T

T4ylor

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
088B30A8-47E5-439D-BC1B-FC3ACBD5D1CA.jpeg

To directly ask that question after reading your response cell makes no sense. There’s a button for that thankfully
problem is my lfs won’t sell me fish unless my levels are 0

OP
OP
T

T4ylor

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have added ammonia twice and it dropped significantly both times, I see no need to be waiting for slow starting of adding organisms.

What is the first organism you wanted to add?
i have a pair of clowns waiting to be added as soon as nitrites are down. lfs wants to check my water levels upon collection so the nitrite build up is a problem. My ammonia gets broken down quick enough just the build up of nitrite because of several ammonia doses means they’ve built up above 4ppm. Be that for 5 days after last dose

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
problem is my lfs won’t sell me fish unless my levels are 0
Oh, another one of those...

My advice to a fellow new reefer that was in a similar situation is to bring in a sample of RODI. Your LFS is not a reliable source of saltwater info.

Glowurm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m about 2 weeks in to my cycle that started by dosing 1ppm ammonium chloride and used Dr tim’s one and only bacteria.
when ammonia dropped to 0.25 each time i redosed ammonia waiting until it got broken down fully in 24 hours.
My nitrite started to rise on day 2 and continued to (my salifert test kit only reads up to 4ppm of nitrites and 100pm of nitrates maximum)
Nitrates were present after a few days but have been told nitrite can create false nitrate readings.
On the 29th my ammonia was down to just below 1, after dosing it back to 1 for the past week whenever it dropped, and i raised it to 2ppm on the morning of the 29th. I then retested that night and got 1ppm. I tested again the next morning and it was 0-0.3 (hard to read accurately)
and by the next morning it was definitely 0. Nitrites have been 4ppm or above all the way through and still are. Nitrates are reading 100+ppm.

What should i do from here? i’d think to just wait it out until nitrite finally drops but if this takes a while could this inhibit my ammonia bacteria?

IMG_3093.jpeg

Part of the process is a 25% water change at the end of the process and it makes not mention of adding when ammonia falls to .25, rather every other day for the first 6 days.

OP
OP
T

T4ylor

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, another one of those...

My advice to a fellow new reefer that was in a similar situation is to bring in a sample of RODI. Your LFS is not a reliable source of saltwater info.
they’ll notice 0 nitrates, low ph, alkalinity etc

OP
OP
T

T4ylor

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Part of the process is a 25% water change at the end of the process and it makes not mention of adding when ammonia falls to .25, rather every other day for the first 6 days.
on day 3 and 6 it says add ammonia if below 5 ppm

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
on day 3 and 6 it says add ammonia if below 5 ppm

What says that?

NO cycling plan should say that and Dr Tim's does not.

Day 3 – If ammonia and nitrite are below 1 ppm add more ammonia: four drops of our ammonium chloride per gallon (check the label).

Day 6 – If ammonia and nitrite are below 1 ppm add 2 ppm ammonia.

OP
OP
T

T4ylor

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What says that?

NO cycling plan should say that and Dr Tim's does not.

Day 3 – If ammonia and nitrite are below 1 ppm add more ammonia: four drops of our ammonium chloride per gallon (check the label).

Day 6 – If ammonia and nitrite are below 1 ppm add 2 ppm ammonia.

Attachments

• IMG_3109.jpeg
    IMG_3109.jpeg
    195.7 KB · Views: 45

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no idea where that picture came from but it is terrible advice and may just be a typo.

IMO, no reasonable person says to add more ammonia if you already have 4.9 ppm ammonia.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All your questions have been addressed in this thread and your 3 other previous threads. Believe what you are being told or not, but stop making everyone repeat themselves and waste time that could be spent helping others whose questions have not been repeatedly addressed.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it’s from here bro

Ignore it. It is very badly written and should not be taken as a reason to add more ammonia.

Tim says elsewhere on the same web site:

"Whatever the source of your ammonia, the following is the way to proceed. Add the ammonia solution to the aquarium so that the ammonia concentration is between 2 and 3 mg/L (but, as mentioned, do not go above 5 mg/L). "

2-3 ppm ammonia is plenty for cycling a marine system. if your tank processes 2 ppm twice, it is cycled.

OP
OP
T

T4ylor

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ignore it. It is very badly written and should not be taken as a reason to add more ammonia.

Tim says elsewhere on the same web site:

"Whatever the source of your ammonia, the following is the way to proceed. Add the ammonia solution to the aquarium so that the ammonia concentration is between 2 and 3 mg/L (but, as mentioned, do not go above 5 mg/L). "

2-3 ppm ammonia is plenty for cycling a marine system. if your tank processes 2 ppm twice, it is cycled.
so with my tank cycling 2ppm of ammonia in 24 hours i’ve looked at articles etc and even tho my nitrites are above 4-5ppm and nitrates i’m not sure because nitrite interfere with the test it’s still safe to add my clowns.
i’ve read only once nitrites reach 300pm do they become life threatening to marine fish and mine aren’t going to reach that and should be on the way down so aslong as the ammonia is broken down it’s fine

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so with my tank cycling 2ppm of ammonia in 24 hours i’ve looked at articles etc and even tho my nitrites are above 4-5ppm and nitrates i’m not sure because nitrite interfere with the test it’s still safe to add my clowns.
i’ve read only once nitrites reach 300pm do they become life threatening to marine fish and mine aren’t going to reach that and should be on the way down so aslong as the ammonia is broken down it’s fine

Yes, that is true. If ammonia has twice gown down from 2+ ppm to low levels than it is ready for a clown, IMO.

OP
OP
T

T4ylor

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, that is true. If ammonia has twice gown down from 2+ ppm to low levels than it is ready for a clown, IMO.
it has only gone down from 2 that quickly once and it was the most recent dose on the saturday, and i performed a 20% water change yesterday. could i wait a few days and then add 2ppm ammonia again to be sure it can handle it

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it has only gone down from 2 that quickly once and it was the most recent dose on the saturday, and i performed a 20% water change yesterday. could i wait a few days and then add 2ppm ammonia again to be sure it can handle it

Sure, waiting for any reason doesn’t hurt anything, but it also may not help anything.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 44 29.3%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 41 27.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 52 34.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 5.3%
Back