OP
OP
ralquist

ralquist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Quick morning update, the nem survived the night or looked alive this morning with a flash light! Was trying to get it to eat most of last night, spit out everything but finally took one pellet of LPS food soaked in selcon! Ordered a better acclimation box since I have a new one coming tomorrow, going to get crowded for a week or 2 while this other tank finishes its cycle.

OP
OP
ralquist

ralquist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Nem I think is looking better to me, ate a piece of mysis shrimp so that’s good!
IMG_4480.jpeg

OP
OP
ralquist

ralquist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sorry this is long!
Realized I had left out a update which now is giving be some issues.
First I was not happy with my fuge in the first overflow below my filter floss in the Intank media basket. The hair algae was growing very well back there but it was the coralline buildup that was totally blocking any light, not as easy to scrape off the plastic and was getting pretty scratched. So I decided to try a filter floss holder instead of the media basket. I didn't think my fuge was doing much but my phosphate numbers have been climbing back up since this change. Chato is not getting much light as it just sinks and stays in the bottom of that chamber, was growing decent and was having to remove half before the change. I also have my UV pump next door in the second chamber so it really sucks the chato down.

How can I rework the AIO chambers to run all I want?

I've been on and off the ledge with my Tunze skimmer, its a fine product but believe the way I have to put it into a baffle is to restrictive (baffle size is 3.5x4.7) (Tunze size 3.5x4.3) and not working as intended. Had previously ordered a AquaMaxx HOB 1.5 about the same day I received some good advise to try from Tunze. Sent the AquaMaxx back and wanted to give Tunze one more shot...

With my UV, I quickly realized I'm not getting the flow required (aiming for 700gph) Using the TMC 2500 maxed out at 660gph(picked because the only size I could find to fix in a 3.5x4.7 compartment) but I have about 4ft of hose and 2-90 elbows in that line so not even close to the flow I want. Also noticed I've got algae growing inside the intake and output hosing.
Need to get a larger pump with little space...

Started looking at my return flow, I'm using x2 mightyjet dc (326gph) return pumps and are set running at the speed 1.6 (283gph) each for a total of 566gph.

The plan
-Ordered Aquamaxx HOB 1.5 to free up some chamber space and think the design will improve my skimming. On sale wahoo lol
-Ordered a Y fitting for return lines and tubing for UV, will replace the Mightyjet pumps for the TMC 2500 I'm using for UV. Will give me up to 660gph for return(don't love not having 2 pumps for fail safe)
-Ordered AI Axis 90 for the UV which will max out at 925gph, moving it to the center chamber I believe I can shorten up the length of the hose by a foot and should get to 700gph without issue.
-Ordered an Intank fuge basket for the second chamber, will solve my light bleeding at night into the display as well! Cut a new window in the back of the tank and mount the light. Will still deal with coralline on the plastic but will tackle that once everything is set.
I'll try and add some pictures tonight.

Side note it’s new SEA CRITTER day! I've got a new little acro frag and an anemone delivered keeping temp right while I finish work! Don't have the convenience of being home for delivery so work is the next best thing!
IMG_4483.jpeg

Working extra hard today…haha
IMG_4484.jpeg

OP
OP
ralquist

ralquist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
New anemone is in! Plan to keep in the box for a bit. I’ve got a spot in mind but know it’s not up to me!
IMG_4485.jpeg
IMG_4486.jpeg

OP
OP
ralquist

ralquist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
New Acro had polyps out still in the shipping box, seemed it was on a pretty nasty frag. Thankfully popped off in one piece. Not my best glue job but it will do!
IMG_4510.jpeg

OP
OP
ralquist

ralquist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
New aquamaxx skimmer has been installed! Had to modify and add length to the intake and outflow. That was my fault for not realizing it doesn’t work on a AIO. Need a bubble stopper, stupid they don’t come with. It seems to be a beast, visually way more better than the Tunze. You can really see the skimming at work, has to help maintain my ph as well. It is large and obtrusive compared to the Tunze.
IMG_4632.jpeg
IMG_4633.jpeg

This was possible by removing my UV and Fuge, changing places. Reinstalled my old inTank media basket with filter floss, carbon that was hanging in the return changer was also placed there. Fuge moved to where the Tunze was, got an inTank fuge basket, measured and cut a section of the black wrapping the back of the aquarium. Used Velcro to mount the light, will see how it works otherwise I will mount on the wall like before. This way keeps down on the light spill at night.
IMG_4638.jpeg
IMG_4639.jpeg

Had to citrus bath my pump that was powering the uv, will plan tomorrow to use this with new tubing for a return. Then install the new AI return pump for the uv, believe I’m going to be able to shorten the total run length by almost half!!! This all took way longer than it should have…haha

OP
OP
ralquist

ralquist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well despite telling myself to stop adding coral and do not buy single polyp zoas I did it again. Last round with high end zoas ended with a 1 day delay in shipping and half died in a short time, these came this morning looking good and on time! 5 individual zoa polyps and the 1 little mushroom baby, now I'll be a worried nervous wreck for about a week lol! Back in the work bucket holding temp until I can run home and get them settled in!
IMG_4658.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
ralquist

ralquist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This torch in the middle is really stretching, on a 45 mount on the back wall but it’s long!
IMG_4669.jpeg
IMG_4668.jpeg
I guess as long as the flow is going it’s not going to sting, believe it got the top of my acro frag or it’s something else. Just gunna keep watching to see if it gets worse, maybe a short iodine bath I don’t know really.
IMG_4670.jpeg

Added some nem gaurds, hate them but is what it is lol. Thinking about freeing one, the other is looking way better but need quite a bit more time. Told the fish breeder, he said “o I meant to tell you I get the names confused, it’s a Chicago SB not a Colorado”. I’m just happy it’s doing better and alive haha!
IMG_4671.jpeg
IMG_4672.jpeg

New mushroom is tiny tiny but hope to grow into a beauty like its momma! Sorry bad blurry
IMG_4675.jpeg
Zoas are still trying to get comfortable, haven’t opened up fully yet… fingers crossed. Snail keeps stomping them!
IMG_4673.jpeg

OP
OP
ralquist

ralquist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Tonight’s the night! I’m going to be watching this like a hawk or set alarms to check it later, supplies are set out ready to move things as needed.
IMG_4688.jpeg

My LPS across the board is looking really fluffy tonight. New zoas still adjusting, hopefully get settled in.
IMG_4694.jpeg
IMG_4695.jpeg
IMG_4698.jpeg
IMG_4696.jpeg

Down to just one leather in the tank, a Fiji yellow toad I had moved just a few weeks ago. It’s doing so good there I hate to move it. Once the nem is settled my goal is to clear out the large frag rack and mount some coral.

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forgot also Feb 26th 2023 was water in aquarium, one year in Wahooo!!!:zany-face:
Lots of ups and down but still loving every min of the hobby!… mostly lol
Looks a bit different!
IMG_4699.jpeg
IMG_4703.jpeg
Wow, what a beautiful one year transformation! Congrats!!

OP
OP
ralquist

ralquist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well I fell asleep during watch duty... made it till about 3am, to my surprise the nem stayed put! Now that I'm officially sleep walking at work, I'm thinking it was just waiting for me to leave and its actively trying to crawl into a powerhead or overflow :face-with-spiral-eyes: lol.
Season 1 Episode 3 GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

Fishy Guy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I fell asleep during watch duty... made it till about 3am, to my surprise the nem stayed put! Now that I'm officially sleep walking at work, I'm thinking it was just waiting for me to leave and its actively trying to crawl into a powerhead or overflow :face-with-spiral-eyes: lol.
Season 1 Episode 3 GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants
Let's hope not ha

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 70 75.3%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 11.8%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back