New Nano-Cube 6 question about livestock

prion27

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just started a JBJ Nano-Cube 6 that I received from a friend. I am curious if a small yellow tang would be too big or would work. I was thinking a couple of tiny Clowns and maybe the yellow tang. Any thoughts about if that would be too much fish for that small tank.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1713220483537.png

NotReefsafe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please do a lot more research before you put ant fish in the tank. A 6 gallon tank could hold some of the smallest species of gobies, such as trimma or eviota or yasha or cleaners. Or inverts. But NOT clowns and CERTAINLY not a tang of any kind.

gunnarmcc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a 6gal tank is much to small for any of the species of tang and personally for me too small for a a pair of clowns. look at nano gobies for a tank that size.

OP
OP
P

prion27

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please do a lot more research before you put ant fish in the tank. A 6 gallon tank could hold some of the smallest species of gobies, such as trimma or eviota or yasha or cleaners. Or inverts. But NOT clowns and CERTAINLY not a tang of any kind.
Thank you for the feedback! I greatly appreciate it!

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yellow tangs get to something like 6-8" long, and are extremely active fish that need large tanks even as juveniles. It should, frankly, be sort of obvious why that wouldn't be appropriate for what is quite a small tank.

Adult size of fish needs to be taken into account when buying them. Never buy a fish you don't currently have a system to house, and never buy fish based on their current size rather than their real size.

For a 6gal, you're limited to very small fish that don't swim much. Trimma gobies, clown gobies, two-spot or tailspot blennies, barnacle blennies, small shrimpgobies like antenna gobies. Two tiny ones should be a fine bio-load once the tank is mature. My suggestion would be enough rockscape to support an antenna or Yasha goby and candycane pistol shrimp burrow system, then your choice of small, rock-perching blenny or goby.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 76 76.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 11.0%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back