Cycling Question

T4ylor

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i have my tank set up and ready but the silicone in my sump i added is still curing.
How can i go about starting the cycle in my tank only first until my sump is ready to run in a weeks time?
I plan to leave my power heads on and put my heater into my display but how do i go about dosing the ammonia and bacteria?
Should i dose the ammonia and bacteria with the amount of the whole system or just the display?
(note: i am going to add extra rock in my display and move it down to the sump later on)
and if i dose the amount for just the display should i then dose extra for my sump volume once its ready or leave it?

wisnia99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just drop a dead shrimp in there and let it decompose

ScottJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dose ammonia to your water volume. Bottled bac you can just use the whole bottle.

Or just throw a shrimp in there and let it decompose...

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i have my tank set up and ready but the silicone in my sump i added is still curing.
How can i go about starting the cycle in my tank only first until my sump is ready to run in a weeks time?
I plan to leave my power heads on and put my heater into my display but how do i go about dosing the ammonia and bacteria?
Should i dose the ammonia and bacteria with the amount of the whole system or just the display?
(note: i am going to add extra rock in my display and move it down to the sump later on)
and if i dose the amount for just the display should i then dose extra for my sump volume once its ready or leave it?
Well, I did my tank the other way around. I cycled the sump before I had the display tank. Just cycle it like an independent tank. Adding or moving rocks and water later will have no effect on the systems carrying capability for a while.

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t suggest the dead shrimp thing, that method literally stinks! Stick with your bottled bacteria and ammonia. Dose the amount of ammonia for the volume of tank water, the bacteria you can safely overdose and use the whole bottle. Keep your powerheads on and heater going, and keep your lights off during your cycle.

OP
OP
T

T4ylor

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t suggest the dead shrimp thing, that method literally stinks! Stick with your bottled bacteria and ammonia. Dose the amount of ammonia for the volume of tank water, the bacteria you can safely overdose and use the whole bottle. Keep your powerheads on and heater going, and keep your lights off during your cycle.
what should i do when my sump is running? add more ammonia for the extra volume?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back