NJ thousands of dead fish killed by marine algee ?

Dalmatia

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know from lots of reading and observation it's not algae (including my tanks). But think what you want

clownfitch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cyanobacteria? Not algae

No, maybe? It all starts from Cyanobacteria so what ever you wNt to think that's fine but here's more from Wikipedia
Algal bloom - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
According to all of the sources you posted it is algae. You said it's not, I said it is. That's all I am debating here. Sorry to take the thread in a different direction. To get back on track, when the Red Tide hits the Texas coast it mainly effects the catfish population and can be pretty devastating. I remember going to the beach one time as a child and there being numerous dead fish as well as small sharks.

Last edited:

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have removed several posts. Please keep the conversation civil.

OP
OP
H2O

H2O

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok there was no cayno or red tie in nj get that straight or post pics or it didn't happen then science says one day all life on earth started from cayno bacteria so it can't be blamed for killing fish cayno red tie what ever only thrives in polluted water but that's 2+2 it takes a Genius to figure that out :)

mtfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What a strange series of post. There are many "species" of cyanobacteria and many "species" of red tide. Both of these can cause fish kills. Many red tides are not even red in color. They are all grouped in what is called harmful algal blooms or HAB's. As mentioned the most dominant one in Texas is Karenia brevis. When a particular algal species becomes the dominant one in the water column is is called a "bloom". And yes, these blooms make a lot of oxygen during the day. But at night they use oxygen, so can deplete oxygen very quickly. Also, when they begin to die, they can consume lots of oxygen through decomposition. Remember, these are near shore waters or bay waters and act different than the open ocean. I have no idea what caused these fish to die that are listed in these post. I work for the state health department and we are responsible for regulating the oyster industry here. Red tides are a very big problem from that standpoint and I am very familiar with many types of ted tide. Here is Texas if the water gets hot enough that in itself can deplete oxygen as oxygen can not saturate in hot water as well in cooler water. Not so sure about water temperatures in California or east coast. But to state that algae cannot deplete oxygen is just not correct. All plants make and use oxygen, whether they are oak trees or single cell algae.

OP
OP
H2O

H2O

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What a strange series of post. There are many "species" of cyanobacteria and many "species" of red tide. Both of these can cause fish kills. Many red tides are not even red in color. They are all grouped in what is called harmful algal blooms or HAB's. As mentioned the most dominant one in Texas is Karenia brevis. When a particular algal species becomes the dominant one in the water column is is called a "bloom". And yes, these blooms make a lot of oxygen during the day. But at night they use oxygen, so can deplete oxygen very quickly. Also, when they begin to die, they can consume lots of oxygen through decomposition. Remember, these are near shore waters or bay waters and act different than the open ocean. I have no idea what caused these fish to die that are listed in these post. I work for the state health department and we are responsible for regulating the oyster industry here. Red tides are a very big problem from that standpoint and I am very familiar with many types of ted tide. Here is Texas if the water gets hot enough that in itself can deplete oxygen as oxygen can not saturate in hot water as well in cooler water. Not so sure about water temperatures in California or east coast. But to state that algae cannot deplete oxygen is just not correct. All plants make and use oxygen, whether they are oak trees or single cell algae.

Ok no Conspiracy Theorys please post links To Marine Algae that feeds on oxygen

mtfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As an example of why algae use oxygen and may deplete oxygen in the water, here is a link to Louisiana State Sea Grant: Louisiana Fisheries - Fact Sheets

I will post a section from this article. Bold characters are my emphasis added.

Like most plants, many algae produce oxygen during the daylight as a by-product of photosynthesis. At night these algae consume oxygen, but usually much less than was produced during the daylight. Many common situations, however, can reduce the amount of oxygen a bloom produces without reducing its nighttime oxygen demand. Extremely calm or cloudy days may reduce photosynthesis and oxygen production. This type of oxygen depletion may kill fish directly or weaken their immune systems through prolonged stress.
Temperature also influences algae and oxygen dynamics. As water becomes warmer, its capacity to hold dissolved oxygen decreases. During warm weather algae populations usually increase but much of the oxygen they produce during daylight may be lost to the atmosphere, resulting in insufficient carry- over to meet the night-time needs of fish and algae. The freshwater algae most associated with oxygen depletion are known as blue-greens. Blue-green algae generally thrive in shallow, calm, fertile, warm, brightly lit waters. Blue-greens are poor oxygen producers with significant nighttime oxygen demands. They often exhibit population explosions and abrupt die-offs, also resulting in oxygen deficits.

jackson6745

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If anyone is familiar with bunker(menhaden) schools, they are well aware how large they can be. These bait fish fill bays and estuaries…. and I mean fill them! SInce they naturally populate areas with little water flow lack of oxygen is 100% possible. I have seen it several times through the years. You just need to understand how thick these schools can be in a body of water. Right now where I am docked there is 1/3 mile creek, 1000ft wide. Water is mostly 30ft deep. The entire ride out of the creek shows me a 15ft thick school until we exit.

mtfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, H2O, if you are just trolling that is cool. I thought you wanted to know about algae and oxygen demands. I have a masters degree in marine biology and 30 years experience with toxic algae blooms. Somehow this went from that to the end of the world. If you still think plants don't use oxygen that is cool also. But they do.

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok here Earths 90% of oxygen comes from marine algae so its impossible for fish to run out of air
OceanLink | Biodviersity - Ask a Marine Scientist
I don't think you understand. Fish in the open ocean will not, but in some areas near the coast (usually areas like bays, which are surrounded mostly by land) there are "dead zones" that do not receive enough flow and, therefore, not enough oxygen exchange. It may not matter for the few who originally inhabit those areas, but when a huge shoal gets trapped in one of these spots they can quickly deplete what oxygen there is. They just don't get enough oxygented water coming into the area to keep up with the enormous demand.

As far as the plants, you missed something in biology class ;) Plants, including algae, produce oxygen by day but consume it at night. The more massive blooms can have areas at the center which, again, don't receive enough flow to replace the oxygen that's being depleted fast enough.

Last edited:
OP
OP
H2O

H2O

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, H2O, if you are just trolling that is cool. I thought you wanted to know about algae and oxygen demands. I have a masters degree in marine biology and 30 years experience with toxic algae blooms. Somehow this went from that to the end of the world. If you still think plants don't use oxygen that is cool also. But they do.
Please dont be shy post their names i would like to see what they look like

OP
OP
H2O

H2O

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exon mobil sued by NJ for a chemical spill .9 Bilion dollars for enviromental damage governor ate all the money already so no restoration is going to happen

OP
OP
H2O

H2O

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
10549964_561822113926265_527563039084194535_o.jpg
Its the Chem trails mannnnnnnnnnnnn....

But no really, I think its pretty obvious that oxygen depletion was the problem here. Case closed.
Airplane sun light pollution is now called partly cloudy if u dont see anything wrong with that then u must be getting your weather forecast from the staten island ground hog

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 171 73.1%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 7.3%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 41 17.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.1%
Back