New Tank, Some Questions about the media and Reactors.

sikkoromeo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone I’m new to the forum and the hoby, have some questions about reactors and media. I have a media reactor which I will use the media according to the tanks need. In addition I am thinking on adding one more. Maybe an Cheato Alg reactor or a biopallet reactor ? Which one would you recommend ? I am also thinking on adding maxaspect bioblock and anaerobic bioblock. Are they good and efficient stuff ? and to save space can I put the underneath the reactors. Thanks for your help.

Paullawr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once the tank has settled and nutrients are probably slowly going up, I'd add a cheato reactor and thats it.

It will bring the nutrients down, naturally, can earn you a few dollars in harvesting if you want to go that route.

Keep it simple.

OP
OP
S

sikkoromeo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once the tank has settled and nutrients are probably slowly going up, I'd add a cheato reactor and thats it.

It will bring the nutrients down, naturally, can earn you a few dollars in harvesting if you want to go that route.

Keep it simple.
Will also anaerobic block do some job, cheato also seems better to me, probably will go with it. And what would you recommend to put in the media reactor ?

Paullawr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will also anaerobic block do some job, cheato also seems better to me, probably will go with it. And what would you recommend to put in the media reactor ?
An anaerobic block will encourage good bacteria to convert ammonia > nitrite > nitrate. If you're thinking this idea, then maybe consider a refugium. Either in sump, in tank, or hang on back. That way you can have substrate (aka miracle mud, sand) and live rock rubble.

The mud will release trace elements, the sand will help with help with de-nitrification and the algae will export the latter, growing well with the trace elements. Change the mud/sand out yearly and harvest the algae when it needs it.

If you want to go with a block. There is no harm in adding one, I'd just ensure you keep it clean from detritus (couple of times a week). Sediment that builds ends up becoming a nitrate factory.

The other fairly natural method is a reactor with sand. Which will do the same as a block. Though doesn't tend to build up with dirt quite as easily.

I've tried various methods over the years for nutrient control and frankly the least amount of effort with the greatest results in my view is the best.

Dosing can bring levels down far too greatly and starve the tank, is costly and requires daily efforts. Personally I'd avoid that option at all costs. Phosban reactors again, reduce levels far too quickly and frankly I'd use in an emergency only.

You will also find with a decent cheato / ref setup makes the skimmer is pretty much redundant. If you do add one, you don't need to go all out. A smaller device will do the trick.

Paullawr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh and don't overlook adding ozone. It's often scorned upon but can bring great results when used after tank maintenance. I don't run one 24/7 but do turn it on for several hours after a good clean out. I find when I do this, the clowns lay eggs the day after - every time!

OP
OP
S

sikkoromeo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An anaerobic block will encourage good bacteria to convert ammonia > nitrite > nitrate. If you're thinking this idea, then maybe consider a refugium. Either in sump, in tank, or hang on back. That way you can have substrate (aka miracle mud, sand) and live rock rubble.

The mud will release trace elements, the sand will help with help with de-nitrification and the algae will export the latter, growing well with the trace elements. Change the mud/sand out yearly and harvest the algae when it needs it.

If you want to go with a block. There is no harm in adding one, I'd just ensure you keep it clean from detritus (couple of times a week). Sediment that builds ends up becoming a nitrate factory.

The other fairly natural method is a reactor with sand. Which will do the same as a block. Though doesn't tend to build up with dirt quite as easily.

I've tried various methods over the years for nutrient control and frankly the least amount of effort with the greatest results in my view is the best.

Dosing can bring levels down far too greatly and starve the tank, is costly and requires daily efforts. Personally I'd avoid that option at all costs. Phosban reactors again, reduce levels far too quickly and frankly I'd use in an emergency only.

You will also find with a decent cheato / ref setup makes the skimmer is pretty much redundant. If you do add one, you don't need to go all out. A smaller device will do the trick.
Tren I am going with a cheato reactor (no space for a ref) and maybe the blocks. Also going to look at ozonw

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 78 55.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.1%
Back