No Filter No Problem

wakejumper22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Aquarium Profile and Equipment​

What type of saltwater aquarium is this?

Custom Waterbox 47”x18”x15”

Approx. 55 Gallons
Home Made Stand
Mixed Reef

Aquarium Water Chemistry and Parameters:​

Salinity: 1.025
Salt: NYOS PURE (See Salt for Parameters)
Nitrates: 7-13ppm

Aquarium Natural and Mechanical Filtration:​

Natural Live Rock- Gulf Live Rock

Corals, Bacteria, Pods, Phyto, Live Sand

Water Changes:​

5 Gallons once per week

Aquarium Tank Inhabitants (fish, coral, invert etc.)​

Fish List
  1. Flame Angel
  2. Starcki Damsel x2
Invert List
  1. Hermits
  2. Pistol Shrimp (hotchhiker) can’t see it but hear it
  3. Gorilla crab (hitchhiker) only saw once, not sure what to do about him
  4. Mantis Shrimp (hitchhiker) removed and gave to another reefer
  5. Assorted snails
  6. Purple Urchin
Hi All,

This is my somewhat new custom waterbox tank. This is my attempt at running a tank with no filtration and really simplifying the hobby. I’ve had several tanks over the years, all of which ended up being too much work because I found myself tinkering with gear more than enjoying the reef itself. So, that brings me to today… where I plan on attempting the “impossible.”

The only gear I have on this tank is a powerhead, heater, and ATO…. No skimmer, no overflows, no carbon, no fancy equipment whatsoever.. the tank is a custom waterbox (basically a glass rectangle).

We’re a few months in and it’s been great so far.. minimal issues.. a couple hitchhikers on the live rock but what are ya gonna do.. we’ll see how things play out. Happy with it so far.. feel free to ask questions and enjoy some pics!

IMG_0685.jpeg IMG_0677.jpeg IMG_0663.jpeg IMG_0585.jpeg IMG_9407.jpeg

OP
OP
wakejumper22

wakejumper22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Real Live Rock is always the way to go. I regret not doing so myself, but we're going to fix that.
I’ve always used dry rock… until now… and will never go back. No cycle, hitchhikers are kind of cool, and all the growth and natural bacteria, sponges, etc are all great. The stability in this tank is so much better than my last dry rock tanks.

CBonito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve always used dry rock… until now… and will never go back. No cycle, hitchhikers are kind of cool, and all the growth and natural bacteria, sponges, etc are all great. The stability in this tank is so much better than my last dry rock tanks.
Other way around for me. Always used live rock, then got bamboozled into this crap...never again!

steveschuerger

I love Gonis and Euphyllia. Maybe too much
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m really digging the set up. Good luck on this “no filter” experiment. And yes despite the bugaboo unwanted hitch hikers I’ve gone live rock all the way. And even gotten a few neat ones as well. Several still living corals, a so far well behaved mantis from my last small 20 lb delivery, and lots of sponges and feather duster worms to name a few.

OP
OP
wakejumper22

wakejumper22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Other way around for me. Always used live rock, then got bamboozled into this crap...never h

I’m really digging the set up. Good luck on this “no filter” experiment. And yes despite the bugaboo unwanted hitch hikers I’ve gone live rock all the way. And even gotten a few neat ones as well. Several still living corals, a so far well behaved mantis from my last small 20 lb delivery, and lots of sponges and feather duster worms to name a few.
Thank you!! It’s been enjoyable so far with just less to worry about. The live rock itself was fun to watch with all the critters I’d find. The reef itself just seems so much more stable with the live rock.

crazyfishmom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Beautiful setup! I did the same and got 60lb of live rock. I have loved how stable my system was even a week into it. It never cycled in the traditional sense since it just handled all nutrients from the beginning. I am starting another tank in the next few days and will use rock that I have in the sump of the current tank but will use mostly dry rock. Will see how that one goes! Also going sand free with that system but that’s another story. I will say: I’ve had three huge gorilla crabs that I’ve had to remove and have lost some Coral tot heir antics. Last night the last big one tried to eat one of my scolymia. I wasn’t able to remove him unfortunately.

Either way, rambling now. Awesome tank! Have a blast!

mh0ward

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the clean and shallow look! I'm attempting to do basically the same thing with a 21G UNS tank. Same lights as you but with a MP10 and a heater, nothing else except rock and sand. I've only had water in the tank for 5-6 weeks now, but have had no problems yet and all the inhabitants seem happy :)

OP
OP
wakejumper22

wakejumper22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful setup! I did the same and got 60lb of live rock. I have loved how stable my system was even a week into it. It never cycled in the traditional sense since it just handled all nutrients from the beginning. I am starting another tank in the next few days and will use rock that I have in the sump of the current tank but will use mostly dry rock. Will see how that one goes! Also going sand free with that system but that’s another story. I will say: I’ve had three huge gorilla crabs that I’ve had to remove and have lost some Coral tot heir antics. Last night the last big one tried to eat one of my scolymia. I wasn’t able to remove him unfortunately.

Either way, rambling now. Awesome tank! Have a blast!
Good luck with the new build!! I’m not sure how to go about catching him.. I’ve only seen him once at night with the lights off.. he’s pretty elusive

OP
OP
wakejumper22

wakejumper22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the clean and shallow look! I'm attempting to do basically the same thing with a 21G UNS tank. Same lights as you but with a MP10 and a heater, nothing else except rock and sand. I've only had water in the tank for 5-6 weeks now, but have had no problems yet and all the inhabitants seem happy :)
It’s been much easier to be honest and the tank really just runs itself.. all I do is fill the ATO and feed the tank. One water change per week! Loving to so far..

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have no skimmer or filter, how does oxygen get into the water?
Probably that big ol power head on the end. Surface agitation is all you really need.
@wakejumper22 this is a very nice system. I'm attracted to this method but still like my sump mostly for all the critters I can grow in the fuge.

crazyfishmom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Good luck with the new build!! I’m not sure how to go about catching him.. I’ve only seen him once at night with the lights off.. he’s pretty elusive
Thanks! This last one has been super hard to catch. He comes out when i broadcast feed the tank and I’ve managed to pick him up with the tongs twice only for him to move around and break free. He is crazy strong too. The others are living in my sump right now or at least I think they’re still alive. Hopefully yours doesn’t cause any trouble! My tank is pretty deep which makes trying to catch him painful.

OP
OP
wakejumper22

wakejumper22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably that big ol power head on the end. Surface agitation is all you really need.
@wakejumper22 this is a very nice system. I'm attracted to this method but still like my sump mostly for all the critters I can grow in the fuge.
Thank you! Yep, And a low Bioload… a flame angel and two starcki damsels.. powerhead breaks the surface plus the ATO and water changes.. I’ve had all kinds of equipment in the past, it just takes away the enjoyment of the actual reef.. I’ve loved this tank so far.

OP
OP
wakejumper22

wakejumper22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! This last one has been super hard to catch. He comes out when i broadcast feed the tank and I’ve managed to pick him up with the tongs twice only for him to move around and break free. He is crazy strong too. The others are living in my sump right now or at least I think they’re still alive. Hopefully yours doesn’t cause any trouble! My tank is pretty deep which makes trying to catch him painful.
Ugh… hopefully he behaves and isn’t too hungry for corals if I’ve been feeding well

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.8%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 15.5%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 81 48.2%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 52 31.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.4%
Back