes wander if its peoples networks that cause these issues. I'm no IT guy, so I don't want in that debate.

Certainly one of the lucky ones... considering this is the second unit with the exact same problem it has to be something environmental. It can't be network based because mobius is based on bluetooth, I honestly have no idea. I do work in IT which makes it even more puzzling to be honest because with the technologies at play it should just work. It makes zero sense that it just decides to crap-out on what seems a set timer, 22-26 hours in my case. Others have been much shorter though...

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only reason I use a MXM is purely to manage everything from a single app, as much as possible anyway. The feed modes for example, without the MXM I couldn't use the feed mode function within Fusion i'd have to use the feed mode within Mobius and then feed mode on my reef beat app to power off my skimmer.

With the MXM I can power off my return, slow down powerheads and turn off my skimmer with a single button press. I know it seems daft but that improvement in quality of life is worth it IMO.

I've also saved power ports on my EB632 with the use of the MXM, which enabled me to add things like my UV & UV pump instead, which wouldn't prioritized over the powerheads for example.

So the MXM definitely has its uses despite its drawbacks... I just wish I knew what caused the malfunction whether it be Neptune, Ecotech or Mobius...

I'm sure @o2manyfish posted a fix which essentially turned his aquabus cable into a relay which he was able to set to "reset" on a daily basis to avoid the issue but admittedly I couldn't really understand it clearly enough to attempt...

I completely understand and i wanted to do all of that as well, i just gave up in the end. I had enough!

Thank you for sharing that URL, I will definetly have a look and see if that is something that I can incorporate in my setup :)

Reign1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Came here to look into MXM as mine has a green light and neptune wont connect nor Mobius let me add this device.
Sounds like this Module is a problem I will have to contact Neptune ..
Following this thread though.

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Came here to look into MXM as mine has a green light and neptune wont connect nor Mobius let me add this device.
Sounds like this Module is a problem I will have to contact Neptune ..
Following this thread though.
Have you paired your devices with the MXM module using Mobius first? :)
After this, you can track down your outlets using the "Systems" function in Fusion.

1707670694298.png

Reign1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you paired your devices with the MXM module using Mobius first? :)
After this, you can track down your outlets using the "Systems" function in Fusion.

1707670694298.png
Mobius doesnt see the MXM. I have power cycled it several times. Mobius doesnt see it. Any other suggestions?

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mobius doesnt see the MXM. I have power cycled it several times. Mobius doesnt see it. Any other suggestions?
Nope, sorry.. You might have another bad one! :(

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%
Back