New skimmer questions

beginnerreefer04

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased a new reef octo classic 150 int skimmer today used off of fb marketplace. I have a few questions regarding it. Firstly is there a break in period for used skimmers or is that only for new ones. Second, how do I tell when my skimmer is running properly. Should the foam be mostly sitting on top of the neck and not pouring over much or should I have a constant stream of foam slowly draining into the cup…. OR should the foam be below the opening in the neck and work its way up over the course of a few hours. I think I understand the idea of having bubbles that doesn’t raise high enough and having to much air that the bubbles don’t collect but I am just slightly confused on how I tell when it’s operating optimal.

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Break in period will still exist depending on how well it was cleaned before you installed it in your tank.

mrpontiac80

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would just place the skimmer in the sump with the cup off and let it run for at least a day or more. This will likely create micro bubbles in the water column but shouldn’t bother anything.
You should be able to find the water level required on the reef octo web site https://reefoctopus.com/octo-tv/
Mine for example is 8” so I have mine sitting on 3/4” pvc for a perfect height.

As for water/foam level… I find mine to perform best when the inside water level is just at or barely above the skimmer cup neck where it sits into the skimmer body.
IMG_8524.jpeg
image.jpg

mrpontiac80

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also for me, it depends on what’s in the water.. some days it produces very little in the cup and sometimes it produces more. Once tuned, you probably won’t see it running over into the cup. There may be a lot of foam under the lid but not running over.

OP
OP
B

beginnerreefer04

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also for me, it depends on what’s in the water.. some days it produces very little in the cup and sometimes it produces more. Once tuned, you probably won’t see it running over into the cup. There may be a lot of foam under the lid but not running over.
Thank you the photos help a lot understand where I should have it set

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 77 55.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.5%
Back