OP
OP
ShawnSaucier

ShawnSaucier

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice... When's the rock and sand going in?

Sand went in last night. I've got to say, Tropic Eden is by far the cleanest sand I've ever used. 4 bags of live(20lbs each) and 6 bags of dry (30lbs each) in a mixture of mini and regular reef flakes. Still have two bags of dry left..

image.jpg

OP
OP
ShawnSaucier

ShawnSaucier

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, think I'm done and happy with the scape.... Tell me what you think?
image.jpg

image.jpg

Island on the right

image.jpg

Island on the left

image.jpg

Behind the right island

image.jpg

Behind the left island

adupree

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice build man! Tagging along!:pop2:

On a side note, are you selling your stuff from the old tank?

OP
OP
ShawnSaucier

ShawnSaucier

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rick,
So happy to finally get it going. There is still some fine tuning and programming to happen. Waiting for some magnet extensions for the 6105's. They are only good to 5/8". The sump is amazing too.

Diatoms a crazy at this point. I've been using Continuim Gen-M to help with the new tank. Sand is all golden/rusty brown and rock and sand are bubbling away( nitrogen I assume). Hopefully at the beginning of the week I will be able to add more flow in. The two Tunze 6105's. More pics soon

OP
OP
ShawnSaucier

ShawnSaucier

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick update:
Tank is cycling, but I've had to get all of my critters in. Quicker than expected, but everyone is doing fine. I inherited a Mag. Foxface and a juvi Blue Throat Trig. It's nice to see a bit of size swimming in the tank, and more than the two fish I had before. Yellow tang and a B/W Osc. There is a strange dynamic occurring though. Everyone seems to stay near the island on the left side of the tank. They travel to the right side briefly, but mostly gather around the left island. Also a bit of pushing in the main cave of that island, no nipping though.
image.jpg

Other than that, still waiting for magnets from Tunze, more CUC arriving on Tuesday.

OP
OP
ShawnSaucier

ShawnSaucier

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not much to update at the moment. Now is the big wait for the tank to settle and go through all of the early changes.. First few steps of the cycle are done, I'm at the hair algae point. Just going to let the tank sit for the next few months.. My first purchased corals should be from Reefapalooza Orlando..
I have to say that the Tunze skimmer is by far the easiest and best I've ever used.. It is self leveling which is fantastic, and thick, stinky nog every morning. I'll be adding a few more pumps in the coming months, looking at Tunze 6095's. I know a few of you have these on your tanks, do any of you have 3/4" glass and which magnet extensions did you use?
Finally, since this will be the last update for a bit while the tank is going through its cycle, I want to thank all of the guys involved. Pancho, Dillion and Luke at Living Reef Orlando, you guys are the best. Rick at Synergy Reef , you are a true artist and I'm looking forward to watching both your company and tank grow. And Felix from Reef Savvy, again a true artist and Humanitarian. Great work with the St. Jude's raffle and your tanks are amazing. All of you really helped me out in a planning this tank, thank you very much

OP
OP
ShawnSaucier

ShawnSaucier

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So a quick update:
Tank has been up and running since 12/25/13. I've been out of town since the 12th of Jan. My wife has done an excellent job since I've been gone. We haven't added anything until this past week. A small order of Gonzo's Box O Crap. Kinda waiting until Reefapalooza to really start stocking the tank. Current list of fish are
B/W Oscell.
Blue Throat Trigger
Mag. Fox face
Hawaiian Golden Dwarf Moray
I've ordered
1 Sailfin Blenny
1 6Line Wrasse
5 Fire Red Cardinals.

The ATI light is amazing. What small amount of corals that I do have in the tank have had a large amount of growth and the colors have improved 10 fold..

image.jpg

Night shot

image.jpg

Island on the left

image.jpg

Part of the right island

image.jpg

Hammer coral that's doubled in the last 3 months

So the tank is a bit bare at the moment. But it will fill soon. Thanks for looking

OP
OP
ShawnSaucier

ShawnSaucier

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Small update:
Been fighting an algae problem for the last couple of weeks.. I bought a diamond goby to help with the sand, it all went down hill from there. When I originally built the tank, I put sand in first, my mistake. The goby tunneled underneath the islands and things started to collapse. Also, my mistake again, parts of the sand were at 4" deep and as the goby stirred everything up, we'll you can imagine. Fatalities have been my Blue Throat Trigger, Golden Dwarf Moray, and the Goby.
I've pulled all of the rock out, vacuumed and pulled 2 buckets of sand , now at 2"-2 1/2" of sand across the tank. I've changed 60% of the water and doing 10% daily for the last 3 days and probably the rest of the week. All lights are out for a few days to help with the algae. Not sure what the issue has been. Unfortunately I feel I'm getting false test results due to the algae. Will keep you updated

OP
OP
ShawnSaucier

ShawnSaucier

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thought I should post some picks on the recovery. This is a week and a half after. Corals are fine, a few smaller SPS frags lost some color. It has only been fish loss.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

mixer911

Make them green with envy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's too bad about the issues Shawn. But growing pains happen to all of us. Everything happens slow.

OP
OP
ShawnSaucier

ShawnSaucier

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Rick! Sometimes you forget.. Your tank is looking amazing, very sorry to read about the Sohal..the sump has been fantastic btw. I'll post some pics up of it in the next few days.

mixer911

Make them green with envy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Shawn! I am happy to hear that you are liking the sump! Would love to see some pictures of it running!

OP
OP
ShawnSaucier

ShawnSaucier

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It been a long year and a half with this tank. I haven't updated in a while, had a lot of issues over the last year with this tank. It finally seemed to settle down in the last 6 months and I have finally been able to start stocking frags. I just purchased a new camera, and have been out of the hobby for the last 6 years. This is the first shot, still have to sort out the white balance.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 140

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

• I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 5 83.3%
  • Other.

Back