New hitchhiker found again

407Hunter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello fellow reefers!

I never knew I’d be so involved in a forum and yet I am. New and excited in the marine world hoping to have a gorgeous tank within a year!

Now for my question, I saw this little guy on my live rock a few weeks ago with some pineapple sponges, did some reading and flipped the rock over. Took care of the sponges but this spidey leg creature is back. Any clue if it’s an invert? Or what could it be? Looks scarier the more I zoom in. 3A494112-D202-469B-8353-11999D3905CF.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_5665.MOV
    42.4 MB

blecki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also leaning towards nem. Don't look right to be legs. What happens if you poke it?

Also - you 'took care of' the pineapple sponges? Whatever for?

Edit: Brittle star legs look kinda 'hairy'.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree that those look like anemone tentacles to me, though I don't recognize which kind right offhand.

The coloration is definitely more typical of brittle starfish, but the limbs don't seem to have any of the standard brittle star spikes sticking off of them, and the way they move in the video seems more like tentacles to me.

OP
OP
407Hunter

407Hunter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree that those look like anemone tentacles to me, though I don't recognize which kind right offhand.

The coloration is definitely more typical of brittle starfish, but the limbs don't seem to have any of the standard brittle star spikes sticking off of them, and the way they move in the video seems more like tentacles to me.
I think it’s too small to see. I too didn’t see any hairy or spike legs. But yeah the more I watch the video the more I can say tentacles. Are anemone tentacles bad or good?

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it’s too small to see. I too didn’t see any hairy or spike legs. But yeah the more I watch the video the more I can say tentacles. Are anemone tentacles bad or good?
Most hitchhiking anemones would probably be considered bad, unfortunately.

OP
OP
407Hunter

407Hunter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also leaning towards nem. Don't look right to be legs. What happens if you poke it?

Also - you 'took care of' the pineapple sponges? Whatever for?

Edit: Brittle star legs look kinda 'hairy'.
Didn’t try to poke it. Will update.

My local lfs and some online reading told me to flip the rock for the pineapple sponges (that was 1 week into reefing). Now I’m at week 8.

Regarding hairy legs. Maybe too small to see? I did have to zoom in pretty good.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Hello fellow reefers!

I never knew I’d be so involved in a forum and yet I am. New and excited in the marine world hoping to have a gorgeous tank within a year!

Now for my question, I saw this little guy on my live rock a few weeks ago with some pineapple sponges, did some reading and flipped the rock over. Took care of the sponges but this spidey leg creature is back. Any clue if it’s an invert? Or what could it be? Looks scarier the more I zoom in. 3A494112-D202-469B-8353-11999D3905CF.jpeg
Im thinking Spaghetti worm

1707356790824.png

blecki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spaghetti worms are good.

But your picture only has the vaguest resemblance to spaghetti worm tentacles. The taper and pointy tip of the still picture greatly suggests a small nem, the motion in the video is more reminiscent of a star - unless it's sped up?

I was asking about the pineapple sponges because I really do not understand why you would want to get rid of them.

Regarding hairy legs. Maybe too small to see? I did have to zoom in pretty good.
I think you'd be able to see them in that picture. The 'hairs' are at least as long as they tentacle is wide. But, there does seem to be a hint of them in the video. If you're set on killing the rock, then I suggest getting some tweezers and grabbing a tentacle and pulling. If it's a star you will know quickly as you're likely to pull out the body.

If it is a brittle star, hang on to it. Black and white ones aren't too common. If it's not, well, doesn't matter, you're killing the rock anyway.

OP
OP
407Hunter

407Hunter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spaghetti worms are good.

But your picture only has the vaguest resemblance to spaghetti worm tentacles. The taper and pointy tip of the still picture greatly suggests a small nem, the motion in the video is more reminiscent of a star - unless it's sped up?

I was asking about the pineapple sponges because I really do not understand why you would want to get rid of them.

I think you'd be able to see them in that picture. The 'hairs' are at least as long as they tentacle is wide. But, there does seem to be a hint of them in the video. If you're set on killing the rock, then I suggest getting some tweezers and grabbing a tentacle and pulling. If it's a star you will know quickly as you're likely to pull out the body.

If it is a brittle star, hang on to it. Black and white ones aren't too common. If it's not, well, doesn't matter, you're killing the rock anyway.
Tried my best to poke at it.
So with the pineapple sponges, like I said others said flip the rock over. Now I’m seeing some as I am moving this rock around and won’t be doing so for your sake .
The video isn’t sped up they’re situated under my filter. As soon as i shut off the filter they won’t wiggle as much and will sorta retract. Now hers a somewhat good video of me flipping the rock to the side to get a good video and poke at them. They retract into a small crevice. Can’t see the base of it.
Oh the best part!! I see spikes at the legs. Somewhat resembling a brittle star. But you’ll have to zoom in. The Live Photo shows it better.

I’m scared if I do the tweezers it’ll rip the leg off.
Now come to think of it maybe won’t kill the rock. It’s actually greener on the other side and looks healthy. Maybe that’s good.

Attachments

• 976E995D-234A-4E1A-A89C-C372EEFCE318.jpeg
    976E995D-234A-4E1A-A89C-C372EEFCE318.jpeg
    118.3 KB · Views: 27
OP
OP
407Hunter

407Hunter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tried my best to poke at it.
So with the pineapple sponges, like I said others said flip the rock over. Now I’m seeing some as I am moving this rock around and won’t be doing so for your sake .
The video isn’t sped up they’re situated under my filter. As soon as i shut off the filter they won’t wiggle as much and will sorta retract. Now hers a somewhat good video of me flipping the rock to the side to get a good video and poke at them. They retract into a small crevice. Can’t see the base of it.
Oh the best part!! I see spikes at the legs. Somewhat resembling a brittle star. But you’ll have to zoom in. The Live Photo shows it better.

I’m scared if I do the tweezers it’ll rip the leg off.
Now come to think of it maybe won’t kill the rock. It’s actually greener on the other side and looks healthy.
Maybe that’s good.

OP
OP
407Hunter

407Hunter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Drinking Straw for size reference. Filter flow on above critter. Retracts when touched or about to be touched.

NeedAReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nem of some kinds probably apaisia or related. a star would not be in same spot all the time for sure. that is my guess

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 2 4.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 2 4.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 42 84.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 6.0%
Back