Hello again! Moving my introduction post here to continue updates.

Vailj123

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone! I’ve been posting updates to my tank in my introduction post and wanted to move the conversation here so it’s in the correct spot. For those of you who I haven’t met in my introduction post, hello! This is my first reef tank. Im doing a pretty straightforward build, nothing crazy. I will post a link to my introduction post here if anyone is bored and wants to see where I am at. Although my tank build is pretty straightforward I decided to post updates just for the interaction with you guys and also to post any possible questions I may have along the way since you guys have already proven to be an excellent asset along the way! Stop by and say Hi!

Thread 'Hello everyone!'
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/hello-everyone.992939/

OP
OP
Vailj123

Vailj123

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So as of today I’m at the point where my nitrogen cycle has been completed and stabilized for some time now. My two clowns seem to be happy, the cleanup crew is doing it’s thing. I’ve begun to familiarize myself with testing trace elements etc for when it comes time to add corals which I understand is obviously further down the road. To my surprise much of my testing has revealed by parameters are near excellent for corals already so I’m just letting the “ugly phase” take its course. Up to this point I had some brown algae beneath the sand but the CUC has helped with that and cut that down almost completely. I’m finally starting to get some brown algae on the rocks but that doesn’t last long either. With my tank parameters doing so well I did pull the trigger on ARC’s Purple Helix corraline algae in a bottle to introduce a little more corraline to the tank than just what’s on the snail shells. So for now it’s a waiting game. Testing and supplementing elements as needed to help the corraline take hold. Thinking about snagging a tang today to assist with some of the algae on the rocks (I’ve been sticking loosely to the BRS 5-minute series and this was one of the first fish they recommended as it serves a purpose as well as adding color etc). When I have a second I will post what equipment I’m using. Nothing special, in fact most of it is from a starter kit I bought at the local pet store.

OP
OP
Vailj123

Vailj123

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So went to my LFS and I was unaware but the owner told me Yellow Tangs are no longer being brought in from Hawaii so the prices have raised significantly into the multiple-hundreds range (I saw an out of stock listing on liveaquaria for $450!). Unfortunately I’m not ready to drop that amount on a fish right now so I’m looking for alternatives that like to pick at algae (mainly brown/green) on rocks and are reef safe. Was just surprised at how much they’ve gone up in price so I figured I would share if no one knew but I’m sure you guys are aware lol

OP
OP
Vailj123

Vailj123

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alrighty everyone, so here we are! Going to try and get everyone caught up a little although as I said before it’s a pretty straightforward build right now. So I purchased a FluVal Evo 13.5 starter kit a little over two months ago. I added some live sand and dry rock and filled the tank up and let her go for a little. Then I cycled the tank following the Dr Tim’s method and once ammonia and nitrates hit 0 I added a pair of clowns. I let the tank run for a while and continued testing just to be sure everything was running as it should and then added a CUC. Ever since that point I’ve just been letting nature take it’s course and letting my tank mature. I DID add Purple Helix corraline algae in a bottle and began testing major and trace elements to give the corraline the best chance to take hold. I run the stock 14k light for about 10 hrs a day and have the nightlight on the rest of the time. As far as filtration goes I’m running the stock system minus the carbon bag, I replaced that with a Chemi Pure Elite bag. I’ve got a run of the mill heater sized for the tank and the stock return pump. I’m also running the Fluval ps2 mini skimmer that does not come with the kit. I also have a fluVal power head to help with flow. Everything seems to be running great. I do have, from what I’m understanding is normal during the maturation of the tank, some diotoms and some green algae spots here and there but it hasn’t gotten crazy yet by any means. I do have plans for some minor upgrades in the near future. I would like to swap out the light to something with a little more control as far as colors, intensity etc. I would like to upgrade the return pump to a little higher GPH rating and add some random flow nozzles. I’m considering removing the stock filtration system and adding inTank’s upgraded shelf system and creating my own filtration chamber to my liking. Ultimately I would just like to end up with something nice to look at and interact with. Some corals here and there and some more variety of fish but I’m taking it very slow and trying to be as patient as I can so adding more livestock will be way down the road. I’ve attached a photo of the tank as of not even 30 minutes ago. Feel free to leave suggestions or ask any questions!! I love the interaction and the learning with you guys so don’t hesitate!

IMG_2818.jpeg

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alrighty everyone so here we are going to try and get everyone caught up a little although as I said before it’s a pretty straightforward build right now. So I purchased a FluVal Evo 13.5 starter kit a little over two months ago. I added some love sand and dry rock and filled the tank up and let her go for a little. Then I cycled the tank following the Dr Times method and once ammonia and nitrates hit 0 I added a pair of clowns. I let the tank run for a while and continued testing just to be sure everything was running as it should and then added a CUC. Ever since that point I’ve just been letting nature take it’s course and letting my tank mature I DID at Purple Helix corraline algae in a bottle and began testing major and trace elements to give the corraline the best chance to take hold. I run the stock 14k light for about 10 hrs a day and have the nightlight on the rest of the time. As far as filtration goes I’m running the stock system minus the carbon bag, I replaced that with a Chemi Pure Elite bag. I’ve got a run of the mill heater sized for the tank and the stock return pump. I’m also running the Fluval ps2 mini skimmer that does not come with the kit. I also have a fluVal power head to help with flow. Everything seems to be running great. I do have, from what I’m understanding is normal during the maturation of the tank, some diotoms and some green algae spots here and there but it hasn’t gotten crazy yet by any means. I do have plans for some minor upgrades in the near future. I would like to swap out the light to something with a little more control as far as colors, intensity etc. I would like to upgrade the return pump to a little higher GPH rating and add some random flow nozzles. I’m considering removing the stock filtration system and adding inTanks upgraded shelf system and creating my own filtration chamber to my liking. Ultimately I would just like to end up with something nice to look at and interact with. Some corals here and there and some more variety of fish but I’m taking it very slow and trying to be as patient as I can so adding more livestock will be way down the road. I’ve attached a photo of the tank as of not even 30 minutes ago. Feel free to leave suggestions or ask any questions!! I love the interaction and the learning with you guys so don’t hesitate!

IMG_2818.jpeg
Great start!

OP
OP
Vailj123

Vailj123

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still going through the day to day routine on my way to corraline growth. I THINK I see a small speck of purple beginning on the larger rock but it could be the blue light playing tricks on me lol I am however having a heck of a time keeping my alkalinity up lately. Been testing and supplementing with the Red Sea foundation pro tests/supplements. Alkalinity was decent in the beginning but I’ve had a rapid decline lately. Not sure if it’s due to the ugly phase or not but I started at an alkalinity of around 11 or so which was a little higher than I’d like but it dropped to acceptable levels and continued to free fall. As of yesterday I was at a 5.5 dkh which is extremely low…I’ve been supplementing but I feel like at this point I’m putting so much in that it can’t be right…not sure what it can be as there’s no corals or anything in the tank yet to continuously lower my alkalinity. As of right now it’s basically a FOWLR tank.

OP
OP
Vailj123

Vailj123

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another update, just stopped by the LFS today and found they finally had a Diamond Goby. I’ve been going back and forth about getting one online but wasn’t looking forward to shipping LOL so I couldn’t pass this up. Plus the guy gave me a $5 discount! He has already made a huge difference with the sand. Looking forward to having him around. He’s so fun to watch

IMG_2878.jpeg

OP
OP
Vailj123

Vailj123

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have had ENOUGH of this FluVal Ps2 skimmer. I had it dialed in for a while and was getting a real nice dark skimmate out of it and was happy with it when out of nowhere it decides it’s going to overflow. And I’m not talking just into the cup! It’s coming out of the top hole and everything! It’s almost like someone put the propeller on turbo. I’m tired of how inconsistent it is and from what I understand a skimmer on a nano tank isn’t even necessary SO THAT BEING SAID I DID A THING! I’m completely overhauling the filtration system and eliminating the skimmer entirely. I purchased InTanks media Baskets for chamber one and two and I’m going to run filter floss, chemi pure elite and purigen in chamber one and make chamber two a refugium and add some MarinePure media gems in one of the shelves. I’m super nervous about the refugium part being new to the hobby as a whole, adding another form of living thing at first always makes me nervous. I bought a really nice light for it just not sure what else I will need initially. Hopefully overall this new filtration system will do just as good if not better than the old one. If anyone has any tips or suggestions for the refugium let me know and also the new system overall, am I forgetting anything? Would love to hear thoughts on this.

Side note, I also upgraded the return pump to a Sicce 1.0 and added random flow nozzles to replace the stock nozzles that came with the tank yesterday and what a difference!

OP
OP
Vailj123

Vailj123

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone! It’s been two months since my last update. Not too much as far as updates go. I finally added my first two corals though! My parameters were stable and I was FINALLY starting to see some corraline growth so I figured the tank was mature enough so I bought some Xenia and Green Star Polyps from a local reef store. Ironically enough as soon as I added them I noticed my magnesium is slowly climbing every time I do a water change…I don’t understand why…I’ve been using Instant Ocean Reef Crystals since day one. Other than that nothing is changing. No dosing just weekly water changes. I’m beginning to think it’s my Red Sea Reef Mg test kit as I see some people have had accuracy issues so I ordered a Nyos Mg kit that should be here in the next two days so I’ll give that a try and see what I come up with. I also had a pH drop from 8.2 to 7.6 but I’m willing to bet it was because a rookie mistake I made. I did a water change last week and the water level was still too low in my side chambers so I topped it off with RODI water and I’m thinking that lowered my pH so I did another water change today and I’ll test again. I ordered an AI Blade 12” light that should be here in a few days as well. Other than that not much going on other than letting the tank run and fully mature. Hoping my beginner corals thrive so I can begin to build my reef up to something extra enjoyable to look at! Hope you all are well!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 30 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 111 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back