Newbie, confused about nitrates

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Randy I have an aluminum screen that I made to keep my fish in the tank (if I ever get any in there lol)... Is it ok if the aluminum momentarily touches the water until the system hits it's rhythm and balances out...water level drops in main display?

You sure it is aluminum? I wouldn't want much exposure of aluminum to the water, but it might be nylon or other sort of nonmetallic material.

OP
OP
Fishinwall

Fishinwall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You sure it is aluminum? I wouldn't want much exposure of aluminum to the water, but it might be nylon or other sort of nonmetallic material.

Oh gosh... Pretty darn sure it is aluminum....from lowes...screen making parts.

Finally... Down to 20ppm.... Honestly I thought and wished it would be lower, but I'll take it. Geez

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, yes the frame might be aluminum. I'd personally not want it getting into the water, but it might not be an issue. Many folks use aluminum oxide phosphate binders, and most appear to not have a problem from them even though I think some aluminum is released.

OP
OP
Fishinwall

Fishinwall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I can keep it out of the water...no problem. Hopefully if there's an occasional splash it won't be a problem.

Mike in CT

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to chime in with my experience using dry rock. I think it just takes a lot longer to get adequate numbers of nitrate eating bacteria vs traditional live rock. I started a 75 g with very load bio load and my nitrates went off the charts with nitrates (using dry rock) and no amount of water changes seemed to help. After changing out 40 gallons a time multiple times in a few weeks, and not seeing hardly any change, I gave up and slowly started vodka dosing.
Finally after 3 or 4 months my nitrate levels finally came down to just about zero. I slowly weaned it off vodka and my nitrates will stay below 10 or so depending how much water I change out.

OP
OP
Fishinwall

Fishinwall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to chime in with my experience using dry rock. I think it just takes a lot longer to get adequate numbers of nitrate eating bacteria vs traditional live rock. I started a 75 g with very load bio load and my nitrates went off the charts with nitrates (using dry rock) and no amount of water changes seemed to help. After changing out 40 gallons a time multiple times in a few weeks, and not seeing hardly any change, I gave up and slowly started vodka dosing.
Finally after 3 or 4 months my nitrate levels finally came down to just about zero. I slowly weaned it off vodka and my nitrates will stay below 10 or so depending how much water I change out.

What corals are you keeping now? It may be a while before I try a coral...I don't even know where to start there.
Do you have a tank thread?

Mike in CT

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started with an assortment of coral frags... Only the strong survived.
Most of the soft corals survived, some struggled a bit , but most are growing well now. My frog spawn and hammers shrunk up and lost a few heads, but I knew things were headed in the right direction when they started inflating more and growing new heads. I would recommend getting a few of the easier corals and see how they do. I just wouldn't invest in anything pricey right now until your tank stabilizes. Of course now I'm dealing with a phosphate problem, so there are always challenges to overcome.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 56 40.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 16 11.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 39 28.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 26 18.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back