Nitrate questions

WhatCouldGoWrong71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
So I have been dealing with a PO4 and NO3 ratio that has been out of sync. But, everything looks good and is growing. I went out of the country for 30 days, my wife tank sat for me with me putting 98% of everything on auto pilot. She did great, as of course Murphy hit and my DOS that feeds CA pooped the bed and she had to manually dose the last 10 days. I also put PO4 and NO3 on an DOS unit to prevent bottoming out, as I dealt with Dinos last year, and didn't want to go through that again. I have had my GEO algae reactor online for about 1.5 months before I left, I didn't clean it. My auto fish feeder is set to 5 times a day with 2 rotations and we feed frozen at night. By my estimate my wife fed about three times as much as I would have in the same time period.

I asked her to not clean the glass and I would just deal with it when I got back. 7 days before I got home she sent in my RM ICP-MS. When I got home I noticed that when I was servicing my roller mat (RS1200) I forgot to hook up the water line to the roller!!!!! So, my system went 4 weeks with no roller. Also, so she didn't have to worry much about cleaning the urinal (as we call it) I set it to a very dry skim, she only had to empty it once during week 3.

I haven't cleaned my Algae reactor yet, but it has about 3/4 of an inch of GHA on every single internal square inch, this thing is a beast.

When I got my ICP back my PO4 is at .05 but my NO3 is at 0.6. I have not used an Algae reactor before, are all my nutrients bound up in the reactor, if I clean half of it out, will my nutrients come up? I am super surprised that with the very heavy feeding, dosing NO3, no mechanical filtration other than a dry skimmate that my NO3 is nearly bottomed out.

I am wondering if I should unhook my roller and just let the system run without it? The tank looks good. There was a good amount of algae on the glass. Most of my turbo snail shells are now dark, not stripped and you can clearly see some darkness on the rocks, but other than the glass and my frag racks having algae, it trucking along. I also wonder if I should cut my algae reactor's light schedule in half, I have it at about 16 hours a day.

IMG_3562.jpg IMG_3566.jpg IMG_3580.jpg

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about dosing aminos? I like that option when phosphates are where you want them to be. Or, maybe turn your skimmer on a timer to be on at night only

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take your wife out to dinner, she earned her keep!

Leave the tank equipment alone and only change things one at a time. Since the roller mat is off, removing it is not a change.

And if the tank looks good and the coral is happy why do you want to change things?

If you have something to fix then examine that issue and fix it. A ratio of nutrients is a hypothetical thing that is often spoken about but not agreed upon. People routinely change stuff to “fix the ratio “ and then they post about how their coral is suffering after fixing the ratio.

Again, what are you trying to fix here? Hope this helps you relax and enjoy your tank, it’s beautiful.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Harvest 50% of the algae and dont change anything. The reactors are very efficient and will allow you to feed the fish and system more.
Remember that no3 and po4 #'s are what your export system is not removing.
Those numbers are fine if they are stable and the system is being fed.
The filter roller can quickly bring po4 to zero with the current level you have if you keep it running.
The ratio is not important if the system kept stable around those #'s.

OP
OP
W

WhatCouldGoWrong71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Take your wife out to dinner, she earned her keep!

Leave the tank equipment alone and only change things one at a time. Since the roller mat is off, removing it is not a change.

And if the tank looks good and the coral is happy why do you want to change things?

If you have something to fix then examine that issue and fix it. A ratio of nutrients is a hypothetical thing that is often spoken about but not agreed upon. People routinely change stuff to “fix the ratio “ and then they post about how their coral is suffering after fixing the ratio.

Again, what are you trying to fix here? Hope this helps you relax and enjoy your tank, it’s beautiful.
@KrisReef Hey man, hope you are well. It was more about putting it back the way I had the tank before I left. Seeing the NO3 at .5 alarmed me, but this was addressed below. I like the idea of not hooking the roller back up, for now. It will help me move some frags to the sump for the time being. I guess I accidentally found something that works. The leathers on the big rock literally doubled in size while I was gone, they have been open but not growing for many many months. All the SPS have grown, everything has. It's amazing when you don't see your tank for 4 weeks. I will leave it exactly as I found it. I may tweak the skim some, but that would be the only touch. You are correct and, yes, I will have to take the wife out to dinner, she crushed it.

OP
OP
W

WhatCouldGoWrong71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Harvest 50% of the algae and dont change anything. The reactors are very efficient and will allow you to feed the fish and system more.
Remember that no3 and po4 #'s are what your export system is not removing.
Those numbers are fine if they are stable and the system is being fed.
The filter roller can quickly bring po4 to zero with the current level you have if you keep it running.
The ratio is not important if the system kept stable around those #'s.
TY you. Super helpful.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@KrisReef Hey man, hope you are well. It was more about putting it back the way I had the tank before I left. Seeing the NO3 at .5 alarmed me, but this was addressed below. I like the idea of not hooking the roller back up, for now. It will help me move some frags to the sump for the time being. I guess I accidentally found something that works. The leathers on the big rock literally doubled in size while I was gone, they have been open but not growing for many many months. All the SPS have grown, everything has. It's amazing when you don't see your tank for 4 weeks. I will leave it exactly as I found it. I may tweak the skim some, but that would be the only touch. You are correct and, yes, I will have to take the wife out to dinner, she crushed it.
Thanks, life is as good as it gets. Grandson visiting with parents and the reef and fish tanks are holding their own. Glad your tank is cooking and growing!

Back