Night Time Acro PE

Pitcom

Not Reef Safe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was really worried when i first bought this acro. When i took my first photo i noticed these white things on the skin. I later researched and found them out to be hydrozoa, or hydroids. So far they have not bothered the coral and appear to be lower in numbers althought still present. Does anyone know the long term effects of these pests or should i just let them be and see what happens? Anyway, this coral was a nice pickup.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Wow man BEAutiful!!! Thanks for sharing and keep the pics coming!

OP
OP
Pitcom

Pitcom

Not Reef Safe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I'm still learning how to use my camera for coral shots. I've always loved dark photography and thats why alot of my pictures you see are of a dark setting.

surfn

I bleed orange and maroon
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just keep an eye on the hydroids to make sure they aren't popping up on other sps and spreading.

now those are some of the best pics i've seen yet. the 3rd pic is VERY good! good job!

OP
OP
Pitcom

Pitcom

Not Reef Safe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just keep an eye on the hydroids to make sure they aren't popping up on other sps and spreading.

now those are some of the best pics i've seen yet. the 3rd pic is VERY good! good job!

Thanks Surfn. Do you know of any way to get rid of droids? I picked up 3 really nice acros this week and another one has hydroids on it. Not as many as the green one photod here but it has them none the less.

surfn

I bleed orange and maroon
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Surfn. Do you know of any way to get rid of droids? I picked up 3 really nice acros this week and another one has hydroids on it. Not as many as the green one photod here but it has them none the less.

possibly dip them in TMPCC.......but i'd research for info on it first. i'm always afraid to dip sps myself, but i know it can be done successfully

OP
OP
Pitcom

Pitcom

Not Reef Safe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
possibly dip them in TMPCC.......but i'd research for info on it first. i'm always afraid to dip sps myself, but i know it can be done successfully

My LFS actually dipped these sps in Lugol's when they came in. It's the first time they've tried it and wanted to see if it had any effects. I guess I'll just keep an eye on it, they really dont seem to be bothering the coral.

ficklefins

Super Duper Moderator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for sharing these pics. They are really nice and give a good view of night time behavior (especially for the SPS newbs like myself).

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 31 40.8%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 39 51.3%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 6 7.9%
Back