New 75g Reef Tank

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like everything is coming along nicely.

OP
OP
SnakeBlitz33

SnakeBlitz33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I drilled the tanks return last night and I was able to get two of the holes drilled in the drain box before my drill battery went dead. I gotta finish it this morning really quick so I can clean off the kitchen table.

Gonna silicone up the drain box this evening. I'll let it sit overnight before I ty to put the tank back on the stand. It would be nice to get some wedges and styrofoam before then though. I'll just have to see how it all works out.

Something else I got to buy is a curtain for the window that is really close to the tank. It may not be a problem now, but I don't want it to cause algae problems later.

I called and disputed a charge on my credit card for affordable aquatic. I feel like they were really going to rip me off. I think I might even cancel my card and get a new one because I feel like they are just scammers. Whoever they are. I'm telling you, do not shop there.

OP
OP
SnakeBlitz33

SnakeBlitz33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just siliconed up the drain box. I'm getting excited.

I know it's sloppy, but no one is going to be looking at it other then a few hundred people online and myself. Lol

OP
OP
SnakeBlitz33

SnakeBlitz33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got the apex jr installed. Going to link up to it and program the outlets when the time comes. I got the temp and the heater hooked to it. I'm buying some cheap chinese led units and I saw where you can program them through the apex, so that's what I'll try to do.

OP
OP
SnakeBlitz33

SnakeBlitz33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually got most of the electrical work done tonight. I really need to install the GFCI wall outlet soon.

Tomorrow I'll be setting the tank on the stand, leveling it and doing the drain plumbing. I need to think about setting up a side fuge or not. I'm considering not setting it up afterall

OP
OP
SnakeBlitz33

SnakeBlitz33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jeez, tough crowd. I guess I could post a picture of an exploding kitten and I still wouldn't get any comments from the mob. Starting to think I'm talking to myself. Lol.

OP
OP
SnakeBlitz33

SnakeBlitz33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Drain box installed and tank is back on the stand. I'll be moving it again tonight to plumb it in. I'm still unsure if I want to plumb in the fuge and water change system at this time or not.

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like everything is moving along nicely! :)

OP
OP
SnakeBlitz33

SnakeBlitz33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Krista.

I got the plumbing dry fit. I don't like the ball valve placement on the left. I'm gonna have to figure out where I want it placed and if I'm going to move the ten gallon tanks into a different position or not. I'll do that tomorrow.

OP
OP
SnakeBlitz33

SnakeBlitz33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I decided to take down the side cabinet and center the tank on the wall. I think it will look much cleaner and more compact. I'm buying a 2.5g ato reservoir this weekend to put inside the stand.

I'm getting much closer to getting water put in it. Now all I need is some decent looking base Rock - which I'll probably order the flat pieces from Marco rocks soon so that I can aquscape.

EricB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I decided to take down the side cabinet and center the tank on the wall. I think it will look much cleaner and more compact. I'm buying a 2.5g ato reservoir this weekend to put inside the stand.

I'm getting much closer to getting water put in it. Now all I need is some decent looking base Rock - which I'll probably order the flat pieces from Marco rocks soon so that I can aquscape.

I got 40#'s of their prime cuts (20#s were cut on one side and 20#'s were double cut). I really like them.

OP
OP
SnakeBlitz33

SnakeBlitz33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought instant ocean reef crystals. I've never used it before. I'm hoping that it will be good.

Let's see,... I need to buy a 2.5g tank for the ATO. I need to calibrate the apex jr. Outlets. I need to figure out how the JBJ ATO is set up - gotta find some instructions on it again. I need to buy some airline tubing for the ATO.

I cemented in all my plumbing tonight. I'm goin to clean up the kitchen tomorrow and move one stand completely over and make it the TV stand.

I also need to buy some rock - I'm thinking Marco rock prime cuts and mixing it with actual live rock from the fish store.

Anyways, it's getting closer to perfection.

OP
OP
SnakeBlitz33

SnakeBlitz33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the system in place and everything plumbed in. I took the side cabinet out and now I'm letting the tank full up with RO water for the next day and a half.

I got to get the tools and plumbing parts picked up and some stuff thrown away. I need to also move a piece of furniture.

It's coming along nicely. I hope to have salt in it by Monday. The LFS is having a sale on live rock for $2.99/lb right now. I'm considering buying live instead of base rock.

As far as aquascaping goes, I'm going for a shelving bonsai look.

The tap water TDS is between 350 to just over 400TDS. Thats pretty bad. Glad I got a beefed up RO system. When I turned it on this evening it did leak, but i was able to quickly get it fixed. So far, no more leaks. Fingers crossed.

Oh, I also leveled up the system- it ended up 1/2" unlevel on one side and at the other it was 1/2" off on just the back. My floor is way off. Heh.

OP
OP
SnakeBlitz33

SnakeBlitz33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By the way, thanks for chiming in Justin! I would really appreciate some extra comments from the casual readers as well- even if it's just to tell me I am doing something wrong.

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking pretty good. Tagging along. What part of Louisiana are you in? If you want to share this with some folks in your state, you might want to look at Louisiana Reef Club.

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have a lot of people up in the Monroe & Shreveport areas. I am down south in Lake Charles. This is a great forum here. I split my time between the two of them. I am GPReefer on the other one.

Why did you decide against the coast to coast overflow? I had a 75 that I built about 15years ago and that is what I built for mine. Worked out really well.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 57 32.6%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 47 26.9%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 57 32.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back