New to the Hobby (Red Sea Reefer 250)

Josh Kraft

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I just read that if you are going to get an anemone get one early on because they can hurt other corals when moving. Have you ever had one?
I'd say they need good lighting and a matured tank. What lights do you have?

3dd824eaf8e0ad62c8fe4fe312ceb67b.jpg

Josh Kraft

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It comes with a screwdriver.

To calibrate:
You put RO on the glass and close the flap, then look through the eye piece at light. There will be a line across the screen. You adjust the screw on the top until RO reads at 0.

To test water:
You put saltwater on the glass and where the line crosses is your salinity. Hopefully you are at 1.025-1.026. Since you are just starting, I am thinking it's going to be off, so you may need to make some adjustments to your water to get it right.

Through the eye piece looks like this.

salinity_refractometer_chart.jpg

OP
OP
L

Lucas Lembke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

To calibrate:
You put RO on the glass and close the flap, then look through the eye piece at light. There will be a line across the screen. You adjust the screw on the top until RO reads at 0.

To test water:
You put saltwater on the glass and where the line crosses is your salinity. Hopefully you are at 1.025-1.026. Since you are just starting, I am thinking it's going to be off, so you may need to make some adjustments to your water to get it right.

Ok cool thanks. Should I keep my lights on during the cycle or keep them off

OP
OP
L

Lucas Lembke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

To calibrate:

To test water:

Ok cool thanks. Should I keep my lights on during the cycle or keep them off

OP
OP
L

Lucas Lembke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just went to fish store and they tested my water. Salinity is at 1.025 and everything looks good except nitrate and nitrite. Added some sachem prime that detoxifies ammonia nitrate and nitrate and will test again in 2 days.

Branespikin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well that’s normal in a cycle. I dosed Ammonia to get the cycle going. When ammonia is gone 24 hours after dosing it you know your cycle is done. You dont need any additives. You need to ghost feed or dose ammonia to get the cycle going. You will see spike in Nitrites then it will turn into Nitrates. Once nitrites are gone and goes straight to Nitrates your on right track and have enough bacteria for the cycle.

OP
OP
L

Lucas Lembke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well that’s normal in a cycle. I dosed Ammonia to get the cycle going. When ammonia is gone 24 hours after dosing it you know your cycle is done. You dont need any additives. You need to ghost feed or dose ammonia to get the cycle going. You will see spike in Nitrites then it will turn into Nitrates. Once nitrites are gone and goes straight to Nitrates your on right track and have enough bacteria for the cycle.
Ok I will look for this. When should I test the water next?

Branespikin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get the API kit. Measure Ammonia nitrites and Nitrates pretty much every day so u know shere u are in the cycle

Josh Kraft

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope that fish store didn't urge you to buy stuff to dose while your tank is cycling, if so that's lame of them and they took advantage of you :(

OP
OP
L

Lucas Lembke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get the API kit. Measure Ammonia nitrites and Nitrates pretty much every day so u know shere u are in the cycle
These test kits just arrived. Yesterday I realized that my LFS had API saltwater master test kits but I had already ordered these. The only thing is they don't have nitrite or ammonia. But I can return these two and get the API if you think that would be better. I paid about $100 for the two test kits.

OP
OP
L

Lucas Lembke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have also thought about returning the algae control test kit and getting the API master saltwater while also keeping the foundation pro test kits. Then I would have nitrite, nitrate, pH, ammonia, calcium, alkalinity, and magnesium.

Branespikin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those test you got are great and you will need them very soon. But just for your cycle id get the API cheap ones to measure Ammonia and nitrite etc.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 67 35.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 60 31.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.2%
Back