NEW Vodka and Vinegar Dosing Charts

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So heavy skimming should limit available organics, correct?

...and flow to limit settlement.

Reducing organics is one of my recommendations trying to reduce cyano, and skimming is one of the good ways to reduce organics.

Flow increase is another of my recommendations to deal with cyano.

Viperdragon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all I started vinegar dosing in my reef tank Friday. Total system around 90 to 100 gallons so doing 24ml over 12 hours I noticed today a heavy white flim on my glass. When I cleaned it off it came off in sheets. Is that a bio flim build up and should I cut back on my dosing. I would say water is a little hazy fish seem to be breathing good but some corals are not happy.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all I started vinegar dosing in my reef tank Friday. Total system around 90 to 100 gallons so doing 24ml over 12 hours I noticed today a heavy white flim on my glass. When I cleaned it off it came off in sheets. Is that a bio flim build up and should I cut back on my dosing. I would say water is a little hazy fish seem to be breathing good but some corals are not happy.
You are allowed to lower the dose.

zheka757

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if i have nitrate problem by being at zero usually, but my phosphates are around .2 range, will dosing vodka or vinegar, will benefit my tank in any way?
I'm slow at understanding this, but is main point of carbon dosing is to reduce nutrients , or is it to feed corals?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is main point of carbon dosing is to reduce nutrients , or is it to feed corals?
Both. If the primary goal is to feed coral, you don’t need to dose much vinegar or vodka. Stay at or near week 1.

Organic carbon won’t work very well for phosphate.

You might see a benefit to your corals by dosing nitrate. This is a high purity and inexpensive product:

zheka757

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both. If the primary goal is to feed coral, you don’t need to dose much vinegar or vodka. Stay at or near week 1.

Organic carbon won’t work very well for phosphate.

You might see a benefit to your corals by dosing nitrate. This is a high purity and inexpensive product:

i have being using it, what made me stop was cyano bacteria. had to stop it altogether, now that i got cyano under control, I'm really nervous to consider dosing any more/other nutrients to my tank.
on a side note, i do want better conditions for my acros. as some of them still not happy, staying as frags not growing/ no PE

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have being using it, what made me stop was cyano bacteria. had to stop it altogether, now that i got cyano under control, I'm really nervous to consider dosing any more/other nutrients to my tank.
on a side note, i do want better conditions for my acros. as some of them still not happy, staying as frags not growing/ no PE
I don’t think organic carbon would help with PE.

Check for parasites (AEFW) or fish nipping.

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can mix vinegar in an ATO with kalkwasser. The high pH prevents bacterial growth.
I have a a question...
If I overdose a alkalinity supplement, I can use acid to correct the dkh(right?). So how is it that you can add an acid(vinegar) to kalk(alk supplement) without reducing its effectiveness?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a a question...
If I overdose a alkalinity supplement, I can use acid to correct the dkh(right?). So how is it that you can add an acid(vinegar) to kalk(alk supplement) without reducing its effectiveness?

Organic acids (as in vinegar) can get fully metabolized to CO2, and when that happens, there is no net effect on alkalinity:

CH3CO2H (acetic acid in vinegar) + 2O2 --> 2 CO2 + 2 H2O

Mineral acids such as muriatic acid/hydrochloric acid (HCl) and sodium bisulfate (NaHSO4) do not experience that same effect, and the acid added permanently depletes alkalinity.

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Organic acids (as in vinegar) can get fully metabolized to CO2, and when that happens, there is no net effect on alkalinity:

CH3CO2H (acetic acid in vinegar) + 2O2 --> 2 CO2 + 2 H2O

Mineral acids such as muriatic acid/hydrochloric acid (HCl) and sodium bisulfate (NaHSO4) do not experience that same effect, and the acid added permanently depletes alkalinity.
Thank you randy!!

Heisenberg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've tried vinegar dosing on my 220 numerous times for a few months at a time. I ramp up slowly and always get hazy water with no reduction in nitrates.
I have a big skimmer and good flow in the system.
Is there something I'm missing?
The tank gets hazy before I even reach the full dose and i never see a reduction in nitrates.
Maybe too much nutrient import?

Heisenberg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hazy water would seem to require substantial uptake. What were the nitrate and phosphate levels?
Phosphate hovers around 0.07-0.15 depending on when I change my rowaphos.
My Nitrate is always between 25-50ppm. (I use salifert and sometimes it looks darker, sometimes lighter, so I'm not 100% which one it is)
But I've never been able to get them under 25.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going to start this this week. Very nervous. Hate doing new things but the WCs and GFO do not keep up with the rising levels every week.
I was right there with you. Fear not, carbon dosing is generally safe for many people. Just follow the chart and observe the tank.

Most likely the tank will chug on just the same as it did prior. Keep us posted. Some people note happier corals, likely from the increased bacterial growth.

Steve2020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Miami Reef , I am seriously thinking about stopping dosing the DIY NoPox and switching to 5% vinegar dosing. I have been reading that vinegar may be safer as far as unwanted bacteria like Cyano and Dino's. Are there any pro's and con's to dosing diluted 5% vinegar via a daily measured drip via an IV bag lets say over a 4-8hr period during the lights on period? My plan is to add RODI water to the recommended daily vinegar amount to make lets say 1000ml. I have been dosing DIY NoPox at only 15ml/day as a maintenance dose to maintain my desired NO3. My total tank measured water volume is 285gal. What would you recommend as a starting point maintenance dose for vinegar for my tank total water volume?
Thanks in advance.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Miami Reef , I am seriously thinking about stopping dosing the DIY NoPox and switching to 5% vinegar dosing. I have been reading that vinegar may be safer as far as unwanted bacteria like Cyano and Dino's. Are there any pro's and con's to dosing diluted 5% vinegar via a daily measured drip via an IV bag lets say over a 4-8hr period during the lights on period? My plan is to add RODI water to the recommended daily vinegar amount to make lets say 1000ml. I have been dosing DIY NoPox at only 15ml/day as a maintenance dose to maintain my desired NO3. My total tank measured water volume is 285gal. What would you recommend as a starting point maintenance dose for vinegar for my tank total water volume?
Thanks in advance.
Perhaps dose about 30-50mL per day of vinegar in your tank. Adjust as needed. Good luck.

Vinegar is something good to dose in a reef tank. Loads of organisms can consume it. It is one of the most highly processed organic in the oceans. :)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 82 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.9%
Back