New Build Thread

skrtchsr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Helloooo reef2reef! I've lurked on this page and others for well over a decade yet somehow, this is my first post. Clearly I just outed myself as a forum vampire, sorry for that. :)

That being said, I'm out of the shadows now and am just starting a new tank build. I moved to the tropics about 4 years ago and never started a new one up so I've been out of the game for a little while. First ever reef was a nano 20 gallon. Then a 55 gallon for a very long time. The 55 was extremely healthy and prosperous thanks entirely to this forum for all the advice and the folks at brs.

I figured I'd make a mega thread that can help track my progress on this new undertaking. I have a 125 on the way now and am still in planning phase while it ships here...likely on the Santa Maria considering how long things take to arrive.

I'm going to be building out the stand for it over the next week / weeks depending on how often I can slack off on the day job.

So, on to my first question of what will likely be a million more.

Based on my garbage calculations, this design should be more than sufficient to support the tank without going down the path of overbuilt. Thoughts?

Screenshot 2024-04-02 at 12.43.16 PM.png

Everything on the top is 2x6, everything else is 2x4. The interior will get clad with 3/4" pvc and the top with get some thin sheeting as well just for a touch of weight distribution (The tank is a framed tank so all weight on exterior rim).

I'll post much more soon, just wanted to see what ya'll basement engineers thought.

OP
OP
S

skrtchsr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finished the design, picking up the lumber. Haven't screwed anything together yet so still open to suggestions in build.

Screenshot 2024-04-07 at 5.10.53 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-04-07 at 5.11.21 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-04-07 at 5.11.39 PM.png

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 61 74.4%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 12.2%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 7.3%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back