prestonrabe

prestonrabe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
B9C7B060-2CFB-441A-AF91-1C119201D3BA.jpeg

First setup is up and running! Now just to let the cycle happen! About how long until I add corals? I’m hearing a lot of different things such as to add fish then corals, corals after 2 weeks of cycling and corals 6-9 months after cycling. I’m looking to add softies, and I’m interested in Kenya tree, hammers, candy canes, trumpets, zoas, meteor showers and would love some more suggestions that look very flowy and anemone like!

tharbin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! The best advice I can give is to take your time, go slowly and be patient. It is almost always better to do too little than too much in a reef tank. Whatever you do do it slowly. Quick changes, like suddenly increasing light levels is much harder on corals than most of us realize. They are very adaptable but with that, they need stability.

Soft and some 'beginner' hard corals corals can be added pretty much right after cycling but make sure you maintain stabile parameters for them. Depending on how you cycled, you may be able to add a few fish right away also. BUT do not add much of either at one time. Adding bioload (corals/fish/food) increases the demand on the beneficial bacteria. As you add inhabitants, allow time for the bacteria to catch up.

R2R-Welcome3.jpg

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to your new home for saltwater reef aquarium resources and fun! Welcome to the family! :D
welcome-home-logo-greeting-png.1484246

Roatan Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, I am new to reef keeping! I have been keeping and breeding fish & reptiles for a little over a decade but I’m starting my first saltwater tank this weekend! I have a 30 gallon that I’m looking to turn into a small reef tank for my family! Looking for any tips & tricks on keeping fish, corals and inverts!
Congratulations
I was a Freshwater Tank keeper for 20 years.. started 1st Saltwater in 2022.

It's been a blastomusa!!
Coral Champion GIF by Allen Coral Atlas

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 23 14.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 94 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.7%
Back