New paper on fish collection in Sulawesi

alton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Location aside are these not captive bred now?
Yes

OP
OP
Jay Hemdal

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Location aside are these not captive bred now?

The vast majority of these are still wild caught. A few have been produced by Bali Aquarich, and are available through Biota Group:

Jay

Js.Aqua.Project

Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good points.

If I might add we also need a lot of hobbyist education on the Herculean effort that goes into these businesses. Small business that more often than not have little to no government or shipping subsidies.

True. On the other hand this isn't a big problem to solve. Some areas this would be a good reason to implement solar and batteries for power use. Water would be the bigger concern but again location may solve this.

Hope your morning/day is going well.
Having a good morning so far, hope you are as well.

One of the cool things about this hobby and industry is that we are able to do so much observation and study right in our homes. I think R2R also makes it easy to sort of crowd source some of this observation and piece together tidbits of information into the behavior of these creatures.

Aquaculture of corals has shown itself to be relatively simple and require very little reintroduction of corals from the wild. But fish are more difficult.

However, we need a new emphasis placed on the fish. The industry seems to have finally opened the door and broken into tangs and angels in the last few years, but production has yet to ramp up

While much harder to do at home a lot of the common species are not impossible. For example, clownfish can be completely done on pellet (granted the mortality will be higher than if reared through a variety of foods at different stages). If hobbyist have the time and willingness they too can help reduce the demand for fish from the reef just like we do by trading coral frags.

We would then be able to use our market forces to bring down the price of aquacultured fish so that a captive bred tang doesn't sell for $10k when the wild caught variety is less than $1k. (Looking at you Surge Marine - I understand it's a Gem cross, but $10K? Really? You're not even sure what it's crossed with...) Biota's mandarins are $99 while wild caught are $35 at LiveAquaria.

If we want to change the industry then it will have to be done through supply-demand economics.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 99 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.9%
Back