New 20Gal Long TopFin Essentials setup + upgrades.

braedino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi I am new to reefing and recently bought the TopFin Essentials 20gal long tank on sale. I know the setup isnt the best, but it gives me a starting point to grow from. I am looking to start a tank and learning the cycle and process before adding (2) clownfish, starfish, CUC, LPS, and softies. I have done a lot of research, but need a better understanding of the process. I want to take it slow and do it right the first time.

My questions are:
Can I start a tank with dry rock and dry sand? If so, how would I get to a stable tank before adding any live stock?
I was thinking about the Blade 21in Coral Grow Lights, curious if you would be too much light?
Do I need a refugium or a skimmer with a small tank?
I was looking at the Nero 3 powerhead for waves. Would that be too much or enough?

Sorry if I am asking a lot, I have a lot of questions.

Mechano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First thing is you have a long waiting game for stability. Dont rush fish or clean up crew. Wait for the diatom bloom then maybe a few snails. Wait and be patient.
Also make sure you add some form of ammonia first to get the cycle going

Big thing is patience with this one. Most tanks don’t even stabilize for over a year

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 31 15.5%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 47 23.5%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 114 57.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.0%

Back