S

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing I learned when assisting with this build:

L-O-N-G tanks make it difficult to maintain reasonable levels for flow to the middle sections of the tank. Thus the inclusion of the SeaSweeps in the middle. While a tad clunky in appearance, they really do get the job done. I have two of them, running Tunze 6090s at near minimum power.

IMG-6128.jpg

Rick5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s looking great, Scott. Remind me what light fixtures you’re using. It looks like an Aqualife with Radions.

If memory serves, you were using one or more ATI Straton fixtures - perhaps on your display.

Digitalfirex

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
One thing I learned when assisting with this build:

L-O-N-G tanks make it difficult to maintain reasonable levels for flow to the middle sections of the tank. Thus the inclusion of the SeaSweeps in the middle. While a tad clunky in appearance, they really do get the job done. I have two of them, running Tunze 6090s at near minimum power.

IMG-6128.jpg
Reminds me

Where did you get the holding container in the area? I'm probably going to tear down my frag tank to redo it.

MartinM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are your plans for water motion on the ends? Considered a close loop at all?

OP
OP
S

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s looking great, Scott. Remind me what light fixtures you’re using. It looks like an Aqualife with Radions.

If memory serves, you were using one or more ATI Straton fixtures - perhaps on your display.
Hey thanks Rick. I am pretty happy with it so far. For lighting, I am running 2 X 4' Aquatic Life T5 hybrids. Each has 3 X AI Hydras. In between those two fixtures is a 6-bulb, 24" Sunpower. They are hung about 12" over the water and give strong blanket coverage end to end. I will test the PAR later today.

My display is the 5' RedSea 525 and has 3 Stratons.

OP
OP
S

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reminds me

Where did you get the holding container in the area? I'm probably going to tear down my frag tank to redo it.
I got the rubbermaid water trough from my local Ace Hardware guy. Don't bother buying one, just borrow mine. DM me when you are ready and come pick it up!

OP
OP
S

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are your plans for water motion on the ends? Considered a close loop at all?
Each end has two return nozzles moving water across the top. Each end also has two MP40 under the overflows, in the center, pushing water under the racks. The MP are running Reefcrest random flow at about 50%.

The SeaSweep flow doesn't really make it all the way to the end, but does add to the randomness of flow in the middle 2/3rds.

I did read up a little on closed loop designs, but decided to keep things more simple in/around/under the tank. I need maintenance to be simple and easy.

What part of Japan are you living in? My son and I did a cool 2 week trip there back in 2014. It was a high school graduation gift. And yes, thankfully he speaks/reads Japanese.

MartinM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Each end has two return nozzles moving water across the top. Each end also has two MP40 under the overflows, in the center, pushing water under the racks. The MP are running Reefcrest random flow at about 50%.

The SeaSweep flow doesn't really make it all the way to the end, but does add to the randomness of flow in the middle 2/3rds.

I did read up a little on closed loop designs, but decided to keep things more simple in/around/under the tank. I need maintenance to be simple and easy.

What part of Japan are you living in? My son and I did a cool 2 week trip there back in 2014. It was a high school graduation gift. And yes, thankfully he speaks/reads Japanese.

I wouldn’t have expected the MP40’s to handle that run, nice. Enjoying your build here and the bank build thread you did!

+1 for the straton, my fav LED light. I have one over an RS200XL, it recently replaced a GrassyCore fixture.

I’m in Osaka. Shoot me a PM if you come back this way!

Rick5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My display is the 5' RedSea 525 and has 3 Stratons.

+1 for the straton, my fav LED light.
I am anticipating needing a replacement for my G5 at some point (as all my Ecotech products have historically had limited lifespans). I'm considering the ATI, particularly the Pro version, but I don't think it has been released yet. I really need a mounting arm, however, and I don't think ATI released one.

MartinM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am anticipating needing a replacement for my G5 at some point (as all my Ecotech products have historically had limited lifespans). I'm considering the ATI, particularly the Pro version, but I don't think it has been released yet. I really need a mounting arm, however, and I don't think ATI released one.

I could be wrong but I think there’s something about German law that makes having a mounting arm a bit dicey legally. I think they can sell them separately but maybe they don’t want to take the risk, not sure.

IMO, the Straton Pro seems like a downgrade from the original, as it lacks a diffuser. Diffusers make such a big difference IME, and the ATI guys did a great job designing it to reflect light downwards. Purely personal opinion, the Pro also doesn’t look as good as a fixture. I could definitely see the appeal if the Pro was modular and allowed additional modules to be connected together (especially if the orientation could be changed), but I don’t think that’s the case.

I can’t do the Radeons at all, any US-market light is “any color you want, as long as it’s blue” :(

OP
OP
S

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He’s a nice guy but I wouldn’t sign anything he asks you to sign.
Just a simple NDA, liability waiver, pre-nuptual, asset forfeiture agreement, noncompete agreement, right of first refusal. The usual stuff if I am "loaning" stuff out. Oh, plus a mortgage lien. All normal.

MartinM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^ Sounds like my attorney.

Any lessons learned from this build, especially regarding water flow? I’m looking to build something similar relatively soon

OP
OP
S

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow impressive build? I wish my DT was half as nice as your frag tank.
Thank you. It has been in the works for well over a year, so I am really glad to have it come to life and operate so smoothly right from the start. (Great. Just jinxed it. Probably water on the floor as I type.)

It was a lot of plumbing to cut/fit/glue. I am competent with that process now, but it took a lot of time and a few small do-overs.

OP
OP
S

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The early Radions were bulletproof. My LFS has some running today that are the Gen1s-- 15 years old? They were easy to open up and swap broken bits too. Hear that is no longer the case with the newer units.

Only two downsides to the Stratons: Mounting options and somewhat bulky ballast/transformers. I had to DIY an extruded aluminum rack for mine as I could not get 3 of them to stay level with each other. I posted pics of it on the main Straton Review thread by reefengineer?

OP
OP
S

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^ Sounds like my attorney.

Any lessons learned from this build, especially regarding water flow? I’m looking to build something similar relatively soon
Good, controllable, oscillating/random flow to a tank of this length is not simple. On a second go, I might give more consideration to plumbing closed loop coming up through the bottom of the tank. I don't like the idea of having too much stuff running along the top & sides. If a tank is hard to clean, it won't get cleaned.

SeaSweeps or Swirls should be strongly considered for the mission. We'll see how they hold up. The Swirls have been around forever and seem to last. Hopefully they share major mechanicals. We know the Tunze quality is awesome.

Roller filters also may have a role in keeping maintenance easy. I may have missed an opportunity there. I tend to keep a fairly heavy fish load and chum heavy. Felt socks do great but are a pain. I am going to try running mesh and just vacuuming the sump for water changes.

OP
OP
S

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They do have an impressive portfolio, I must say. On their Instagram at least... 30ft tank at a museum, fish tank over stairs at Bloomberg HQ etc... just not sure that was needed for the sump lol

I found a local local acrylic shop. Not a fish tank shop, but just all things acrylic. I've been meaning to see if they can make frag racks etc just never got a chance lol this is The Plastic Factory in Bridgeport. I ran into them when I cut my own acrylic sheet and needed weldon16 to put it together.
I've also heard good things about max reef I'm bridgeport. They sell fish and coral, but u didn't know they had a custom tank department, normal aquatics.
Hey, if you still need some frag racks hit me up. I have a ton of spares now that I went with the larger, 15X15 racks. Take 'em for less than half price of new. Kaotic Acrylic. Nice ones.

MartinM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good, controllable, oscillating/random flow to a tank of this length is not simple. On a second go, I might give more consideration to plumbing closed loop coming up through the bottom of the tank. I don't like the idea of having too much stuff running along the top & sides. If a tank is hard to clean, it won't get cleaned.

SeaSweeps or Swirls should be strongly considered for the mission. We'll see how they hold up. The Swirls have been around forever and seem to last. Hopefully they share major mechanicals. We know the Tunze quality is awesome.

Roller filters also may have a role in keeping maintenance easy. I may have missed an opportunity there. I tend to keep a fairly heavy fish load and chum heavy. Felt socks do great but are a pain. I am going to try running mesh and just vacuuming the sump for water changes.
I don’t use any kind of mechanical filtration (all the sponges, tunicates, tube worms, and bivalves on my LR do that very well) so my only concern is water flow. I’ll be doing closed loops though most likely, from the underside.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.8%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 15.4%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 82 48.5%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 52 30.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.4%
Back