New to reefs

chases

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey I’m new to salt water reefs. I’ve dealt with mutiple fresh water tanks and looking to make a 15 gallon reef tank and wanted to see if there’s information on what I shoukd know and what I should have for my tank like equipment etc?

BanZI29

Still just a reefer noob!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to our little piece of the reef.
before you buy all the stuff, think about what you want in your tank. do you want fish only with some rock? do you want to do all corals? What Kind of coral? there's softies, LPS and SPS. Each type has different needs.
You can ask us anything and we will help you the best we can.

Welcome!!!
f127426c616cd57d67c79dfda815c596.gif

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the hobby and to Reef@Reef!

Reefs are arguably the most complex ecosystems in the world with apex preditors comprising more biomass than herbivores and phototrophs/mixotrophs competeing with algae for space. There's a ton of stuff we can't test for so you are going to hear a lot of opinons. I would start by saying keep your system simple, do your water changes because there's stuff you need to get rid of but can't test for and keep you pH, alklinity, calcium and magnesium with in "accepatble" range (but don't chase numbers) and corals are individuals so don't expect any two to react the same. Here's some links.

"Coral Reefs in the Microbial Seas" This video compliments Rohwer's book of the same title (Paper back is ~$20, Kindle is ~$10), both deal with the conflicting roles of the different types of DOC in reef ecosystems. While there is overlap bewteen his book and the video both have information not covered by the other and together give a broader view of the complex relationships found in reef ecosystems

Changing Seas - Mysterious Microbes

Microbial view of Coral Decline

Nitrogen cycling in hte coral holobiont

BActeria and Sponges

Maintenance of Coral Reef Health (refferences at the end)

Optical Feedback Loop in Colorful Coral Bleaching

DNA Sequencing and the Reef Tank Microbiome

Richard Ross What's up with phosphate"

OP
OP
C

chases

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
before you buy all the stuff, think about what you want in your tank. do you want fish only with some rock? do you want to do all corals? What Kind of coral? there's softies, LPS and SPS. Each type has different needs.

Welcome!!!

Welcome!!!
I was leaning towards a pair of clown fish. What corals would I be allowed to have and what should I be looking to get for the clownfish equipment wise?

randomfishdude

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was leaning towards a pair of clown fish. What corals would I be allowed to have and what should I be looking to get for the clownfish equipment wise?
You could have almost any coral. You could also have an anenome which are cool. But you would probobly haft to wait for the tank to mature.
Wich 15 gal you are kinda limited can be a bit harder too.

Corals depend on what you want. I love things that wave so I went with a few soft corals to start with. But I have favored more towards torch corals because of their colors.

But if you don't care much there is also some cool sps but that's for more advanced.

OP
OP
C

chases

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could have almost any coral. You could also have an anenome which are cool. But you would probobly haft to wait for the tank to mature.

Corals depend on what you want. I love things that wave so I went with a few soft corals to start with. But I have favored more towards torch corals because of their colors.

But if you don't care much there is also some cool sps but that's for more advanced.

what all would I need for the tank equipment wise? That’s what I’ve been trying to figure out like what light is best for the Aquarium and if a sump is needed and what else I would need?

randomfishdude

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what all would I need for the tank equipment wise? That’s what I’ve been trying to figure out like what light is best for the Aquarium and if a sump is needed and what else I would need?
Do you have a aqurium alrety? I think 15 is too small for a sump.
If you don't have a aqurium alrety there is some good 15gal aio.
Usually they have everything you need for filtration except filterfloss.
A light I would recommend a ai prime.

OP
OP
C

chases

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a aqurium alrety? I think 15 is too small for a sump.
If you don't have a aqurium alrety there is some good 15gal aio.
Usually they have everything you need for filtration except filterfloss.
A light I would recommend a ai prime.
Yeah I would like to get a 15 gal aio do you have any suggestions?

randomfishdude

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I would like to get a 15 gal aio do you have any suggestions?
I would recommend something like this. I personally like water box, inovative Marine. Also planet aqurium but thoes you can't really buy online and I don't think they make that small of tanks.

If you can get your hands on a 15 gal planet aqurium (if they exist) I would get one over the others.

Edit: they do exist.

OP
OP
C

chases

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would recommend something like this. I personally like water box, inovative Marine. Also planet aqurium but thoes you can't really buy online and I don't think they make that small of tanks.

If you can get your hands on a 15 gal planet aqurium (if they exist) I would get one over the others.

Edit: they do exist.
Thank you as me being a beginner would you recomend a 15 gal or would it almost be easier to go a little bit bigger as I know sometimes it can be easier?

randomfishdude

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you as me being a beginner would you recomend a 15 gal or would it almost be easier to go a little bit bigger as I know sometimes it can be easier?
I would go bigger.
If you want a smaller tank I would say go woth 30gal. You get more options for fish and coral.

If you can though I would say go with a 75gal or 90gal.
That's kinda the sweet spot.
The smaller the tank the faster things change. Which means you can get a big problem really fast.

OP
OP
C

chases

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would go bigger.
If you want a smaller tank I would say go woth 30gal. You get more options for fish and coral.

If you can though I would say go with a 75gal or 90gal.
That's kinda the sweet spot.
The smaller the tank the faster things change. Which means you can get a big problem really fast.
Yeah I’m thinking 30 gallons might be more my route. Would you have any recommendations for a tank that size?

randomfishdude

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I’m thinking 30 gallons might be more my route. Would you have any recommendations for a tank that size?
Basically the same brands I recommended earlier.

You can go with a sump on a 30 gal.
I would still continue to say go with planet if you can. They have a map on their websites of lfs who sell their tanks.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 23 29.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 38.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 25.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back