Whiskey's 300 Gallon Glass Cages Dream Reef. It only took 22 years!

OP
OP
Wiskey

Wiskey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been too long, but I have some new photos! I did get an FTS, but the glare off my windows made it a bad photo, with the outside getting dark at like 9:30 here right now, and the tank lights going blue at 8 Full Tank Shots are going to have to wait for an earlier sunset.

IMG_6462.JPG
IMG_6464.JPG
IMG_6465.JPG
IMG_6471.JPG
IMG_6477.JPG
IMG_6480.JPG
IMG_6483.JPG
IMG_6486.JPG
IMG_6489.JPG
IMG_6490.JPG
IMG_6491.JPG
IMG_6493.JPG
IMG_6498.JPG

Whiskey

OP
OP
Wiskey

Wiskey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all! I haven't been updating this thread in quite a while - Sorry about that. Late summer and fall gives us great weather here and I've been out running with the dog, and doing a new workout routine and not really taking photos as much. Now that we're rolling into winter I'm sure I will be a bit more active.

The one interesting update I have is that I was struggling with a couple coral things, and I honestly wasn't sure if I was up against low light, or high light. The evidence could be seen either way, and I was starting to loose a little trust in my 10 year old PAR sensor. I've wanted the new one that plugs into the computer and does DLI and everything for quite some time, but it was a black friday deal with premium aquatics that put me over the top.

I actually ended up adjusting my LED lights down about 25% to land at the readings you see here, I may adjust down slightly more after I do DLI calculations. I would love a little more at the bottom relative to the top, but this is a case where I get what I get. I suspect some of the mega high light spots might be hot spots, but I don't have a great way to address that if they are.

Anyway, old picture, but current PAR readings:
300G Par.JPG

Whiskey

OP
OP
Wiskey

Wiskey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This Oklahoma weather definitely makes for a mild winter. How's the tank looking any updates? I'm finally about to setup my 120 after impatiently waiting far too long Lol
Oh cool!! No more car problems holding you back eh? If you have any questions or want to see how some of this stuff works in person let me know. I still haven't done a dang thing with this RO, but if you still need one it could light a fire under me. I did put in a second DI, but I haven't swapped any of the canisters over or anything yet.

Yeah,.. I haven't done updates forever, let me get some pics up.

Whiskey

OP
OP
Wiskey

Wiskey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been a super long time since I've done an update! Sorry all, after working all day on computers, sometimes the last thing I want to do when I get home is get back on the computer if you know what I mean. I've actually been doing a bunch of running lately and trying to train to maybe one day do a half or eventually a full marathon! I have a long way to go though.

Anyway,.. the tank overall has been doing super well! I've had a few issues here an there, and there has been some settling in pains, but I feel like the tank is starting to get fully on the rails now. There have been almost no changes to equipment, other than I got an upgraded PAR sensor and found that my lighting was more powerful and spotty than I thought. In response to that I actually lifted the Gantry about half way up, and the lighting is much more even now according to the sensor. Those figures are represented above in the PAR chart. I also added a GFO reactor and use 2 cups of GFO changed Monthly. This is keeping Phosphate around 0.1 - 0.05 on the Hanna ULR tester. That seems to be the sweet spot in my experience. My Nitrate is hanging around 3.5, but honestly anything that's not 0 is fine by me. I continue to dose Acropower, use the Huge CA reactor, and about 6,000 ML of Kalk. I've had poor luck with the Kamoer Continuous duty dosing pump, the FX-STP2 or whatever. Is anyone else having this problem? I've had 2 motors fail, and one of the roller deals, and it sounds like I'm loosing a bearing right now. I have two of them because they are failing so often, so far they have replaced them on warranty, but I like things to be more reliable than that because I travel allot.

Anyway, what everyone is here for! Pictures.
IMG_6707.JPG
IMG_6711.JPG
IMG_6715.JPG
IMG_6717.JPG
IMG_6719.JPG

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Your tank is beautiful as always!

OP
OP
Wiskey

Wiskey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good!

Your tank is beautiful as always!

Wish mine looked that good!
Thank you!!! Overall I'm incredibly happy with it. I can't wait until my tiny Half Dollar sized Yellow Tang from Biota is big enough and ready to move in. It's so tiny! But it's eating really well in the 40 gallon frag tank, it eats Nori and Frozen food, and I bet it will grow super fast.

Whiskey

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 55 75.3%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 9.6%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 8.2%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back