New To Reefing - Looking for Advice for Basic Equipment Requirements

Tygris88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Fellow Reefers, I am new to the reefing game and I have just recently purchased a second-hand red sea peninsula 650.
I am wondering what equipment I would need at the very least to get a couple of clowns in there to get me started until I start investing over time.

I am assuming I don't need a light straight away as I am probably going to end up purchasing coral later on so I would like to save some money over the next few months to invest in good lighting. Would I be able to get away with purchasing say a Radion xr15 or AI Hydras 32 for sps and lps later down the track? or is it absolutely imperative I purchase something more powerful like the Xr30s?

In terms of wavemakers/powerheads, will a single Mp40 or the Red Sea 45/Maxspect Gyre suffice for now with a second one to be purchased later down the track?

Do I need a protein skimmer straight away as well? or can this be purchased later too once i have a fair amount of fish in there?

What I am trying to do here is purchase these items monthly so it lines up with my paycheck however, I don't want to wait 3-6 months to buy all the equipment before I get a couple of fish in there.

thanks, guys! all tips are appreciated.

OP
OP
Tygris88

Tygris88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't need lighting until you actually add corals. You'll probably need a minimum of 3-4 XR15s or a pair of XR30s. Skimmer is definitely a must. A single ReefWave45 or MP40 would work initially, yes.
thanks for your response, what are your thoughts on the Octo-Pulse 4 or the AI Nero 5s for the RS Peninsula 650?
Mp40s are super expensive and I'm sorta looking to be on a medium-end on the budget.

what are some other smaller miscellaneous items I should buy before diving into the bigger equipment?
i.e. bio, auto toppers, live rock, filter cups, etc... things of that sort?

OP
OP
Tygris88

Tygris88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome mate !
Envy the size of the tank you got but not the cost that will go into equipment for it !
(I'm sure I'll do it one day though).

Good luck!
haha, thank you, sir! it's nice to look at but I am losing patience just staring at an empty tank not knowing where to start without blowing the budget! definitely will be building it over the years !

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks for your response, what are your thoughts on the Octo-Pulse 4 or the AI Nero 5s for the RS Peninsula 650?
Mp40s are super expensive and I'm sorta looking to be on a medium-end on the budget.

what are some other smaller miscellaneous items I should buy before diving into the bigger equipment?
i.e. bio, auto toppers, live rock, filter cups, etc... things of that sort?
Stick with the MP40s. I've been reading a steady stream of complaints about the Neros with respect to reliability. You have a lot more wave options with the ReefWave or MP40s.

DarkReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stick with the MP40s. I've been reading a steady stream of complaints about the Neros with respect to reliability. You have a lot more wave options with the ReefWave or MP40s.
Really? I must've missed them I'll have to go research them. I had an issue once with mine playing up, but a dismantle/clean and put back together fixed her up nicely.

OP
OP
Tygris88

Tygris88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for that. Do you think used mp40s would be okay? What should I look out for in used powerheads?

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
red sea peninsula 650.

140 gallons

Did you get a sump with it? Is it drilled for a sump?

For a fish only with live rock (FOWLR) setup, lights are inconsequential. Whatever looks good to you is fine.

A good canister filter will do for filtration.

The statement that you "must have" a skimmer is false. They help, but are not needed.

Auto top off is nice, but also not needed.

What you NEED is a good RODI filter. You MUST have a source of clean water. On a system the size of yours, buying pre made water is not only an intrusion on your time but also highly cost prohibitive.

Wave makers are a matter of preference. Anything that agitates the surface and breaks surface tension is fine. This is an aesthetic issue more than a functionality one. Many people prefer to limit the visibility of their equipment. Therefore they prefer smaller and less intrusive (and higher priced) equipment.

One tip I will add here.. avoid anything that attaches to the inside of the glass with suction cups. Saltwater ruins the material in weeks. Whatever you buy for your tank, that attaches to the glass, get the ones that use magnets to attach.

Last edited:

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
proven, reliable but expensive. I wonder even if a Nero last half as long it may be worth it given it cost half as much…
BTW OP I like the Lifegard “type” AC pumps for sheer longevity/ reliability…many mfg’s make a similar pump or use the same mold …
…but I’m converting to DC now and just cop’d two expensive Neptune COR 20’s …stay tuned

OP
OP
Tygris88

Tygris88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
red sea peninsula 650.

140 gallons

Did you get a sump with it? Is it drilled for a sump?

For a fish only with live rock (FOWLR) setup, lights are inconsequential. Whatever looks good to you is fine.

A good canister filter will do for filtration.

The statement that you "must have" a skimmer is false. They help, but are not needed.

Auto top off is nice, but also not needed.

What you NEED is a good RODI filter. You MUST have a source of clean water. On a system the size of yours, buying pre made water is not only an intrusion on your time but also highly cost prohibitive.

Wave makers are a matter of preference. Anything that agitates the surface and breaks surface tension is fine. This is an aesthetic issue more than a functionality one. Many people prefer to limit the visibility of their equipment. Therefore they prefer smaller and less intrusive (and higher priced) equipment.

One tip I will add here.. avoid anything that attaches to the inside of the glass with suction cups. Saltwater ruins the material in weeks. Whatever you buy for your tank, that attaches to the glass, get the ones that use magnets to attach.

yes the sump came with it.

I am probably going to go with a FOWLR setup for about 6months to a year until I start on corals.
I am looking to get the Ecotech M2 Vectra for a return pump sometime in the next few months.

I heard about skimmers being unnecessary until i have a good amount of livestock in there, say up to 10 fish.

will def purchase a RODI filter, any good recommendations for something at a medium-range price?

thanks for your advice! appreciate it.

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for that. Do you think used mp40s would be okay? What should I look out for in used powerheads?
Not unless you get the seller to show you the disassembled wet sides to ensure that there's no corrosion. I've bought three used units (two MP10s, one MP40) from different sellers over the past two years, and ALL of them had some degree of corrosion. I had to buy new wet sides for all, and with that went any savings from buying used equipment.

I've also found that used Ecotech powerheads are more prone to falling off my tanks. I haven't had this problem with new purchases.

A/C or D/C, What’s Your Preference?

• A/C

Votes: 8 10.4%
  • D/C

Votes: 48 62.3%
  • Both

Votes: 14 18.2%
  • Not Sure

Votes: 12 15.6%
Back