New Reefer having trouble with Alk

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah ideally that’s where I would like it especially to kick off the corraline I’m currently trying to foster. I’ve got a small speck on one rock but it hasn’t seemed to grow at all. But someone mentioned above I shouldn’t be dosing at all rn since it’s basically a FOWLR tank. I would like to bring that number up a little, just not quite sure what’s casuarina it to be so low. When I started it was hovering around 10-11 dkh
I would not dwell much on coralline algae but put all efforts to stabilizing every parameter, the least daily flux the better.

This will result increasing the population and diversity of stuff you can’t see which IMM, are the true CUC employees.

The coralline will come on its own.

I have run Alk at 8, 10, and 12 and see no difference over months and months of use.

But my system seems to like 9, so 9 it is.

When we are in the sevens, any lower amounts can start to be problematic, whereas the higher alks give us more room.

OP
OP
Vailj123

Vailj123

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not dwell much on coralline algae but put all efforts to stabilizing every parameter, the least daily flux the better.

This will result increasing the population and diversity of stuff you can’t see which IMM, are the true CUC employees.

The coralline will come on its own.
Alrighty, for now I’ll try as someone stated above and do the frequent changes and see if that helps the alkalinity at all. If that doesn’t work I’ll prob go back to dosing tbh.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Frequent changes are not liked much, if your talking about water changes, if nutrients are increasing steadily then fine, otherwise no change is required.

If your doing water changes to maintain alk, ok, but, you are also lowering your nutrient levels which need to be available.

I dose Alk, CA and MG, and only employ a water change when nutrients are consistently increasing.

That way I can keep everything in check without making a ton of water changes.

Salt is very expensive. Use water changes as a tool, to manage your nutrient load as your filtration system matures and can process more and more wastes.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 1 3.7%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 3.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 23 85.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 7.4%
Back