New Reef Parameter Monitors - Hydros Maven and Neptune Trident NP

Rocky Mountain Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Liked your post. I in the beginning was going to go for Apex 5 years ago or so but the 1st hydros came out at the same time I was looking or at least that's when I noticed it.
I am not good with understanding computer stuff at all and was still going to go Apex but then Hydros came out and I bought it just the control 2 since I didn't really believe it was going to be easy and didn't want to dump alot of money for something I wouldn't use..... correctly at least.
Man I had that rolling by the end of the day I installed it. That was 4 years ago and only problem I had was the leak rope stopped working and that was like 6 months ago called them and they actually replaced it free.
So I am assuming the Maven will be easy and they have so many of how to videos step by step easy to understand one's that it really does make it very easy.
Also their customer service for me atleast is over the top good and nice.
Thank you for that insight. Wow! that is the antithesis of working with Neptune. I am thrilled to hear this and hope to experience it soon when Maven is introduced.

Rocky Mountain Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe this was answered before, so I apologize for the repetitive question if it was.

Can the Maven run as a standalone tester with zero other Hydros equipment. If so I would add this to my Neptune world to have redundant testing on 3 perimeters and the added bonus of nO3 & pO4 of the Maven.
Precisely!!

Rich Klein

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For someone who has been using an Apex controller on my tank for 8 plus years (including a Trident), and has been happy with it and wanted automated testing I guess it would be logical to just add the new Trident. It certainly would have been great in the days when I was learning to manage my tank. But now that I am passed the learning curve and my nutrients are very low and well controlled, my Trident measuring the big 3 is all I need.

leon.1980

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
might want to check out some of the marketing material. Someone on this site last week posted something from coralvue and looks like only one test per unit at one time. So X5 on the price if you are looking for all 5 tests at one time or do not want to switch reagents. Search for the post on this site for more info. I wish I had time to look for it and add the link. Sorry in advance to blow up any hopes and dreams.
You haven seen the vids of all 5 tests hooked up to one unit at this weekends coral shows haven’t you?

alabella1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I'm surprised that no one is talking about the reefbot lab in this discussion. It sits in the same price point, can do a much larger variety of tests and has a huge list of compatible reagents, you can use your favorite. It does not interface with either system, so no opportunity for auto dosing and stuff, but you can test as many tanks as you want, keep all the data stored in the app, customer service seems responsive.

Gk5321

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
might want to check out some of the marketing material. Someone on this site last week posted something from coralvue and looks like only one test per unit at one time. So X5 on the price if you are looking for all 5 tests at one time or do not want to switch reagents. Search for the post on this site for more info. I wish I had time to look for it and add the link. Sorry in advance to blow up any hopes and dreams.
If you’re talking about the Maven, I just saw it at RAP - Orlando. It’s a large unit and does all 5 at the same time. They didn’t have too much info other than price and that it’ll be out this summer. They had the reagent bottles hooked up and it seemed like they might offer two sizes of Reagan’s bottles. The guy said he thinks 100 tests per bottle per test type (very roughly) and that it uses RO water for cleaning and has a drying fan to dry the test chamber. I asked if they could include a chart to show the amount of water it uses per test so hopefully we get to see that.

Gk5321

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm surprised that no one is talking about the reefbot lab in this discussion. It sits in the same price point, can do a much larger variety of tests and has a huge list of compatible reagents, you can use your favorite. It does not interface with either system, so no opportunity for auto dosing and stuff, but you can test as many tanks as you want, keep all the data stored in the app, customer service seems responsive.
It kind of sucks though. I have the lab and just stopped using it. Every test I have to fix the thing. The final time I have no idea what’s wrong and I don’t want to pay another $200 for replacement parts or upgrades to hope it’ll work.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It sure can… and it would test all 5 on its own.. I have a full blown Neptune system and hydros wave engine that’s even stand alone with its own brain. The only downfall I see if someone uses the Neptune assisted dosing I’m not sure how it would work with the hydros but one of those computer people will figure out a hack haha!
The Maven has 2 drive ports and they have simple dosers that can be run from drive ports. They have a fixed 43ml per minute rating. You do have a minimum run time per dose on a simple doser so that would limit the lowest single dose but the Maven can control them and dose based on the test readings. If you need more than 2 dosers you can add a XD to the Maven and connect 3 more to the three drive ports on the XD. There is also a XP8 which has 8 AC outlets you can also connect to it and you could control up to 8 dosing pump that are AC driven. Hydros has one of those that has a 2ml flow rate. So there are options for expanding if needed.

Comic_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trident for me but mainly cause I own an Apex and despite it's quirks, have had general success with the OG Trident and know how to service/clean it when things look off.

There have been a lot of auto testers on the market and literally all of them have their own quirks and issues. The Maven will have its own. Anyone expecting it not to will likely face the same frustrations they may have had with the Trident and other testers. Testers are complicated, finicky and need to be serviced and will never be set and forget pieces of equipment. Just gotta decide which type of "finicky" bothers you least.

If you're thinking about selling your Trident for a Maven I beg you to wait until the Maven has been out for a bit. Maybe the Maven is a top tier product and better than the rest, but it's also possible it's a subpar water tester. Wait for reviews, wait for feedback. Once you know how it performs, then make your decision. Just don't go into any new product blind with the amount of $$$ these companies are asking. Just my 2 cents.

OP
OP
ReefStable

ReefStable

Reef Stable
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking about putting together some articles about "How To..." with both Neptune and Hydros products to help people decide what is needed from either one.

Is that something people would find helpful?

Hydros has a lot of ways to do each thing, so I would try to focus on the cheapest way to do only the task at hand and add some "you need x drive ports" so you can decide if you already have them.

Thoughts?

Rp8

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking about putting together some articles about "How To..." with both Neptune and Hydros products to help people decide what is needed from either one.

Is that something people would find helpful?

Hydros has a lot of ways to do each thing, so I would try to focus on the cheapest way to do only the task at hand and add some "you need x drive ports" so you can decide if you already have them.

Thoughts?
I’d follow that.

Jimbo327

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maven is looking better and better. Even the Neptune rep at RAP didn't look like he was excited about the 2 "new" products. LOL. Neptune's "new" products looks exactly the same s their old product.

anthonymckay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wrong. All 5 testing reagents hook up to 1 unit.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 40 30.8%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.1%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 34 26.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 47 36.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.8%
Back