New Osmolator update

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yesterday, I received a preproduction sample of the New Osmolator for testing. A lot has changed from what was initially teased in 2021. It is a much more feature rich and robust unit. First, the name is still in discussion, while initially we had called it Osmolator 2, the reality is we (Norbert Tunze) invented the ATO in 1988. Osmolator is a contraction of Osmotic Regulator. Technically,if we go by only major controller revisions it is at a minimum Osmolator 3, if we include half cycle major board updates and pump updates it could be Osmolator 6. At this time we are inclined to name it Osmolator 3 as it is the 3rd major controller revision. At the start, we had planned to replace both the Nano and regular Osmolators with 2 new versions, designated Osmolator 2 and Osmolator 2 Professional. However, the realities of producing in Germany, especially post COVID and post Ukraine war, limit how much we can compete on a very basic inexpensive product, we have first world labor costs and high energy costs and we mold all parts in house on our own tooling and we use only premium plastics from BASF and GE. In the end, the products are an Osmolator and a soon to follow super premium Osmolator, there will not be a basic entry model price point and over time, we will largely move away from such products, we simply cannot effectively compete on price with China, but we can best anyone on service, quality and engineering details.

I installed it yesterday in my MRC sump on my 265. All that is unfinished on what you will see below is the Y connection cable for the pump and power supply. This cable will be much nicer, what is shown is hand made. Even this cable will be made in Germany. Everything is made in Germany except the power supply and for the power supply, we have moved to a medical equipment grade power supply produced by a German company in Vietnam, it is a very safe and robust power supply rated for use in damp locations. The standard pump is the High Jet, however, it is different than the current High Jet in that the driver is in the controller, the pump will have a much lower replacement cost if ever needed. The pump also has a waterproof connection, the final power supply connection will be heavily corrosion resistant as well. The entire unit has a 5 year warranty.

First photo, what you will receive, High Jet with waterproof connector, Controller, 3m of 6mm polyurethane tubing, power supply-

Full set.jpg

The next photo is just the controller. The controller is incorporated into the magnet holder, It is the same size as our standard nano magnet holders. Again, the cable will be much more refined in the retail unit.

Controller.jpg

Here is what is the actual heart of the unit, a new optic sensor system that has been in development for over 4 years, it is much more robust, in fact, we have sanded the lens, run it in kalkwasser, it can take a tremendous amount of abuse and still function. The back up is the small nipple above the optic sensor, a thermal sensor. The status lights are still incorporated on the board and the sensor status is shown through the openings in the housing cover.

IMG_5141.jpg

The power supply-

IMG_5142.jpg

Pump with details of the waterproof connection

IMG_5143.jpg

Installed controller showing status light
IMG_5144.jpg

While we regret that it has taken so long, we are very close to releasing the New Osmolator and I think you will find that despite the hype of any of our competition, we will continue to lead on innovation. We have a lot of new products that are very close to finished and as I have updates to share, they will be posted here. IMG_5145.jpg

OP
OP
rvitko

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will replace 3155 but can be used in small systems without issue. 3152 will essentially phase out slowly, they will remain available and still have parts and service but no real update is planned. We just cannot compete on the inexpensive side, especially not with covering every element of safety and reliability and providing a 5 year warranty. I just got a photo of the actual production cable. The waterproof connection for pump will be as shown above, the power socket will be gold plated contacts with an o ring seal.

image.png

kappajoe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looks really nice.... do you have specs on the pump and the max height it can do?

Thanks,
kappajoe

OP
OP
rvitko

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its functionally the same as the current high jet which is available now as a retrofit to the current Osmolator and Nano Osmolator. The new one has 3 speeds, this is changed by rapidly cycling the power to the controller. The default speed is capable of 12ft of head pressure, a lower speed is possible and full speed is possible.

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This looks very nice. It hopefully will be a long time before I need one. I am using a 3155 now and have a new one on the shelf for a spare.

OP
OP
rvitko

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It should be even better as it will be entirely water proof and both sensors have been very thoroughly tested. All the failure points, water damage, corrosion of plugs, pump failures, have been completely addressed.

Wiskey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love it! I had one question, is there a momentary delay button, or feed mode, or something you can put it in when you turn your pumps off to feed and the sump level goes up?

Thank you,
Whiskey

OP
OP
rvitko

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On the Pro model that will come later, there will be a lot of options since it has a WIFI interface, but on the standard model, this is more basic and there is no audible alarm, only a red light will be on and after the water level returns to normal it will work again.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
There is nothing wrong with my current 3155. It is going on 8 years old and original pump still in perfect shape. Yet, I will be buying one of these the day they release! Thanks Roger and Tunze for the update and new stuff

spsick

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really exciting! I didn’t think the most reliable ATO needed anything but happy to see improvements to make it MORE reliable. The new high jet was a wonderful surprise for my 8 year old unit (still original pump).

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This is awesome!!!

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very cool. I dont think a whole new design was needed but maybe an upgrade would be nice. I know the optical sensor has issues every once in a while if it gets a film on it.

I have the newer pump and will say its "quieter" but not silent. I wish the units would get smaller and possibly wifi/bluetooth capable (without a expansion module).

Joe's Coral Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 50%
1   1   0
Can't wait, I love my Tunze stuff. Maybe its because I lived in Germany or maybe its because I had a product I design ripped off and sold for nothing from china but I dont mind paying more for something not made in china. I find the quality better and I do expect more from something I'm paying more for. Its always the little things that really make the products better, the attention to detail. Better wire, better connectors, support and serviceable. The whole serviceable aspect of a product is always over looked. On different osomlators I've had 2 sensors replaced over the years and it was not allot of money. I was really surprised and it really creates a brand loyalty.

OP
OP
rvitko

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Professional version will have WIFI, I don't know if it will interface with GHL, it will be accessible on Tunze Hub for all settings and trouble shooting.

Muffin87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Professional version will have WIFI, I don't know if it will interface with GHL, it will be accessible on Tunze Hub for all settings and trouble shooting.
Can it be checked on your phone when you are on holiday?

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 61 74.4%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 12.2%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 7.3%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back