Newbie setting up a 60 gal deep blue rimless

Terry4505

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great start so far!

Yes, you are going to want to use glue and primer on all of your PVC joints.

You also might want to look into a controllable wavemaker at some point. Something like a Jebao RW-4 would be good for that sized tank. I've found flow to be far more important than I ever thought

OP
OP
J

JennFried

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunetly the sump is 23.5 and doesnt fit except how I have it set up now. Wish it would fit sideways as things are going to get cramped real quick!

OP
OP
J

JennFried

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Terry...thanks for the heads up on the glue and primer.... should I use thread tape on the threaded joints or just glue? I have been for sure looking at a jebao controller....maybe santa will leave me one in my stocking this year!

Joker79

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Terry...thanks for the heads up on the glue and primer.... should I use thread tape on the threaded joints or just glue? I have been for sure looking at a jebao controller....maybe santa will leave me one in my stocking this year!

Yes def use thread tape in all threaded fittings.

OP
OP
J

JennFried

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure whether to go with 2 koralia 600s or can I get away with 1 cortech mp40 as someone I know suggested?

I probably can't help too much on this, but I think your flow rates will eventually be based on what you would like in your tank. I absolutely LOVED the vortech mp40, but they were just so expensive. I figured since this is my first tank, I would go with the Koralia Hydor Evolution 1500. It's got a real high flow rate, can be connected to a controller, and was super reasonable in price. I'm sure I will upgrade to the vortech one day, but wanted to see how I could get on without one initially. From what I saw, I think the mp40 would work although you still might eventually need an additional one if you are finding dead spots. I was also at one point thinking of getting 2x vortech 10es. But.. alas, my wallet one, and we got the cheaper Koralia. When this tank finally gets wet, I'll let you know how they work. :D

ravenjred

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I think I'm going to go with the Koralia also to start. Vortech's are expensive and I can always change later if necessary.

AJQ69

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So...I was at Petco today for sone dog food...and decided to peruse their saltwater section. I noticed a 24-36" fluval LED reef light. 25k lumens, 25 watts, 312...very tiny lights. My gut tells me, too expensive and not a good light ($179). Has anyone had any experience with them?
Your guts were right, check ReefBreeders...

Wags

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an mp10 in my 50 cube with a 700ish return. Mind has plenty of flow and I absolutely love all the modes. I think a 40 would be plenty. They have a calculator on their website that tells you flow from their products in your tank

OP
OP
J

JennFried

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone for the advice so far! One question I still have, would be about using liquid electrical tape. I have a small tear in the wire casing on the skimmer motor. I was looking at covering it with some liquid electrical tape and then some normal black electrical tape. Has anyone used these materials before during complete submersion of those wires? I'm obviously nervous about electricution .. but also a seepage of chemicals long term into the water. I am going to hopefully be finishing up the plumbing next weekend and be about 50% ready to get this tank wet :D

OP
OP
J

JennFried

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok.. just a quick update since I haven't posted in awhile here. Finally got myself to Home Depot to get the plumbing supplies for the sump. I'm feeling totally in over my head. Nothing fits properly! I was hoping to put a ball valve between the tank and the sock, to cut off water in an emergency, or for a sock change... there is so very little room and I don't think I can get it to fit unless I install something like a "U" pipe (like the trap under a sink). Not sure the ball valve is even needed, but I really wanted to be able to squeeze one in. Next, nothing wants to fit on the bulkhead fitting for the return. I got a threaded 1-1/4" and a 1" female .. the 1-1/4" is too large and the 1" is too small. Lastly, I have no idea what type of part fits onto the output for the return pump. I might have to check my local LFS and ask them what to do about that one. They should know. I am frustrated, and feeling down in the dumps about this in the moment. I was really hoping to get water in it next weekend and finally start to cycle. Anyways, this too shall pass and I'll make a second attempt tomorrow when my problem solving skills aren't being hijacked by my frustrations :)

ravenjred

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok.. just a quick update since I haven't posted in awhile here. Finally got myself to Home Depot to get the plumbing supplies for the sump. I'm feeling totally in over my head. Nothing fits properly! I was hoping to put a ball valve between the tank and the sock, to cut off water in an emergency, or for a sock change... there is so very little room and I don't think I can get it to fit unless I install something like a "U" pipe (like the trap under a sink). Not sure the ball valve is even needed, but I really wanted to be able to squeeze one in. Next, nothing wants to fit on the bulkhead fitting for the return. I got a threaded 1-1/4" and a 1" female .. the 1-1/4" is too large and the 1" is too small. Lastly, I have no idea what type of part fits onto the output for the return pump. I might have to check my local LFS and ask them what to do about that one. They should know. I am frustrated, and feeling down in the dumps about this in the moment. I was really hoping to get water in it next weekend and finally start to cycle. Anyways, this too shall pass and I'll make a second attempt tomorrow when my problem solving skills aren't being hijacked by my frustrations :)

Hi, I just did the plumbing in my 60 gallon cube and I have a trigger systems sump. I used all 1" pvc for the plumbing, including the return pump. All of it was slip fittings, no threads. I have attached a picture so you can see how I did mine.
IMG_0603.jpg

OP
OP
J

JennFried

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used all 1" pvc for the plumbing, including the return pump. All of it was slip fittings, no threads.

Looks great! Thanks for the reference. In terms of the connection of the 1" to the return pump, what did you use? ie: Female coupling, Male adapter? I can't seem to find anything that fits over the little nub that sticks out of the return. I will post a pic below in the next msg as reference also. It's an eheim 3000 compact return pump. I think if I re-situate the sump in the base, then I can figure out the majority of the rest of the plumbing with what I have. I love the red pvc.. kinda jealous! We have ugly white from Home Depot.. lol.

OP
OP
J

JennFried

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have no idea how to attach 1" pvc to this little output nubby thing....

Attachments

• 1420984788465.jpg
    1420984788465.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 261

ravenjred

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Waterblaster HY-5000 pump has a screw thread on top that I screwed on an adapter to, to hold the pvc. The only thing I can think of with your pump is to use a soft piece of plumbing for the return instead of hard plumbing. Make sure you get the one with the reinforced lining if you choose to go that route. I can't think of another way. As you said, try your lfs and see what they say.

thadscottmoore

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a pair of the MP10Wes pumps synced opposite of each other on my cube. plenty of water movement and no dead spaces. I bought them used but still new in the boxes- saved a bunch of money thrift shopping and trolling reef classifieds. I went with the Sicce Syncra Silent Series 3.0 with its built in variable control reduced back to about 500GPH turn over rate at the current head pressure. look through classifieds- people always getting in and out of the hobby - and plenty of up-sizing or down-sizing their systems. Now, my sicce pump I bought new- as it is required to do a bulk of the work for the system. if it fails- no bueno. invest in a good return pump and maybe even a back up pump- make sure that if power failure or pump failure occurs, that your sump will be able to handle the flow back from the tank- wet floors could suck! I also bought a used RKE and components for about half of what they sell for new. The MP10Wes pumps- I paid 230.00 for the pair from a local reefer getting out of the hobby before he even really started. his loss was my gain. My ATI light system, I bought off of reef2reef classifieds for a good deal too. My tank and stand were bought used, built my own plumbing. I had BAO build my sump per my dimensions- and that was a large bulk of the cost for my system.

thadscottmoore

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone for the advice so far! One question I still have, would be about using liquid electrical tape. I have a small tear in the wire casing on the skimmer motor. I was looking at covering it with some liquid electrical tape and then some normal black electrical tape. Has anyone used these materials before during complete submersion of those wires? I'm obviously nervous about electricution .. but also a seepage of chemicals long term into the water. I am going to hopefully be finishing up the plumbing next weekend and be about 50% ready to get this tank wet :D

I would be nervous about voltage in the tank. had a koralia pump that became a voltage culprit in a previous tank- shocked the crap out of me when I least expected it. I personally wouldnt risk the chance- purchase another pump motor is my suggestion.

P3FE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 60 cube just like yours. At the beginning I want it to hard plum everything but quickly realized that I would run out of space under the tank so I went with flexible tubes. Because is a small tank IMO there is not a real reason to hard plum and sacrifice space that you are going to need later. An MP40 will be plenty of flow and some, I have one and run it at 70% no dead spots. I have a single Radion Gen2 and its plenty of light for the tank. You can get some of this stuff cheap on the sale section or on craig list, I,ve seen Gen2 go for 200 dollars before and because they drop the price of the the mp40 to 299 Im sure you will be able to scoop one for around 150, just a though. 60 cubes are really fun tanks to have, the space for equipment is a challenge but it can be done just fine, you wont believed how much stuff I have been able to fit under the stand, lol. Good luck!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 158 57.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.9%
Back