Hugo Garcia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, how is it going? This is my first time at reef2reef, and my first attempt at a saltwater tank. I've had a freshwater tank with goldfish for about a year now, and decided to take the leap and start a saltwater tank as well. So what I'm paling to have is a 20 Gallon tank with 2 clownfish and a cleanup crew. I want to keep it simple, no reef yet. Se if I can keep them alive for a while.

So I've been doing some research, watching many videos and asking people about what to do and how to start this tank.

At the moment I'm have already filled up the tank with 20 pounds of live stand, some dry rock and have a aquaclear 50 running. I'm trying to start the nitrogen cycle on it.

So I have a few questions about what are the necesssey things to do to keep clownfish well and alive.

- Do I need to use RODI water, or is tap water using Prime fine for this?

- Do I need to use live rock to start the nitrogen cycle?

- Can someone look at the picture of my tank an tell me if there is enough rock/space for clownfish? And if the SongeBob decorations are suitable or not for clownfish?

- Will I have problems using the same buckets for my saltwater tank and my freshwater tank? Is there any risk of cross contamination?

I think this are my questions for now, please feel free to give me any extra advice.

Thanks a lot for reading the post and helping me start my new tank.

I'll keep reading about it and try to be a responsble fish owner. Hehehe

Thanks a lot!

Have a great day,

Hugo Garcia

Bluecbs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bacteria need food (ammonia source) to start the cycle. You can put in few frozen mysis in there and check for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate after a week. Yes, you need to get a test kit.
When your ammonia and nitrite are zero, nitrate < 20 ppm ( some might like it lower), you can add the fish
At this time, do weekly 20% water changes.

Keeks09

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am new to the hobby i started my tank last Saturday and added the api quick start to the tank because it mentioned about the bacteria in it.i had put 25lbs live rock and 20lb live sand in it initially. I purchased 5lb more live rock yesterday with starfish and a snail. Idid a 10gallon water change on a 75g tank and have a spike of .5 ammonia ph 7.8 nitrite. 25 and nitrate 20 today. Please help as to what i should do next and if my tank is cycled or still cycling

15026742356151104180143.jpg

Bluecbs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am new to the hobby i started my tank last Saturday and added the api quick start to the

tank because it mentioned about the bacteria in it.i had put 25lbs live rock and 20lb live sand in it initially. I purchased 5lb more live rock yesterday with starfish and a snail. Idid a 10gallon water change on a 75g tank and have a spike of .5 ammonia ph 7.8 nitrite. 25 and nitrate 20 today. Please help as to what i should do next and if my tank is cycled or still cycling

[/QUOTE)

Still cycling, cycled only when ammonia and nitrite are zero. Keep doing the weekly water changes
...and put in a few frozen mysis in there to feed the bacteria. Doesnt hurt to dose quick start as per the instructions, tho i prefer seachem stability

Bluecbs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
...and Hugo, separate buckets, ....and add some more live rock, imho

Bluecbs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, Hugo is the first guy up there..

Hey Keeks, my reply to you is inside the quote, ...sorry, accidentally put inside

OP
OP
Hugo Garcia

Hugo Garcia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Bluecbs, thanks for the tips! I've added live rock to the tank today and removed some of the silly decorations. Hehehehe

Here is how is looks now:
IMG_7695.JPG

I'm gosht feeding with my goldfish food right now, but will try to get some mysis today.

Thanks a lot once again!

Keeks09

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much of the mysis frozen shrimp should i add? Two tiny star fish and a snail came in my live rock also

OP
OP
Hugo Garcia

Hugo Garcia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is how it is looking now I've added like rock but unfortunately have found some pests on it after adding, so now I'm very paranoid that my tank will have all kinds of parasites.

IMG_7730.JPG

OP
OP
Hugo Garcia

Hugo Garcia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am new to the hobby i started my tank last Saturday and added the api quick start to the tank because it mentioned about the bacteria in it.i had put 25lbs live rock and 20lb live sand in it initially. I purchased 5lb more live rock yesterday with starfish and a snail. Idid a 10gallon water change on a 75g tank and have a spike of .5 ammonia ph 7.8 nitrite. 25 and nitrate 20 today. Please help as to what i should do next and if my tank is cycled or still cycling

I'm not the right person to be giving you advice, but I'm pretty sure the the tank won't cycle so fast. It will take a while. And be careful with parasites, my live rock was infested.

Keeks09

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't seen anything that looks harmful except bristle worms but will keep an eye out!

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 32 21.2%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 111 73.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.0%
Back