Newbie, confused about nitrates

cosac285

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I started setting up my new tank, I let water flow for cycle.with live rock, sand. mangrove,chaeto and seaweed we called it lato in tagalog in my refugium no more water changes what so ever.those plants I mentioned are the best for nitraite ammonia remover and decoloration of the water. In natural way.and when I saw green algae in my tank, and that's the time I put snail for a start. after a week, some fish and so on.

OP
OP
Fishinwall

Fishinwall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not buying that rocks release nitrates back into the water because I also have a QT tank with no rocks in it... No sand either and the nitrates went up in that tank too. I only have two peppermint shrimp in it and some Calurpa.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you have nitrates that get really high.....180. Your rock absorbs some and it can be released back into the water at a later time.

I don't believe that happens with nitrate, only phosphate. :)

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not buying that rocks release nitrates back into the water because I also have a QT tank with no rocks in it... No sand either and the nitrates went up in that tank too. I only have two peppermint shrimp in it and some Calurpa.

Nitrate doesn't bind to rock the way phosphate does. :)

OP
OP
Fishinwall

Fishinwall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't believe that happens with nitrate, only phosphate. :)

Randy. So why would nitrates in a 20 gal tank with no rock or sand or fish increase in nitrates?

I took 6 gal from nitrate high display tank and added 12 more gal of fresh RO/DI saltwater to the tank for a total of about 18 gal. I had seeded a sponge filter in the sump of my display tank for about two weeks at end of cycle to bring bacteria into the QT tank.

Only added two peppermint shrimp and a small (4 x 3") bag of Calurpa to tank. After adding the fresh water the nitrates were at 40.... Few days later it went up over 80.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Randy. So why would nitrates in a 20 gal tank with no rock or sand or fish increase in nitrates?

I took 6 gal from nitrate high display tank and added 12 more gal of fresh RO/DI saltwater to the tank for a total of about 18 gal. I had seeded a sponge filter in the sump of my display tank for about two weeks at end of cycle to bring bacteria into the QT tank.

Only added two peppermint shrimp and a small (4 x 3") bag of Calurpa to tank. After adding the fresh water the nitrates were at 40.... Few days later it went up over 80.

I'm not sure what you observed exactly, but stirring up detritus might accelerate production of nitrate. Also, degradation of organics in the water will produce ammonia and then nitrate.

Nitrate testing is also not very accurate.

phillrodrigo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure I would recommend carbon dosing at such a early stage. Not saying that it wont help but it should be a last resort. I would stick with water changes. Doing it with water changes should help you learn on proper husbandry. If a year down the road you have a tank full of fish and corals and you have a issue I don't see a issue carbon dosing just my opinion.

OP
OP
Fishinwall

Fishinwall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm probably not going to dose to fix the nitrates, I'm going to do an 18 gal water change but I'm at the bottom of my first bucket of salt so I need to order another one first. Curious as to why you would think it would be better to wait for a year after I have a tank full before starting down the dosing path as opposed to trying it when my tank is not full of life. Although I'd probably be the first to agree that it probably isn't something I should do since I really don't understand it all.

OP
OP
Fishinwall

Fishinwall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aaahh. After changing out 18 gal of water (70gal tank). My nitrates the next day are still reading 160!!!!!

How much water do I need to waste to get them down? :(

OP
OP
Fishinwall

Fishinwall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I measured the new mix before I put in and it was zero. API Kit.

OP
OP
Fishinwall

Fishinwall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Ok forget this...I think it is just for fresh water.

Randy. I read this: http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2003/8/chemistry

Here's what I'm thinking.
My tank is just starting. My goal is SPS.
I started with 100 lbs dead rock
Mostly dead Tropic Eden sand, but 20lbs of live.
I tried to speed up the nitrogen cycle by dosing ammonia. Sept 29, 2014
Added about three pounds of live rock to sump at beginning of cycle. Aug 20, 2014
I'm sure I'm through the cycle, but now my nitrates are super high...160ppm

I have one emerald crab that has lived in this for one month. Now Nov 15, 2014
Since the end if the cycle, I've done at least three 10% water changes and now just recently an 18 gal change (26%).
Still high nitrates.

Is it ok for me to start adding fish slowly?
Keep doing weekly 10% water changes.
And do you think nitrates will eventually come down to acceptable levels?
I think I may buy some Cheato too...I do have some Caulerpa in my QT tank that I'm going to divide and place in the sump of my display. Or should I keep the Caulerpa out of my main display sump?

At what time can I start adding corals?

All advice/opinions welcome!!

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, those binders don't work well in seawater, but they may bind some.

How much ammonia did you add during cycling?

Chaeto is a good choice for now. I like caulerpa and use it, but once in the display tank it becomes a terrible pest.

OP
OP
Fishinwall

Fishinwall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm how do I add that up?...I have it but it may take me some time to calculate it. Just looking at the gallon...
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1416061747.359177.jpg

This much.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 61 39.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 17 11.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 44 28.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 29 19.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back