Newb question about Red Sea protein skimmer

Ballyhoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As stated in some other threads, I'm completely new to this hobby. And I went all out and got Max G2 system. I'm just not 100% sure about how protein skimmer worksLFS helped me install everything but left now wondering how everything works, reading, manuals, etc. the manual for the protein skimmer was a little confusing for me. The main question I have is about this free hanging valve. I found this valve floating in the sump and I'm not sure if I manipulated it and opened or closed it. I was reading the manual and it almost suggests like it's supposed to rest on an elbow and be above water? That doesn't make sense. I think it should be submerged. I'm just not sure if this valve should be open or closed. Or maybe I should close it when feeding occurs, to turn off the skimmer for about 30 minutes when I feed .
Thanks all for educating a newb.
FYI today is day 6 of initial cycle.

IMG_5399.jpeg

OP
OP
B

Ballyhoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Solved, it's a drain line. keep it closed until there may be overflow in the cup.

OP
OP
B

Ballyhoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sure, but the Red Sea video on this product really ignored what to do with that water valve. I think it was from the video from bulk reef or another vendor that had a video that explained what the valve is for. I Have a lot of questions. Mixing the salt for example . I have a pump to mix the salt. I read some people saying they merely stir it for 15 minutes and never ever had issues for any number of years, and others pump the water overnight to mix up. maybe I'll post another thread asking about that.

esquare

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sure, but the Red Sea video on this product really ignored what to do with that water valve. I think it was from the video from bulk reef or another vendor that had a video that explained what the valve is for. I Have a lot of questions. Mixing the salt for example . I have a pump to mix the salt. I read some people saying they merely stir it for 15 minutes and never ever had issues for any number of years, and others pump the water overnight to mix up. maybe I'll post another thread asking about that.
That's surprising they wouldn't mention the drain valve.

A pump of some kind speeds up the mixing process.

One thing you will find is there are many different ways of successfully maintaining a reef tank so you will hear many different approaches and opinions. You will need to decide the best approach/method for you. Reviewing various sources of information is, IMO, the best way to develop the best approach for you.

This forum is an incredible resource and something I would have killed for when I started the hobby back In the Ice Age.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 30 36.6%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 10 12.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 31.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 14 17.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back