New torch coral weird polyps

Phillyjay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just purchased this torch coral from my LFS and noticed some of these weird feather like polyps on the bottom of the coral. Are those normal? Or do I need to try and remove those before adding to the tank?

thanks!
EF198544-4F3E-44BF-BFE6-35AEB0AA536A.jpeg
EF198544-4F3E-44BF-BFE6-35AEB0AA536A.jpeg

Dkmoo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if it's feathers - esp if you touch it, it retracts back into a hole - then it's actually feather duster worms.

Its a filter feeder. opinion on the forum is divided on if it's beneficial vs a pest.

my personal take is that it is a beneficial filter feeder that contributes to biodiversity and stability. In a healthy and stable environment, their population is self-regulating.

the people on this forum that's of the opinion that they are pests generally point to the fact that they spread very fast and can take over rocks. My take on that is that they spread b/c the tank's conditions ALLOW it spread - usually as a result of inadequate filtration and too much dissolved food particles. In these situations, my opinion is that it's actually good that the population explodes - b/c if it doesn't, all that excess food particles/excess nutrient would have caused more serious issues in the tank stability - the feather is just doing its job to trying to maintain stability.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup.
Me…..I don’t keep that stuff….it’s going to compete with your torch….even though the torch should win.
If I buy a hammer, then I want just the hammer.
Had a green star polyp grow on a leather and it totally covered it completely.

OP
OP
Phillyjay

Phillyjay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if it's feathers - esp if you touch it, it retracts back into a hole - then it's actually feather duster worms.

Its a filter feeder. opinion on the forum is divided on if it's beneficial vs a pest.

my personal take is that it is a beneficial filter feeder that contributes to biodiversity and stability. In a healthy and stable environment, their population is self-regulating.

the people on this forum that's of the opinion that they are pests generally point to the fact that they spread very fast and can take over rocks. My take on that is that they spread b/c the tank's conditions ALLOW it spread - usually as a result of inadequate filtration and too much dissolved food particles. In these situations, my opinion is that it's actually good that the population explodes - b/c if it doesn't, all that excess food particles/excess nutrient would have caused more serious issues in the tank stability - the feather is just doing its job to trying to maintain stability.
Yea it retracts super fast when touched.
Ok awesome thanks for that insight! Will look more into those and see if I want to keep them or not.
Really appreciate it!

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 87 44.4%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 68 34.7%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 27 13.8%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 12 6.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back