New to wrasses - getting 5 FFW

Saltysteele

Bret
View Badges
Reaction score
in a van, down by the river in South Haven, MI
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I'm pretty geeked. I've never had a wrasse before, and they never really interested me. I was in an LFS last weekend (Eco Reef in Zeeland, MI), and they had a filamented flasher. I couldn't stop watchin the thing. Thought it was beautiful. Then I saw the 39 price tag, and about **** my britches. Here's a pic, if anyone is unfamiliar with them:
IMG%5D
filamentedflasher.jpg
this is a male. the females are more of an orangish, with red/blue/purple stripes down the side

Well, later, I pm'd Adam (he and his brother, Nick, own the store and online operation) asking what was the best he could do on 3-4 of them. The guys are getting me 5 juvies (all female, one will turn male) for approx 110 bones!! It was like 21 something per fish!!

I'm needing to put netting across the openings of my tank. I've got a 100g tank, and have a little over 150 pounds of rock in there.

Is there anything special I need to do for these girls? Any special care requirements, food, anything?

Thanks!!

Bret

Last edited:

Ladipyg

Saltwater Diva
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's GREAT...what ever you do, don't try to cover the tank with eggcrate. It never fails that the smaller juvies can launch themselves thru it. Ya wouldn't think so but they do. Go to a Home Depot or Lowe's or somewhere similar and get yourself a window screen kit. It will have 4 straight sides that can be cut to length / width and 4 corners to put it together, the spline and screening...Make sure it's not metal. The charcoal color blends the best. Measure twice, cut once. You can get it to rest on the lip of your tank and it will hardly be noticed and a single thickness of screening won't affect the lighting at all.

OP
OP
Saltysteele

Saltysteele

Bret
View Badges
Reaction score
in a van, down by the river in South Haven, MI
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks, guys :)

i've been trying to think of some fish that would be out in the open more, than the ones i have, and i wanted schooling-type fish (or, i guess, shoaling-type), but no chromis. i saw one of these and loved it instantly :haha:

thanks to my boys at eco reef for the awesome deal!

Brad Syphus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a thread showing you what you need to build a wrasse top.
http://www.rareclownfish.com/forums/f32/diy-screen-covering-top-381/#post4552

You will want to double up the netting also. Those flasher wrasses are much more prone to jumping and alot smaller than most fairy wrasses.

I'm a big wrasse fan and learned the hard way at first, and found this top which I think is the best cover you can possibly make to keep the wrasses in and also lets the light come thru unrestricted.

Here are a few pics of mine.

100_4663.jpg

100_4666.jpg

100_4669.jpg

IMG_4397.jpg

detguy123

I'm a pain in the wrasse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
very cool fish salty thats is my favorite flasher wrasse that i have kept..the linespot flasher is very cool and hard fish to find...and it is cool to find the females are very tough to find..and get a top on that tank for sure...here is a pic of my super male linespot i had..the first three of him flashing
linespotflasherwrasse12.jpg

flasherwrasse3.jpg

flasherwrasse2.jpg

non excited
linespotflasherwrasse6.jpg

Brad Syphus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed mine a variety of flakes, pellets and frozen. But I think they like the small spectrum pellets the most. My tank is a frenzy when I feed pellets.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 49 46.2%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 34 32.1%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 15.1%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 6 5.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back