NJ thousands of dead fish killed by marine algee ?

Omega0397

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Large algae blooms occurring in coastal waters is nothing new, it happens every year, especially during the summer months. Water that feeds into the ocean is overly rich in nutrients and that causes algae blooms. This is called eutrophication. Since the algae grows so quickly it is inevitable that there will be a large die off as well. When the algae dies, it decays just like anything else and can create low oxygen conditions in the water. Try Googling eutrophication and the dead zone that occurs every summer where the Mississippi flows into the Gulf of Mexico.

OP
OP
H2O

H2O

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh no not this again the other news paper said there was no oxygen sucking algee anywhere BBC news is as dumb as it gets they posted this algee bs before the fish even got tested no one seen any killer algee the water was blue clean looking not red so dinoflakes r not a suspect ..post links to oxygen eating marine algee most of them make oxygen I'm not sure if there is one

Dalmatia

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone have idea what algae could that be ?

I'm pretty sure it's got something to do with Cyanobacteria and the bacteria feeding off of the dead cyano. Apparently the bacteria that eat dead cyano take up more oxygen than the cyano can reproduce. Leaving our fish and everything else the deprived of oxygen and prob changing the pH?

Last edited:

Dalmatia

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And cyano isn't that bad if it didn't contribute to a more deadly bacteria that consumes dead cyano

alex_moua

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is very possible for an algae bloom, thats what they called them. Due to plants growing in the ocean, a certain amount can be released, sometime even a small, and some large amounts. Sad to see these poor creatures die. If not an algae boom then something must be very wrong for these fishes to die in large numbers. :[

clownfitch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Read up on it and you'll know red tide comes from Cyanobacteria and nothing else. In fresh waters they will most likely be green or blue
Post a source that states Red Tide is ANYTHING other than an algae bloom. :nerd:

clownfitch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cyanobacteria? Not algae
What is red tide?
Dr. Tracy Villareal, UTMSI.
Red tide is a naturally-occurring, higher-than-normal concentration of the microscopic algae Karenia brevis (formerly Gymnodinium breve).
This organism produces a toxin that affects the central nervous system of fish so that they are paralyzed and cannot breathe. As a result, red tide blooms often result in dead fish washing up on Gulf beaches. When red tide algae reproduce in dense concentrations or "blooms," they are visible as discolored patches of ocean water, often reddish in color. Source Red Tide FAQ

clownfitch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did not call you anything friend. The smiley was me calling myself correct in this debate. I am sorry if you misconstrued my intent. As far as this debate goes, I merely stated that Red Tide was an algae bloom as my sources also indicated and you stated that it was not algae. So algae or not? I say yes it is.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 172 72.9%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 7.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 42 17.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.1%
Back