OP
OP
SnakeBlitz33

SnakeBlitz33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got an air leak in my return line. I think I know where it is. I'm going to tape up the joint and see if that was the problem area, and if it is, I'll turn off the return pump and smear a little black RTV silicone on it and wait for it to cure.

I'm probably going to buy a house soon. I don't know what all it entails, but I know that it's time to settle down and start paying a mortgage. I hope I get to move sooner rather than later. That way I don't have to wait for the tank to mature and then have to move it. I'll just buy some pretty fish and wait on corals until after I move.

OP
OP
SnakeBlitz33

SnakeBlitz33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The house plans fell through for now. It's ok though. My heart really wasn't into moving right now anyway.

Glass holes got back to me about the vertex spinner. I'm going to try to decrease the pumps flow rate and see if that quiets it down. If not, then it must have a defect. If that's the case I'll send it back for a new one. If not, then I'll try to find a different solution.

This morning I'm going to go buy live rock and a masonry bit. I want to be able to make some holes and zip tie a few pieces of base Rock together. Depending on if the zip ties show, I might use some epoxy to cover them up.

Live rock and sand will go in the tank today!!! I'm excited to get it all kick started.

I really want to also buy the kalkwasser stirrer and the skimz monzter mini 123 this morning as well. We will see though. We will just have to see.

OP
OP
SnakeBlitz33

SnakeBlitz33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone ever use this? I'm going to use this in my kalk stirrer.

Also,.... The dreaded sandstorm pic!! Ahhhh!!! Lol. Should be good to go in about 24 hours.

Fed my first ghost fish today. Today is the 7th so I'll keep feeding my ghost fish till the end of the month and then take a water sample to my LFS.

OP
OP
SnakeBlitz33

SnakeBlitz33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By the way, I apologize for all the crappy phone pictures. I do have a DSLR camera and all the bells and whistles but there isn't really a whole lot to show right now. Later on I'll switch to the DSLR pics, but for now, this will have to do.

I'm looking into purchasing a photon 48 from Reefbreeders for the LED lighting, eventually. These crappy two bulb T5 lights won't cut it for long.

OP
OP
SnakeBlitz33

SnakeBlitz33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank has cleared this morning. Apparently some flow in the tank has messed with the shape of the sandbed. I think my return pump needs to be turned down quite a bit.

It's looking good so far. The apex is functioning as it should. Smooth sailing so far.

Though, my house got cold last night and the temp dipped down to 77.1. I am thinking about getting a programmable thermostat for the house and a finnex 200w heater with external controller for backup.

The tank is clear! I'll have to clean the sump soon. I like the aquascape. I could probably do with about 30 more pounds of rock. That would put it at 80lbs. I'll get some reef rubble for the fuge. I need to buy one more bag of dry course aragonite for the fuge and the leftovers can go in the tank.

Now I'm rambling. I hope someone out there might be reading this.

OP
OP
SnakeBlitz33

SnakeBlitz33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like I said,... I want maybe 20-30 more pounds of rock which I might add next week.

Im wondering if I should buy lights next or a skimmer and kalk stirrer next. I don't like to wait on stuff. I'm impatient, I know.

OP
OP
SnakeBlitz33

SnakeBlitz33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I did it. I purchased a Skimz Monzter Mini SN123 protein skimmer, a two little fishies kalk stirrer 300 and some accessories. Probably will be delivered by Friday.

kbourque

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice working on a build myself my skimmer and return pump should be in tues or wed. Keep up the updates.[emoji3]

OP
OP
SnakeBlitz33

SnakeBlitz33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't wait to see my new skimmer and kalk stirrer.

I've been feeding my ghost fish. So far so good. I'm not going to test until the end of this month. Unfortunately, the only true piece of live rock in my tank has six aiptasia anemones that I can see. No wonder I like base rock way more than live.

My LFS sells MB7 and I'm thinking about buying a bottle. I dunno.

kbourque

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah my lfs has aiptasia in just about all their tanks. Kinda makes me scared to buy stuff from them.

OP
OP
SnakeBlitz33

SnakeBlitz33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The funny thing is that I didn't see them in the store tank. Oh well, I'll take care of the little buggers soon enough.

Still cycling. Nothing to really report at this time. I'm so ready to get my packages in. I'm ready for another payday too! Lol

OP
OP
SnakeBlitz33

SnakeBlitz33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still cycling. Ready for my stuff to arrive tomorrow. I'll have to sneak it in on Friday morning. Lol

Can't wait to have it cycled.

I have never used a two bulb T5 lighting system, only four or eight at a time. Will two bulbs still grow some coralline?

OP
OP
SnakeBlitz33

SnakeBlitz33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got my skimz installed last night. The thing went crazy with bubbles, but has since calmed down. I fit the kalk stirrer in the place I'm going to keep it for now. I wish that I had room for it in a different spot though.

I'm happy with the progress so far. I can't install that kalk stirrer until next month or two. That will give me some time to get the tank cycled and stabilized.

I guess the only other thing I'll need now is some GFO for the phosphate reactor and fish. Lol.

I'll be saving for new lights in the oncoming months, but will probably be buying more baby stuff- prepping for our second.

Catch yall later!

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 38 47.5%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 17 21.3%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 19 23.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 7.5%
Back