New here and likely in over my head

isufishtank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm brand new to the hobby with a tank more than 30x smaller than yours but I wanted to say good job man! It takes some devotion to take on a challenge this big even if you are experienced in the hobby so kudos to you for being passionate enough to keep things going AND learning while you're at it! I'll definitely be watching this one, I can't wait to see what you do with the tank :)

OP
OP
gt44ever

gt44ever

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update (w/ pics):
New light and sump powerhead installed
Light: now I'm part of the pink sump room club! Thats a thing right?
Anyway, went with a slightly lower power model that had more complete data on it and was a fair bit cheaper. Dont mind the quick and dirty hanging method. Need to put together something a bit nicer and more permanent.
0227190943_HDR.jpg

Powerhead: upper left of this shot. Put it a little short of halfway up the fuge zone to try to keep yh3e chaeto under the new light. Went straight powerhead here since I just need to move the water locally 0227190943.jpg

Next changes will be arrival of 2 BIO plates which will be seeded with microbacter7. Was also considering dosing that for a bit to try to leverage my skimmer more to get nutrient levels down.
Plates are slated to run under the surface in the sump inlet zone against the divider to the fuge zone. My only concern is there may be a little too much flow here since they should fit snugly across the entire gap and so would have the entire system flow going through them.
Also planning on doing a quick and cheap build to hold some filter socks for the sump inlet. Just some PVC linked together to form a stable base and the socks will go in the pipes. I'll be using 3x 4" socks since I'm space limited in the inlet zone. Not sure how long, I'll need to take a measurement to see how much depth I have to work with.

Once the BIO plates have had some time to establish, I'll start pulling the undergravel out and flip the other Maxijet to powerhead setup.

Single barrel water change tonight since my RO filters need replacing and the new ones wont be here until Friday with the BIO plates. Then another over the weekend since I'll only have one barrel ready to go, darn 50gpd RO setup and limited funds to upgrade.

OP
OP
gt44ever

gt44ever

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like progress!

If you need something a little cleaner looking, I can 3d print some filter sock holders for you.
The pvc will work for now. I could normally print something up myself but my printer keeps misbehaving. Starts printing then halfway through the bottom layer starts slowly moving into the bed as it prints even though I started with a level bed and everything was fine. Granted for now I could only do one sock at a time because tiny printer.
Appreciate it though

OP
OP
gt44ever

gt44ever

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
7c7d45e247f88bfb3fb854b9cccd0b86.jpg

They also sell some really inexpensive options on ebay if didnt already purchase the pvc. I have used some of these on my diy sumps.
Thats not bad. Id look for something closer to flush with the top to maximise sock length. Maybe something to consider when I get to adding the live rock to that zone, or else hopefully my 3d printer will be sorted by then. For now, it'll just look like 3 tubes rising out of the BIO balls. All the connectors will be at the bottom.
The bulk of the pvc is scrap from my skimmer build so costs will be nice and low

OP
OP
gt44ever

gt44ever

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So original sock plan is a dud. Cant find the fitting I was thinking of in the right sizes so hangers it is. I'd like to do more of a plate to run across most of the area that holds the 3 socks I have room for but that'll likely be custom built from a piece of acrylic (or 3d printed if I get something that can print over 7inches ;))

Due to the way the sump is built, I either would need something that rests on top (like Gareth shared) or can go over a very wide span. The top rim has a 1" wide piece of trim. Pretty sure it used to be a display tank before being relegated to the back room. Right now I'm lookong at an adjustable version of the one Gareth showed and one like this:
*CPR SCKITM Mini Sock-it Filter Sock holder with one 4" 200 Micron Sock https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B007HOFNAO/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_TKjECbKAJFXNM
But cheaper on ebay (amazon link was quicker to get to)

Really want to go a custom route so it fits better but not sure how quickly that'll come together now or how exactly I'll be able to build it as my experience working with acrylic is its a pain

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spit balling here.

Maybe buy a cheap piece of plastic lets say an dollar store plastic storage container and cut to the desired specifications.

eee6cdb6571508e18f6517ecb61e260c.jpg

Also the actual sock holder i used on my diy sump. If this helps for what to cut.

Gareth elliott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think what we really need is some michigan reefers to join in this thread. If you were in jersey id be over on any free moment to help. Sure there are some in your area that haven’t read this that feel the same :)

OP
OP
gt44ever

gt44ever

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spit balling here.

Maybe buy a cheap piece of plastic lets say an dollar store plastic storage container and cut to the desired specifications.

eee6cdb6571508e18f6517ecb61e260c.jpg

Also the actual sock holder i used on my diy sump. If this helps for what to cut.

Ya though of that. Main issue is getting something that'll sit well in the space I have. The funky tank lip and divider (which is pretty bowed) sitting a few inches below the top makes for a less than great space to work in. I'm gonna hit the drawing board and see what I come up with. I have a somewhat elegant design in mind but have to take some measurements and see if it's feasible

Gareth elliott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have an idea for clearing out whats in the water column.

Will need
-5 gallon bucket.
-gamma gasket
-poly fill from craft store
-some bulkheads
-some cheap hose
-your spare pvc

03ff15921fdfd4466797eaea4e8ef0c2.jpg

What i use to filter an almost 1000 gallon pond.

I use a mag drive 950 for this but could do substantially smaller pump if its not for primary filtration

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Wow.
You came to the right place to help you in this situation.

I'm nowhere near qualified to comment on a tank this size, but I'd personally get a much larger sump area with a ton of live rock.

That sump now would make a good refugium.

Welcome to R2R.
Agreed!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
OP
OP
gt44ever

gt44ever

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok update time:
BIO plates arrived, seeded and in over the weekend:
15516738882208389484835560776234.jpg
They're side by side under the bio balls for now. Went to LFS for live rubble and they didnt have much on hand so try again later. Did get some fresh chaeto though sonce the old stuff in my fuge was... Well im not entirely sure it's still viable so...
Wife joined me on this trip and found many lovelies she wantes to take home along with plenty of artificial corals that woukd sit dry for months... Left with just the chaeto... This time.

Filter socks are also installed:
15516742306544528862714409907099.jpg
Went with acrylic drilled for the socks and some 3d printed clips to hold it in place. The clips here are temporary as I forgot to account for the angle of the plate on first design so a new batch are printing up now it should sit better with those. Hard as acrylic is to work with, it turned out pretty good overall.

Anither water change with heavy cleaning of undergravel. Still getting plenty of nasty out there. Will be doing some water tests tomorrow to see if I'm making good headway. Ph and alk are finally about right now (8.0 and 7ish dKH).
Tried to get my new to me apex controller hooked up to help keep an eye on things and eventually my an auto water change but won't connect to wifi. For now it's just an expensive wall decoration unfortunately.

Want to take a moment to say thanks for all the advice. I finally feel like I'm learning and actually making some headway instead of fumbling around in the dark. Still a long lomg way to go but it seems a lot less daunting now.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
You’re on your way. Good tweaks

Jr'sReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something you may want to also think about is that most store bought seafood has phosphates added to keep moisture. Especially the seafood that comes packaged. This will fuel algae etc. try opting out for fresh caught seafood or read the packages and try choosing those that don’t contain phosphates in its ingredients.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 60 33.5%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 47 26.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 58 32.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back