New and wanna start a fish/easy reef

Tstanfill

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys. I've always wanted to have a saltwater aquarium. Recently aquired a 46 gallon bowfront tank and stand. It's not drilled or reef Ready but I'd like to try and start with it. A few questions. First...some say it's too small and it'll be hard to keep. Is that the case? Is it possible to have a nice tank with some hob stuff and maybe move up to a bigger tank once I've learned and have some experience with saltwater. I also have gotten a ro/di filter for the water. What's the most affordable way to set that up to keep water for top off and changes? Thanks. ...looking forward to learning!

Ahruk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
46 gallons is definitely not too small!!! I have a 14 gallon tank with tons of beautiful coral. While I have a diy petbottle auto-top-off (ATO) for my tank, I think if I had a tank that big I'd definitely consider investing in a regular ATO as mine doesn't hold very much and only lasts me a couple of days. Good luck on your build :)
img_1786-jpg.1529

Harse Designs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
congrads,
yeah, the learning curve is much steeper with that size.
nothing wrong with h.o.b. gear just more maintenance and disciple.
water change and mix just get a 15 gal or 20 gal, brute plastic can, you dont need a fish room lol
stick it out when the going get tuff and you will be rewarded, in other words "patience"

3dees

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my 120 gal. softie/lps tank is sumpless. no ato, HOB skimmer, two powerheads, and heater. 150 lbs. of live rock is my filter. a sump, ato, and all the extras are great and can make life easier, but are not a must. a 46 is a good starter tank. much easier than a 10.

Attachments

• DSC_4718_0574_edited-1.jpg
    DSC_4718_0574_edited-1.jpg
    135.7 KB · Views: 141

Oscaror

Back In It
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to r2r :) I started with a 46 gallon BF too, it's IMO one of the best beginner sizes.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 39.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 34.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back