New tank set up question

sage2000

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone, I’m looking for a bit of advice. I finally bought the new tank I’ve always wanted. The Red Sea 625 g2. I’m upgrading from a 75 gallon tank I bought of Facebook marketplace like 4 years ago. Anyways, I want to move the new Red Sea tank into the spot that my current 75 gallon is in. I’m thinking I should start setting up the new tank in a spot next to where I want it to go. But I’m wondering if it would be ok or even possible to move the stand and tank together after they are all set up. Should I try and put it together on like a blanket or something so when the time comes I can slide it into place? Or should I wait until I can assemble it where I want it to be. Any advice will be greatly appreciated thank you !

tzabor10

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If this was my tank…Move the old tank out of the way, but keep it running. Set up the new tank where you want it to stay. Get the new one set up and tweaked. Fix all the little things that you can, run water through and cycle it. Then transfer things over. Then ditch the old stuff.
IMHO

michigan-reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would get the spot that it goes in clean, then set up the new tank there. I would acquire another tank, or a livestock water tank to use as a temporary holding tank. Transfer everything to the holding tank, then move the old tank out of the way. I would never try to move a tank and stand together as a unit.

FDchase

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I upgraded from a 14 to 120 gallon I talked my wife into a new spot because I didn’t want to even try to slide the little 14 gallon to a new spot. This also allowed me to do a little cycle and take my time setting up the new tank in a new spot, which was nice because work got real busy once I started the new tank.

Biokabe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I were in your shoes, this is what I would do:

First, set up the new tank somewhere else in your home, as close to the old tank as possible. Do a full leak test on it, and if you'll be adding any new live rock to your new display (which you should) cycle the new rock in the new tank as completely as possible. Also take this time to do any modifications, test-fit your new equipment, and rinse (but not place) your new sand.

Once you're ready to do the swap... first, set aside an entire day for it, and get as much help as possible. Mix up enough water to completely fill the new tank at least 1.25 times. You'll also want to prepare a number of totes and other containers to hold your rock and livestock while you do the swap. A simple powerhead and heater for each container will do wonders to keep your livestock relatively comfortable during the swap.

Once you're ready to move, time is of the essence. Don't rush, but don't take your time either. Remove your new live rock from the new tank and store in totes. Do the same thing to the current tank - you may want to partially drain before removing the rock to make it more difficult for startled fish to accidentally jump during the process.

Wear gloves while moving the rocks; bristle worms or other stinging inverts may come out during the process, you don't want to deal with that while trying to quickly move your tank. Also be aware that fish may be hiding in any caves in the live rock, so move carefully and try to turn the rock over several times to dislodge them before placing the rock in your external container.

After the rocks are out of the aquarium, it should be easier to net your fish and move them out. Once all the fish are out, finish draining the tank and move it out of the way. Leave the sand in place unless you want to smell something absolutely vile.

If you have the manpower, move the new stand and tank separately to the new location. Big glass tanks are very heavy, so if you don't have any friends to help it might be worth hiring movers to help you. Invest in some glass-moving suction handles to make it easier and avoid pinched fingers. For a smaller tank, you can put your stand on furniture movers and (very slowly) slide the tank and stand as a unit to the new location. That's what I did for my Reefer 350. For a 625, I'm not sure that I would risk it. The tank/stand unit is very top-heavy, which makes it unsteady to move. The stands are also not designed with movement and lateral strain in mind, so introducing too much force in that direction has the potential to cause problems.

Once it's in place, level and shim the new tank - if the current stands have leveling feet, then use those to get your tank dialed in before you start adding water. Once in place, re-assemble the plumbing, set up the rockwork (plus any structural support you might be adding), add the sand and fill the tank. Set up your powerheads, set up your filtration equipment, set up your return pump, and turn it all on. Once it looks good and you've confirmed that there are no leaks, put the fish back in and starting figuring out what you'll be stocking in your much-larger new tank.

UGASealDawg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 50%
1   1   0
I would set the new tank up in the spot you want it to be. They, obviously, are not easy to move. Moreover, they aren't made to be moved. You will also want to get the tank level in it's permanent spot and that is much easier to do before it is full of water.

Above all, take your time. Patience is always good when dealing with reef tanks.

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 6 7.8%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 20 26.0%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 38 49.4%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 12 15.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back