Sammi Mi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! My name is sammi, new to this hobby. I've done a lot of research over the past few months prior to even buying anything. Got the tank started last week, water, live sand, all equipment (canister filter, protein skimmer, power heads, heater, etc...) Finally bought some live rock today and got it in my tank. I would like some opinions on whether or not its enough for my tank, and also on the formation. I currently have a 60 gallon tank, 38 pounds of live rock.
20170423_1812401.jpg
20170423_1812271.jpg
20170423_1812321.jpg

Kershaw

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would stack it a little better so water can flow around rock better. Looks like enough to me. Just make sure you don't over stock or buy any large tangs.

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it sitting on the sandbed?
If you plan to keep any burrowing fish/shrimp, they could move the sand around and cause your rock work to shift, even fall [emoji33]
Ideally, the base rocks would be touching the bottom of the tank.

OP
OP
Sammi Mi

Sammi Mi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it sitting on the sandbed?
If you plan to keep any burrowing fish/shrimp, they could move the sand around and cause your rock work to shift.
Ideally, the base rocks would be touching the bottom of the tank.

Thank you for the info. It is sitting on the sand. I will have to fix that tomorrow.

OP
OP
Sammi Mi

Sammi Mi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would stack it a little better so water can flow around rock better. Looks like enough to me. Just make sure you don't over stock or buy any large tangs.

Ok, thank you. I will be moving it around and restacking it tomorrow. I'll post more pics after.
I would love to have a tang, but from the research I've done, I'm kinda figuring they're all too big for my tank.

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you checked out the tips and tricks on aquascaping thread? Lots of good ideas in there.
Also consider how you will secure the rocks together, using some epoxy/glue will give you a more stable structure.

Reef Ryder

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally would definitely not be running my skimmer. The water will be too clean if that makes any sense to you.
Agreed that the rock work should allow pletof flow and make sure that youbleave space in between the rocks and the glass to allow for cleaning via magnet or whatever you're going to use.

Reef Ryder

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, it's much better to judge in person but your power heads which may be to small but I'm honestly not 100% sure, look a bit low and they should not be facing each other unless on opposite sides meaning one in the front and the other in the back. I'd raise them and put one in the front of the tank where you them now and the other across from it in the back facing the opposite direction, OR return them and get one bigger one.

OP
OP
Sammi Mi

Sammi Mi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, it's much better to judge in person but your power heads which may be to small but I'm honestly not 100% sure, look a bit low and they should not be facing each other unless on opposite sides meaning one in the front and the other in the back. I'd raise them and put one in the front of the tank where you them now and the other across from it in the back facing the opposite direction, OR return them and get one bigger one.

There are 3 power heads, the biggest one on the right bottom is 1150gph, the top right is only 170gph, the one on the left is 240gph. Plus the canister filter returns 360gph
The two on the bottom are currently facing each other from left to right side of the tank, but the right one is sitting towards the back side of the tank and left one is closer to the front of the tank. Is that ok? Or do they need to be moved?

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are 3 power heads, the biggest one on the right bottom is 1150gph, the top right is only 170gph, the one on the left is 240gph. Plus the canister filter returns 360gph
The two on the bottom are currently facing each other from left to right side of the tank, but the right one is sitting towards the back side of the tank and left one is closer to the front of the tank. Is that ok? Or do they need to be moved?
Rearrange your rocks first, then consider powerhead placement. You want to eliminate dead spots, it's going to be a little different for every tank. I messed around with my powerheads for several weeks on the latest build and I'm still not sure I won't move them again, lol.

You have some interesting looking rocks to work with, be sure to post some follow-up pics after you rearrange!

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome home, you will love it here!

Beautiful tank, great start! Keep us posted with your progression! :)

rantipole

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome!

I like the rocks you are working with a lot. I'm looking forward to seeing your final scape.

Cheers,
rant

OP
OP
Sammi Mi

Sammi Mi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome!

I like the rocks you are working with a lot. I'm looking forward to seeing your final scape.

Cheers,
rant

Thanks! I started watching some videos and reading some information about aquascaping. I'm excited to get home and start messing with them and rearranging them.

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R Sammi.

Reef Ryder

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rearrange your rocks first, then consider powerhead placement. You want to eliminate dead spots, it's going to be a little different for every tank. I messed around with my powerheads for several weeks on the latest build and I'm still not sure I won't move them again, lol.

You have some interesting looking rocks to work with, be sure to post some follow-up pics after you rearrange!
I agree to fix your rocks first but I'm almost certain [almost only] that you'll have to move them. Let's see the rock work then maybe we'll be able to give better feedback.

OP
OP
Sammi Mi

Sammi Mi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I rearranged the rocks last night, but with all the movement I created a sandstorm. I lost visibility and didn't really get to finish. I'm going to try rearranging again tonight. I feel like this may take a few days to get a setup I really like...

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 141 42.9%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 117 35.6%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 50 15.2%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.5%
Back