Reef setup, high water level. Help needed.

jake296

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I’ve been setting up a 120g system over the past couple of months and finally got it wet yesterday.

Overall a good test, no leaks and custom sump setup is working as planned.

The one issue I’m having is with my water level being high in the display. Naturally I expected the water level to be at the bottom of the weir combs which are sat 3.5cm from the top of the tank, it’s actually settled at only 1.5cm below the top of the tank which is far too close to the top.

Any options on dropping this without modifying the overflow or removing it and dropping it down a couple of cm?

Initial setup I’ve run the pump at 50%

TIA

IMG_1028.jpeg IMG_1029.jpeg IMG_1027.jpeg

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Simple physics I’m afraid. Only practical option is to reduce pump flow. Weir looks way too small for a tank that size. That’s your other option, either get a bigger weir or cut down the teeth.

OP
OP
J

jake296

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Overflow is rated at 1200G/H so that shouldn’t be an issue if advertisement was correct. Carefully file down the combs a little then I guess

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, as you have discovered claims rarely meet reality. I generally take overflow ratings and cut them in half. Crank the pump back to 600 gph and see where you are. That’s more than enough turnover for a 120. My 120 is 400 gph, and my weir length is double yours.

Last edited:

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Simple physics I’m afraid. Only practical option is to reduce pump flow. Weir looks way too small for a tank that size. That’s your other option, either get a bigger weir or cut down the teeth.
I don't know if even the reduction in flow will help, unless it is severe. From the picture the level on the opposite side off the weir appears is way below the combs. You would need to put in a much bigger overflow box.

Adamc13o3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reduce flow, although the box does seem too small, I once had this issue and I ended up removing some teeth. Reduce flow first though, hopefully that does the trick.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 195 71.7%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 20 7.4%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 50 18.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.6%
Back