Nitrate 160ppm+ help needed

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Using tap water. Declorinated. I've test my tape water comes out 0 ammonia 0 nitrites 0 nitrate
Hmm, what the goal on the tank? Fish only? Or reef? Tap may have metals and other stuff in it that's harmful to coral.. What is the TDS of the tap water?

I'd recommend looking at this kit from spectrapure: http://spectrapure.com/Aquarium-RO...ment-Filter Kit-TDS Meters-Chlorine-Test-Kit

We are water keepers, best thing is to start with pure water, then you aren't guessing what's in it or not...

OP
OP
Stevew36

Stevew36

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm, what the goal on the tank? Fish only? Or reef? Tap may have metals and other stuff in it that's harmful to coral.. What is the TDS of the tap water?

I'd recommend looking at this kit from spectrapure: http://spectrapure.com/Aquarium-RO-DI-Starter Kit-Includes-RODI-System-Replacement-Filter Kit-TDS Meters-Chlorine-Test-Kit

We are water keepers, best thing is to start with pure water, then you aren't guessing what's in it or not...
Yes it sounds like a fresh start I will go purchase some r/o water. and wash sand and rocks

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it sounds like a fresh start I will go purchase some r/o water. and wash sand and rocks
Sounds good. I'd recommend investing in your own rodi, then you can be assured the filters are changed on time, water is actually 0 TDS, don't have to lug buckets around town, can have water on demand during store off hours, etc.

It really is the best thing you can purchase for keeping a reef aquarium.

I toted water for a year from the lfs, I do not miss those days. Now I just roll my brute can around the house, and mixing my own salt is better too. The lfs would have variance on sg. you only get the salt mix they use, don't have a choice on brand of salt etc..

Good luck with the cleaning!

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Goal is fish only tank.
Good you have a little bit more tolerance on your nitrates then since your only having to keep algae down, not keep coral alive.

Let us know how your readings settle out after the cleaning.

I would watch for a mini cycle (ammonia) but I just did this on a well established but smaller tank (biocube) and had zero ammonia show after the deep clean.

Mattrg02

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you test your tap water or pre water change water for nitrates? I believe the nitrate test is only accurate for salt water.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 27.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 34 34.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 30.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 6.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.0%
Back